+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Oliver Drake #15 Prospect

I like the prospect of a power sinker split-finger combo out of the pen.

http://www.orioleshangout.com/articl...ke-15-prospect

RZNJ is offline Plus member Since 04/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I know I won't get an answer just yet, but it seems to me that Clayton Schrader has a higher ceiling as a reliever than guys like Oliver Drake and Kyle Simon?

Quote Originally Posted by RZNJ View Post
    I know I won't get an answer just yet, but it seems to me that Clayton Schrader has a higher ceiling as a reliever than guys like Oliver Drake and Kyle Simon?
    Command is the difference for me.

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I don't know why, but Drake has never impressed me that much. I mean, it's nice that we were clever enough to realize he was eligible for the draft and select a decent talent in the 43rd round, but I think Drake's upside is to have a career like Jason Berken's. I would have put him lower down the list -- but of course, I've never seen him throw.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobby View Post
    I don't know why, but Drake has never impressed me that much. I mean, it's nice that we were clever enough to realize he was eligible for the draft and select a decent talent in the 43rd round, but I think Drake's upside is to have a career like Jason Berken's. I would have put him lower down the list -- but of course, I've never seen him throw.
    At this point in the list, a player with Jason Berken-type skills is about what you have to expect, right? I like what I heard about the power sinker and if he went to the bullpen, I could see him getting a spike in velocity. The other thing is guys who can go 8 and 9 innings don't grow on trees. The fact that he found two effective pitches and has the ability to maintain his stuff deep into games makes him intriguing to me.

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-OH View Post
    At this point in the list, a player with Jason Berken-type skills is about what you have to expect, right?
    Put it this way, Berken was the #21 prospect in 2008 after a year in which he posted a 3.58 ERA in a full season at Bowie. For Drake to appear at #15 just shows me that our farm system is much weaker than it was three years ago.

Put it this way, Berken was the #21 prospect in 2008 after a year in which he posted a 3.58 ERA in a full season at Bowie. For Drake to appear at #15 just shows me that our farm system is much weaker than it was three years ago.
    I would say that Drake has as a slightly higher upside than Berken. Berken's slider really became a plus pitch once he was moved to relief and that made him better than I thought when he was listed at #21. Drake has the pitches you look for in a power 8th inning guy and if he can get that sinker up to the 93-95 MPH range out of the pen, you have to start thinking Jim Johnson.

wildcard is offline Plus Member since 11/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I don't think he makes the 40 man roster. He will be 25 years old next year on his way back to Bowie to prove he can do better then a 5.20 ERA. That is probably not attractive enough to get picked in the draft. JMO.

I would say that Drake has as a slightly higher upside than Berken. Berken's slider really became a plus pitch once he was moved to relief and that made him better than I thought when he was listed at #21. Drake has the pitches you look for in a power 8th inning guy and if he can get that sinker up to the 93-95 MPH range out of the pen, you have to start thinking Jim Johnson.
    Obviously, I like the JJ comp, but I think JJ is way better than we can hope for Drake. Crossing my fingers that I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcard View Post
    I don't think he makes the 40 man roster. He will be 25 years old next year on his way back to Bowie to prove he can do better then a 5.20 ERA. That is probably not attractive enough to get picked in the draft. JMO.
    You have to remember, the Rule 5 draft is about taking guys with upside. Drake has the mature body and a power sinker, split-finger combo that you can easily imagine will have some success in the major leagues in the pen. He's the kind of guy teams just might take a chance and I doubt his ERA over 12 starts is going to be some major hindrance. There are at least 8 guys on the current 40-man roster that I would not protect over Drake.

Obviously, I like the JJ comp, but I think JJ is way better than we can hope for Drake. Crossing my fingers that I'm wrong.
    Well, we really don't know because we have to make a projection for his stuff based off going into a relief role. Remember, JJ was a non descript AAA starter at 24-year old with a 90-92 MPH fastball and loopy curveball. In fact, when Johnson made his only start in 2006, he averaged 88.6 MPH on his fastball. Drake has found a good sinker and he's a strike thrower. The curveball might even improve out of the pen which would give him three pitches. If anything, when I look at the potential, I might be undershooting him at this stage.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    You have to remember, the Rule 5 draft is about taking guys with upside. Drake has the mature body and a power sinker, split-finger combo that you can easily imagine will have some success in the major leagues in the pen. He's the kind of guy teams just might take a chance and I doubt his ERA over 12 starts is going to be some major hindrance. There are at least 8 guys on the current 40-man roster that I would not protect over Drake.
    I know you are high on him and he have explained why. I just don't think DD will protect a guy with a 5.20 ERA at AA. How often do guys with those numbers get picked in the the Rule 5 draft much less stick on the major league roster for a year?

I know you are high on him and he have explained why. I just don't think DD will protect a guy with a 5.20 ERA at AA. How often do guys with those numbers get picked in the the Rule 5 draft much less stick on the major league roster for a year?
    I'll betcha a beer that the Orioles protect him on the 40-man and if they don't, he gets selected.

Whether he makes it or not will depend on how he throws in the spring, but if Beato was selected and taken than Drake will be.

I'll betcha a beer that the Orioles protect him on the 40-man and if they don't, he gets selected.

Whether he makes it of not will depend on how he throws in the spring but if Beato was selected and taken than Drake will be.
    Beato was a #1 draft choice who was 23 with 2.11 ERA at AA. And you know I was not happy about him not being protected.

I'll buy you a beer whether he gets protected or not.

Beato was a #1 draft choice who was 23 with 2.11 ERA at AA. And you know I was not happy about him not being protected.

I'll buy you a beer whether he gets protected or not.
    I think you are giving the stats too much weight, but hey, you can have any opinion you like. As for Beato, once he got through the league he got hit around pretty good. He might have stuck but he ended up pitching how I thought he would pitch in the big leagues. If that's good enough for the Mets well good for them. I'll take the beer though.