HHP: Do you agree with DD not handing our young pitchers automatic spots in the rotation?

ChaosLex

Given the inventory we've built this offseason (and the poll I posted, which indicates most of you think we're not done on this front yet), it'd seem some of our young guns won't start the season in Baltimore as they have in years past. Either that or they'll start the season in the bullpen.

Do you support this idea?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Given the inventory we've built this offseason (and the poll I posted, which indicates most of you think we're not done on this front yet), it'd seem some of our young guns won't start the season in Baltimore as they have in years past. Either that or they'll start the season in the bullpen.

No, I think it is a better idea to just hand rotation spots to underserving and unmotivated young pitchers -sarcasm

As I see it there are seven SPs you could argue for the OD rotation:

Guthrie

Britton

Arrieta

Matusz

Hunter

Wada

Chen

Others like Bergesen, Tillman, and Simon may have a chance of making starts at some point in the season but should either be in the bullpen or the minors on Opening Day unless there is an injury disaster.

Guthrie of course is a lock if not traded. The "extra" SPs we have right now may placate those who are worried about trading Guthrie.

Arrieta and Britton should be given spots. They both showed signs of promise last year and seem to be the two surest bets for future success.

The last two spots should be up for grabs in spring training. I would hope for Matusz and Chen earning those spots. Wada and Hunter in the bullpen. If Matusz looks anything like his '09 or '10 self I am giving him a rotation spot even if his spring training isn't wowing with the stats.

It does look like we have the best group of SP options in recent years but I have learned to be very hesitant in proclaiming that our depth will save the day later in the season.

It doesn't make much sense to me either, but I don't think some people are happy with this idea. *shrugs*

But...but...we need to "see what we got" with our young players. They should be given at least two full seasons at the ML level regardless of outcome to generate a large enough sample size so we don't risk the horror of possibly misidentifying the true potential of one of them. Right?

No, I'm not serious, but I wish I had a nickel for every time I hear an argument similar to this on the subject of struggling young players.

If the burden is on the young player to demonstrate he deserves a major league job, I think that's generally a healthy thing. There's room to make the occasional exception (Wieters) when common sense tells you it's warranted. It's time for the major league club to get out of the development business except for finishing touches.

I would agree if we had or he was bringing in high ceiling pitching that will matter long term...But that's not really happening with the potential exception of Chen.

Now, if a guy like BMat goes to ST and still looks awful, then of course he should be sent down.

But he should go into ST with a spot in the rotation but its tenuous.

I think Guthrie(if he isn't traded)

Britton

Chen

Wada

should be in the rotation. If Arrieta is healthy he should be too. But if any of Matusz, Hunter, Eveland, show well in ST, then they could move Wada to the pen. If Guthrie is traded or Arrieta isn't fully recovered that leaves an extra spot to compete for. I think Matusz has a lot to prove.

I would agree if we had or he was bringing in high ceiling pitching that will matter long term...But that's not really happening with the potential exception of Chen.

Now, if a guy like BMat goes to ST and still looks awful, then of course he should be sent down.

Yeah how about everyone goes in with a spot in the rotation and in the spring they will win there job or lose their job....May the best five start the season...And the next two will be starting no later than June.

This team hasn't had the 8 Major League starting quality pitchers we need to have a legit Major League staff in 14 years...We might actually be getting close to one next year...Starting to get pumped about this season.

Come On DD give us 2/3 more good impactful moves this offseason and I think your ready for ST.

As I see it there are seven SPs you could argue for the OD rotation:

Guthrie

Britton

Arrieta

Matusz

Hunter

Wada

Chen

Others like Bergesen, Tillman, and Simon may have a chance of making starts at some point in the season but should either be in the bullpen or the minors on Opening Day unless there is an injury disaster.

Guthrie of course is a lock if not traded. The "extra" SPs we have right now may placate those who are worried about trading Guthrie.

Arrieta and Britton should be given spots. They both showed signs of promise last year and seem to be the two surest bets for future success.

The last two spots should be up for grabs in spring training. I would hope for Matusz and Chen earning those spots. Wada and Hunter in the bullpen. If Matusz looks anything like his '09 or '10 self I am giving him a rotation spot even if his spring training isn't wowing with the stats.

It does look like we have the best group of SP options in recent years but I have learned to be very hesitant in proclaiming that our depth will save the day later in the season.

Agree with the bolded! Britton did everything he needed to to get a second year. Pitched well to start, struggled when the league adjusted, and he adjusted back later.

Jake too. I have high hopes for him this year. He improved a lot of his problem areas (improved but not completely fixed...) and this will be the first year in a long time he has pitched without the bone chips.

But I do agree with Lex's thread. It's always a good idea to create REAL competition for roster spots. Even for Jake and Zach. All of them.

YES. No one - in a healthy organization - should be "handed" anything on an ML roster. We've been knighting these kids prematurely for more than 10 years now. DD seems to have a much more realistic understanding of the difference between "potential" and winning at the ML level.

YES. No one - in a healthy organization - should be "handed" anything on an ML roster. We've been knighting these kids prematurely for more than 10 years now. DD seems to have a much more realistic understanding of the difference between "potential" and winning at the ML level.

Remember he almost sounded appalled that some of the cavalry hadn't done a full season at AA. ;)

So you don't like the idea of bringing in competition for guys like Matusz to make them have to work that much harder in the offseason knowing that a spot isn't guaranteed?

I don't know, we kept on waiting for DCab to show his stuff year after year and we all know how that turned out.

I mean, I don't wanna deny the kids their chance to play in the major and show their stuff... I just think they need to show something first.

Archived