clapdiddy is offline Plus Member Since 02/03 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Still don't understand why we are heavily interested in Cordero...

nate22 is offline Plus Member since 05/11 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by backwardsk;2662439[B
    ]I can't get over that he's only 30[/B]. Seems like he's been playing forever.
    Well he is Dominican. They can age 3 or 4 years over a span of a couple days.

My prediction? Prince is no longer an option for the Rangers. Betemit signals a platoon at 3B/DH. We sign Prince and send Reynolds over to Texas for Koji =)

Quote Originally Posted by backwardsk View Post
    I can't get over that he's only 30. Seems like he's been playing forever.
    Considering he's from the D.R., in all likelihood he's not 30.

Quote Originally Posted by clapdiddy View Post
    Still don't understand why we are heavily interested in Cordero...

Cordero has legit options out there. He won;t sign here unless we overpay which I don't think we are going to do.

Quote Originally Posted by nate22 View Post
    Well he is Dominican. They can age 3 or 4 years over a span of a couple days.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccbird View Post
    Not the case with Betemit. He age discrepancy went the OTHER way - he told the Braves that he was older than he was, in order to sign his contract.

TakebackOPACY is offline Plus Member Since 12/07 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by backwardsk View Post
    I can't get over that he's only 30. Seems like he's been playing forever.
    Oh, Betemit's story is the opposite. He was signed by the Braves as a supposed 16-year old. Years later, when he switched agents, it was revealed that he was actually only 14 1/2 when the Braves signed him. His new agent (Shapiro) used this to try to claim his contract was illegal and get him to become a free agent. The Braves were fined $100,000 and banned by MLB from signing Dominicans for six months.

http://savannahnow.com/stories/02290...vesnotes.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Coker View Post
    Not the case with Betemit. He age discrepancy went the OTHER way - he told the Braves that he was older than he was, in order to sign his contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by TakebackOPACY View Post
    Oh, Betemit's story is the opposite. He was signed by the Braves as a supposed 16-year old. Years later, when he switched agents, it was revealed that he was actually only 14 1/2 when the Braves signed him. His new agent (Shapiro) used this to try to claim his contract was illegal and get him to become a free agent. The Braves were fined $100,000 and banned by MLB from signing Dominicans for six months.

http://savannahnow.com/stories/02290...vesnotes.shtml
    Yet somehow I could probably still be convinced he's not 30.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I don't want to take this thread on a tangent, but let's not pity the poor MLB team who was fooled by a kid. The Braves most likely scooped him up before he got to 16 by helping him with false ID. EDIT: Which would be why the MLB punished the Braves.

And the majority of players who have been found to be older than originally thought likely had help from MLB scouts who benefited.

Yeah, me too. I guess one never knows.

Not the case with Betemit. He age discrepancy went the OTHER way - THE Braves told him he was older than he was, in order to sign his contract.
    That is true BTW

SrMeowMeow is offline Plus Member Since December 2008 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Signing Cordero, although off-topic, would really hurt Duquette in my estimation.

It was really quite the scandal the other way. He has been around for a while, because he was playing very very young. He got caught.
    Last edited by weams; 01-24-2012 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TakebackOPACY View Post
    I don't want to take this thread on a tangent, but let's not pity the poor MLB team who was fooled by a kid. The Braves most likely scooped him up before he got to 16 by helping him with false ID. EDIT: Which would be why the MLB punished the Braves.

And the majority of players who have been found to be older than originally thought likely had help from MLB scouts who benefited.
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    That is true BTW
    Oh, it wasn't meant to be taken that way

Uncle showed Braves the original birth-certificate, I think?