Nick Delmonico #4 prospect

Tony-OH

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice write-up. Here's what I don't understand, when people say he's the best HS hitter they've seen in our system, do they compare him to Machado? You didn't say it, but you're saying this guy has a better bat than Manny. I know Machado obviously has value tied into his position, but that's lofty praise nevertheless.

So much for not having position player prospects with 7 of the top 10 non-pitchers (assuming Schoop and Machado in top 3). Problem now is where's the pictching? Unfortunately this is the most negative aspect of MacPhail's legacy and don't really see Angelos as the reason behind the lack of quality pitching depth.

I am the God of Hellfire!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NOErZuzZpS8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Okay, that is the most ridiculous segue into a song I've ever heard. It actually made me laugh out loud. I don't know if that was intended. :P

Very nice write-up. Here's what I don't understand, when people say he's the best HS hitter they've seen in our system, do they compare him to Machado? You didn't say it, but you're saying this guy has a better bat than Manny. I know Machado obviously has value tied into his position, but that's lofty praise nevertheless.

Great question. I'm praying the scouts know what they are talking about. Was Joe Jordan's last draft his best?

My impression of that statement was that he has the best overall tools of plate discipline, power, and average for a high school hitter. A lot of Machado's value is in his defensive ability at shortstop, even though I think his bat has a chance to be pretty special as well. If Machado was a first baseman, I doubt he would have been drafted as high as he was. Saying that, I'm going totally off the scouting reports on Delmonico since I really haven't seen too much of him besides some video I found on the net. I like the swing a lot and anyone who knows me knows I love guys with good plate discipline mixed with some power.

When I was put together the list, I ran it through a few scouts I knew and not one of them thought I overshot Delmonico. i guess we'll see, but from what I heard, he sounds like he has a chance to be pretty special.

When I was put together the list, I ran it through a few scouts I knew and not one of them thought I overshot Delmonico.

Who are some of the players some scouts think you put too high? Or too low? And not just by a slot or two.

Who are some of the players some scouts think you put too high? Or too low? And not just by a slot or two.

There are two guys I have in the 20s that one scout thought should be in the 11-15 range, but you'll just have to wait for those lists to come out. ;)

Or, you'll just call me like you usually do and I'll just end up telling you. :D

OK, I'm in a dreamy mood.

The idea of an infield consisting of Delmonico, Schoop, Machado and Esposito, circa 2015, has me pretty excited. I can't remember the last time the OH top 10 had a prospect at every IF position, and certainly not with three of them ranked in the OH top 4.

In my ideal world, Machado would be so strong in 2012 that we could think about trading Hardy next offseason and getting a pretty good return.

It's odd, the team stinks, the farm system seems pretty weak overall, and yet I can see some secnarios where the team is both young and pretty good if the breaks go our way.

I do have a couple of questions for you, Tony:

1. Do you see Hoes slipping from #3 to #5 as a downgrade in your evaluation, or is it more a case that two very good new prospects have slipped in ahead of him and Schoop has been upgraded?

2. Same question with Bobby Bundy (I guess we will hear more about this later). Does he stay out of the top 10 because these younger prospects are that exciting, or is it more a case that you see limitations that belie his good stats at Frederick?

This is a list with three players who have never played in the minors, and two who haven't played full-season ball, plus Bridwell who had just a few outings (not very successful) at Delmarva. That is a list that is long on promise and pretty good ceilings, but short on an actual track record of performance. No help is coming for the major league team in 2012, and maybe not much in 2013 either. In 2014, watch out!

OK, I'm in a dreamy mood.

The idea of an infield consisting of Delmonico, Schoop, Machado and Esposito, circa 2015, has me pretty excited. I can't remember the last time the OH top 10 had a prospect at every IF position, and certainly not with three of them ranked in the OH top 4.

In my ideal world, Machado would be so strong in 2012 that we could think about trading Hardy next offseason and getting a pretty good return.

It's odd, the team stinks, the farm system seems pretty weak overall, and yet I can see some secnarios where the team is both young and pretty good if the breaks go our way.

I do have a couple of questions for you, Tony:

1. Do you see Hoes slipping from #3 to #5 as a downgrade in your evaluation, or is it more a case that two very good new prospects have slipped in ahead of him and Schoop has been upgraded?

2. Same question with Bobby Bundy (I guess we will hear more about this later). Does he stay out of the top 10 because these younger prospects are that exciting, or is it more a case that you see limitations that belie his good stats at Frederick?

This is a list with three players who have never played in the minors, and two who haven't played full-season ball, plus Bridwell who had just a few outings (not very successful) at Delmarva. That is a list that is long on promise and pretty good ceilings, but short on an actual track record of performance. No help is coming for the major league team in 2012, and maybe not much in 2013 either. In 2014, watch out!

You need to follow this dream up with a dream about Bundy, Bundy, Drake, Bridwell, Klein.....

Archived