+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 49
  1. #31
    Frobby is online now Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Bethesda MD
    Posts
    35,418
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry18 View Post
    He's a piker at 10-to-1. Koji was 11-1 for us last year, and 23-1 during his Texas stint this year. But Bundy is better than 30-1! (In high school, of course.)

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    20,629
    Quote Originally Posted by jamalshw View Post
    Probably about as many times as you.

    And as I pointed out in my comment, I would go with Machado based on a different philosophy than what Tony is using in his picks. As it appears from the pole on who the #1 will be, I'm not in the minority.
    You can build a case for either guy to be number one. There really is no wrong answer here at this stage.

  3. #33
    CA-ORIOLE is offline Plus Members Since 9/11 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SOCAL
    Posts
    13,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Frobby View Post
    My favorite stat, half of which you mentioned: 158 K's, 5 walks. I've never seen a K/BB rate like that, at any level.

    So we can safely assume he didn't outpitch his peripherals then.
    Last edited by CA-ORIOLE; 11-11-2011 at 02:14 PM.

  4. #34
    Hallas is offline Plus Member Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Somewhere in the LA area
    Posts
    1,925
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAbird View Post
    Of course. I just get the impression that there were plenty on this board willing to dream on Machado after the draft largely based on comments from Callis and others, yet many more seem skeptical of Bundy. Just curious why.
    My main concern is that projecting a pitcher in high school against lower-than-rookie-league competition seems dicey at best, and while I do take into account that scouts universally consider him to be an exceptional, exceptional pitcher, the actual performance part simply has too much noise for me to really take it seriously.

    Machado isn't that much older, and has performed well while by far the youngest player in his leagues, all while having an extremely aggressive promotion schedule. Even if he didn't light the world on fire, he played in high-A and looked like he belonged, as an 18 year old. He may not have looked like God, but he could still have a God-like progression simply because he reached that level at such a young age.

    So for me it's a question of whether I take a scout's word (Bundy) versus taking a scout's (slightly less glowing) word in combination with his performance, which has been exceptional given his age (Machado). I went with the latter.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    3,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Hallas View Post
    My main concern is that projecting a pitcher in high school against lower-than-rookie-league competition seems dicey at best, and while I do take into account that scouts universally consider him to be an exceptional, exceptional pitcher, the actual performance part simply has too much noise for me to really take it seriously.

    Machado isn't that much older, and has performed well while by far the youngest player in his leagues, all while having an extremely aggressive promotion schedule. Even if he didn't light the world on fire, he played in high-A and looked like he belonged, as an 18 year old. He may not have looked like God, but he could still have a God-like progression simply because he reached that level at such a young age.

    So for me it's a question of whether I take a scout's word (Bundy) versus taking a scout's (slightly less glowing) word in combination with his performance, which has been exceptional given his age (Machado). I went with the latter.
    Completely logical. You could make a strong case for either. No argument for me.

    My post, then, was not directed at you. It was directed at some posters who felt comfortable projecting Machado as an elite talent straight out of the draft but do not feel comfortable doing the same with Bundy. It seems to me the "scout's word" had more weight with Machado around here. Could just be my perception though.

  6. #36
    OrangeJerseys's Avatar
    OrangeJerseys is offline Plus Member since 02/07 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arcata, CA
    Posts
    7,397
    Will either Machado or D. Bundy be going to ML spring training?

  7. #37
    Hallas is offline Plus Member Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Somewhere in the LA area
    Posts
    1,925
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAbird View Post
    Completely logical. You could make a strong case for either. No argument for me.

    My post, then, was not directed at you. It was directed at some posters who felt comfortable projecting Machado as an elite talent straight out of the draft but do not feel comfortable doing the same with Bundy. It seems to me the "scout's word" had more weight with Machado around here. Could just be my perception though.
    Sure. part of this was in response to the post I had in the Machado thread.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lanham, MD
    Posts
    8,261
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAbird View Post
    Of course. I just get the impression that there were plenty on this board willing to dream on Machado after the draft largely based on comments from Callis and others, yet many more seem skeptical of Bundy. Just curious why.
    Yeah I know what you mean. I think it's just the big media impression. Not a ton of people are really subject matter experts on the draft. I'd take the knowledge of a handful of posters here over some of the media coverage the draft gets, but when those big names jump and praise someone the masses follow the lead.

    There's that extra stigma that follows HS pitchers even more than HS hitters, and that's probably the case here, but people tend to forget Kershaw was a HS pick too, they aren't all busts.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lanham, MD
    Posts
    8,261
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJerseys View Post
    Will either Machado or D. Bundy be going to ML spring training?
    Hmmmm....I could MAYBE see Machado and Schoop getting a little taste and going to AA since Stockstill is pretty aggressive, but Bundy won't this year.

  10. #40
    Larry18 is offline Plus Member since 01/14 Bowie Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by allstar1579 View Post
    Hmmmm....I could MAYBE see Machado and Schoop getting a little taste and going to AA since Stockstill is pretty aggressive, but Bundy won't this year.
    Doesn't Bundy have a major league contract?

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lanham, MD
    Posts
    8,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry18 View Post
    Doesn't Bundy have a major league contract?
    Yeah but that doesn't mean he'll be in Major League Spring Training, they'll want him working with the appropriate group and working on specific things. They could have him work there for a while if they want the higher level instructors working with him a little while, but it would do him no service at all to have him pitching against ML players in the spring at 18 years old.

  12. #42
    Larry18 is offline Plus Member since 01/14 Bowie Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by allstar1579 View Post
    Yeah but that doesn't mean he'll be in Major League Spring Training, they'll want him working with the appropriate group and working on specific things. They could have him work there for a while if they want the higher level instructors working with him a little while, but it would do him no service at all to have him pitching against ML players in the spring at 18 years old.

    I've never heard of a player with a MLB contract not coming to camp.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lanham, MD
    Posts
    8,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry18 View Post
    I've never heard of a player with a MLB contract not coming to camp.
    Go track HS players that signed ML contracts and see where they went. Signing a ML contract does nothing except force a team to keep them on the 40-man roster, which makes them start using their options right away and lets them get to FA younger. They don't play with the Major League team in Spring because they are on the 40-man, they will still go wherever they belong. You'll see college guys that sign ML deals go to camp with the big team because they are within a year or two of the bigs and the team wants to evaluate how far they are from ML. Doesn't make any sense with the 18 year old kids because they are no where near ready for ML hitters. They need to compete against the lower competition and build on success.

    What good would it do letting Dylan pitch to Pujols in the Spring? It'd just beat his confidence down.

  14. #44
    Frobby is online now Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Bethesda MD
    Posts
    35,418
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry18 View Post
    I've never heard of a player with a MLB contract not coming to camp.
    Neither have I. But probably just for a few days.

  15. #45
    csgordos's Avatar
    csgordos is offline Plus Member since 12/08 Major Leagues Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Reading, PA
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by allstar1579 View Post
    Yeah but that doesn't mean he'll be in Major League Spring Training, they'll want him working with the appropriate group and working on specific things. They could have him work there for a while if they want the higher level instructors working with him a little while, but it would do him no service at all to have him pitching against ML players in the spring at 18 years old.
    With the Orioles lack of development in the past with the minors, this may not have been a bad idea. Hopefully, that will be different now with a different GM. I would think in the better organizations I would want the minors coaches who are used to dealing with the issues a new pro has vs. a MLB coach who is refining what they have already learned. I could be way off base with this thought though.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

OriolesHangout.com is an unofficial site and not associated with the Baltimore Orioles and part of Hangout Ventures LLC. Copyright ©2013 | Privacy Policy | Advertise with us