+ Reply to Thread

Trent Mummey #16

Why not? The kid can't stay on the field but he does have an interesting skill set.

http://www.orioleshangout.com/articl...ey-16-prospect

RZNJ is offline Plus member Since 04/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    In other words, Mummey does everything better than Xavier Avery? I guess the ranking says a lot. I like Mummey here or even a little higher.

Frobby is online now Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I really wish Mummey had stayed healthy last year, because I really liked what he did in the few weeks he was on the field. Two questions:

1. Does Mummey start at Frederick again this year since his playing time in 2011 was so limited, or will the Orioles be aggressive and move him to Bowie?

2. Defensively, in what order would you rank Angle, Hudson, Mummey, Avery, Ruettiger and Davis? My sense is that Mummey might rank second (to Angle) in that group. Is that fair?

Quote Originally Posted by Frobby View Post
    I really wish Mummey had stayed healthy last year, because I really liked what he did in the few weeks he was on the field. Two questions:

1. Does Mummey start at Frederick again this year since his playing time in 2011 was so limited, or will the Orioles be aggressive and move him to Bowie?
    I think it will depend on who is the Director of Minor League Operations and how aggressive they want to be. Like I said int eh write up, I can see him starting at Frederick and then getting moved by mid May to Bowie.

2. Defensively, in what order would you rank Angle, Hudson, Mummey, Avery, Ruettiger and Davis? My sense is that Mummey might rank second (to Angle) in that group. Is that fair?
    I would rank them as center fielders as Angle, Mummey, Davis with Avery, Hudson and Ruettiger as left fielders.

scottbbfm is offline Plus member since 06/09 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    He looks like one of those Tampa Ray guys that they seem to continuously trot out there and have them contribute. All while playing a different OF position every night, and maybe even 1B in the 9th inning.

eb45 is offline Aberdeen Reporter All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by scottbbfm View Post
    He looks like one of those Tampa Ray guys that they seem to continuously trot out there and have them contribute. All while playing a different OF position every night, and maybe even 1B in the 9th inning.
    I'd like to know what people who are better at scouting than me think of Sam Fuld as a potential comp.

Quote Originally Posted by eb45 View Post
    I'd like to know what people who are better at scouting than me think of Sam Fuld as a potential comp.
    They have some similar skill sets, but I think Mummey has a little more power and speed. I wonder what the story was with Fuld not starting his minor league career until age 23? That certainly put him behind the curve right off the bat. Either way, I haven't personally seen Mummey because he's been hurt every time I've been up to see his teams this year, but from the reports, he's got the potential to still be a starter in the MLB although a 4th outfielder is more likely. We'll know more once he gets to AA and once he actually gets 500 PAs in during a season.

eb45 is offline Aberdeen Reporter All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Fuld tore his labrum in the second-to-last game of his senior year, so he didn't get started playing until the year after he was drafted.

I was thinking Mummey had a bit more power, but will it really play as he gets higher up the ladder, given his frame? I like him a lot and he's certainly done nothing on the field to concern me, but I don't want to get my hopes up that he'll be more than a fourth OF.

cindyluvsbrady is offline Plus Member since 03/03 Hall of Fame Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I love Baby Trent!

waroriole is offline Plus Member Since 6/08 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    A big War Eagle to Trent Mummey.

Frobby is online now Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Nice article on Mummey on milb.com today. http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/n...vkey=news_milb He is running a baseball clinic for kids this winter. I like this quote:

"I'm always teaching kids about counts," said Mummey, who hit .293 in 29 games this season. "It's 0-0 when you step in the box, and if the zone you want to hit is middle-in and [the pitcher] throws outside, you don't have to swing at it. Even if it's a strike, oh well, it's only 0-1 and you still have two more strikes to go. ... There's just so much mental stuff that goes on when you're up there at the plate."

Quote Originally Posted by Frobby View Post
    Nice article on Mummey on milb.com today. http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/n...vkey=news_milb He is running a baseball clinic for kids this winter. I like this quote:
    Mummey knows the game. He's a rat. No flashy tools, but I have faith that, if he stays healthy, he'll play in MLB.