+ Reply to Thread

JayThomas is offline Plus Member since 04/11 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Ouch. It really seems like we should cut bait with guys like Avery and Adams if some other team is still focusing on the potential.

SoxHotCorner is offline Plus Member since 11/11 Major Leagues Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Duquette will, he's already scoured the organizational charts to see what he's going to keep, what he's going to give a year or two to, and what he's cutting bait with. He will no doubt be bringing in his guys this upcoming draft as well as an influx in international players.

LookinUp is offline Plus Member Since 6/08 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Absent a trade, I'm fine with Avery staying in AA. Frankly, I think they promoted him waaaay too fast anyway. Those 1900 ABs and innings in the OF are unique for him because of his lack of dedication to baseball before being drafted.

I am not saying that he'll realize his potential. I'm simply saying that he gets 2 more years to develop a comfort level and consistency, from me at least.

Can_of_corn is offline Plus Member since 12/09 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by JayThomas View Post
    Ouch. It really seems like we should cut bait with guys like Avery and Adams if some other team is still focusing on the potential.
    Ain't like he is stealing playing time from someone more deserving.

Wish he was.

Not being able to stick in CF is going to kill his chances.

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Can_of_corn View Post
    Not being able to stick in CF is going to kill his chances.
    That's where I come out, too. I should note that Avery is having a pretty good AFL campaign in which he has cut his K rate considerably. But I completely understand why Tony has downgraded him if he can't play CF.

JayThomas is offline Plus Member since 04/11 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Frobby View Post
    That's where I come out, too. I should note that Avery is having a pretty good AFL campaign in which he has cut his K rate considerably. But I completely understand why Tony has downgraded him if he can't play CF.
    He is having a good AFL. It's hard to be enthused though because it's well within the very streaky pattern that he's shown. It'll take what Tony said - improved peripherals for a full season at AA - to get back to being a desirable prospect. If somebody wants to pay more for that possibilty than our organization, then move him even if he's not blocking anybody.