+ Reply to Thread

2011 Orioles 21-30 Prospects

Plus members can read all about the 21-30 prospects.

http://www.orioleshangout.com/articl...1-30-prospects

Tony,

Always appreciate and enjoy this part of the offseason, it is why I'm a member. One thing I'm curious about: What is Ryan Berry's current ceiling? His drop off this year is befuddling me.

Quote Originally Posted by Oriolidae85 View Post
    Tony,

Always appreciate and enjoy this part of the offseason, it is why I'm a member. One thing I'm curious about: What is Ryan Berry's current ceiling? His drop off this year is befuddling me.
    I see him as a middle reliever, but he needs to prove he can stay healthy and get guys out at Double-A and above. Without the injury he probably would have fell in the 20-25 range.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-OH View Post
    I see him as a middle reliever, but he needs to prove he can stay healthy and get guys out at Double-A and above. Without the injury he probably would have fell in the 20-25 range.

Could the Orioles just use Brian Ward as their back up catcher until something better comes along? Could he make that leap defensively? I realize he would hit like a pitcher.

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I don't think Troy Patton is still rookie-eligible, though he is right on the borderline. One branch of the eligibility test is having spent more than 45 days on the active roster when the roster is limited to 25 players (i.e., before September). By my count, he spent 47 days on the active roster this year before September.

In any event, if Patton is eligible I would have put him somewhere in the top 20. He doesn't have amazing stuff, and I guess at this point he's a reliever, but I still think he'll have a pretty good major league career.

DrungoHazewood is online now Hangout Contributor Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    Could the Orioles just use Brian Ward as their back up catcher until something better comes along? Could he make that leap defensively? I realize he would hit like a pitcher.
    There have to be better options than pulling a Jeff Fiorentino and calling up a guy from Frederick to play in the majors. He would have to be a masterful defensive catcher, and I kind of doubt he is given that he spent all of his age 24 and 25 seasons in the Carolina League.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobby View Post
    I don't think Troy Patton is still rookie-eligible, though he is right on the borderline. One branch of the eligibility test is having spent more than 45 days on the active roster when the roster is limited to 25 players (i.e., before September). By my count, he spent 47 days on the active roster this year before September.

In any event, if Patton is eligible I would have put him somewhere in the top 20. He doesn't have amazing stuff, and I guess at this point he's a reliever, but I still think he'll have a pretty good major league career.
    I was told by the Orioles that he is still rookie eligible. I'll double check again though. Who in the top 20 would you replace with Patton?

Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    I don't think they are going to jump him to the major leagues from Frederick and besides, I think they need to see how he'll hit at Bowie next year first. Ward is an interesting player because of his defensive abilities, but he's been a zero with the bat until last year when he was adequate. If he can put up similar numbers at Bowie next year then he could become an option down the road to back up Wieters, but I think the Orioles would prefer to go with a veteran backup next season.

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Who in the top 20 would you replace with Patton?
    It's a good question. I think Patton is more likely than Adams, Miclat or Angle to have a solid major league career. I don't know enough about the pitchers we drafted in 2011 to have much of an opinion as to whether they have a better ceiling than Patton.

That seems a bit odd, considering he was no. 9 last year. If he had been healthy, would he really have dropped 11-16 spots? I still like the guy, he was pretty filthy in the Carolina League playoffs (3 shutout appearances of 2+ innings). I do agree that we need to see what he can do in AA, and it's a shame that he didn't have that opportunity in 2011 due to his injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobby View Post
    That seems a bit odd, considering he was no. 9 last year. If he had been healthy, would he really have dropped 11-16 spots? I still like the guy, he was pretty filthy in the Carolina League playoffs (3 shutout appearances of 2+ innings). I do agree that we need to see what he can do in AA, and it's a shame that he didn't have that opportunity in 2011 due to his injury.
    I didn't get to see him this year due to the injuries, but the scouts that did thought his stuff backed up a bit and he was already iffy to begin with. Hopefully he'll be at full strength next year and his stuff will fully rebound.

Oldorioles is offline Plus Member since 04/11 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Tony,

Interesting list as always. Will you also be doing a "Players to Keep An Eye On" list like you did last year of players not making the top 30 but worth following as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldorioles View Post
    Tony,

Interesting list as always. Will you also be doing a "Players to Keep An Eye On" list like you did last year of players not making the top 30 but worth following as well?
    Yep, I'll be doing a quick line or two on 30 more guys. Should be out before the week is done.

Oldorioles is offline Plus Member since 04/11 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Yep, I'll be doing a quick line or two on 30 more guys. Should be out before the week is done.
    That's great, there's several more guys I'm hoping you'll weigh in on. Thanks!