adamwolff11 is offline Plus Member Since February 2009 Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Betemit is 30?

If you had asked me to guess I would have said 33 at youngest, more like 35 or so.

MrOrange82 is offline Plus Member since 8/10 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by adamwolff11 View Post
    Betemit is 30?

If you had asked me to guess I would have said 33 at youngest, more like 35 or so.
    He's like Andruw Jones, but less successful. Been around for forever.

24fps is offline Plus Member Since 4/08 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by TakebackOPACY View Post
    Oh, Betemit's story is the opposite. He was signed by the Braves as a supposed 16-year old. Years later, when he switched agents, it was revealed that he was actually only 14 1/2 when the Braves signed him. His new agent (Shapiro) used this to try to claim his contract was illegal and get him to become a free agent. The Braves were fined $100,000 and banned by MLB from signing Dominicans for six months.

http://savannahnow.com/stories/02290...vesnotes.shtml
    Excessively punitive IMO; we all know Jesuits can't hit a curve...

GoldGlove21 is offline Plus Member since 7/09 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlebowl View Post
    So you are saying we are taking the cheap option, with limited upside. Gee there is something new for this organization.

I'm not saying Betemit is a bad signing, it just doesn't make me warm and fuzzy inside.
    Betemit is not a sexy name like Fielder, but he is a smart signing IMO. On a one year deal he is a guy who could be moved at the deadline for a decent-good prospect. Every time the Orioles make one of these deals it will push a starter to the bench which essentially upgrades two spots at once.

Example:
    Chen signing solidifies Eveland as a reliever.
    Betemit signing moved Davis to the bench.

Chavez provides OF depth over a guy like Pie.
    Miller provides OF depth over a guy like Pie.
    Teagraden is an upgrad to the backup catcher position.
    Wada is an upgrade at to the SP/BP.
    Flaherty is a better option off of the bench than anyone we had outside of Andino.
    Antonelli is an upgrade to the bench.

A trade has to be coming because we now have Miller, Flaherty, Chavez, Teagarden and Davis on the bench. I doubt we go with a 5-man bench, but part of me hopes that we could if need be. My point is that the Orioles are getting stronger without splurging for a guy like Fielder. If they were to land Fielder than they would be in a nice position to move some of these guys for decent prospects or another arm.

Quote Originally Posted by dan-O View Post
    Wilson!

SrMeowMeow is offline Plus Member Since December 2008 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by dan-O View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    Wilson!

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    Wilson!
    Thanks in large part to his struggles with alcoholism and red-melty-face, Bizarro Wilson never achieved the notoriety of his Hollywood-based cousin.

I just realized the best part of this signing is that it rules out Damon. Huzzah! I'm officially on board.

Lucky Jim is offline Plus Member since 12/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOrange82 View Post
    Thanks in large part to his struggles with alcoholism and red-melty-face, Bizarro Wilson never achieved the notoriety of his Hollywood-based cousin.

I'd move both Wilsons for Fuzzy Dunlop.

Simon remembers Wilson.

SrMeowMeow is offline Plus Member Since December 2008 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Jim View Post
    I dunno, man. It just can't stand up to the modern urban crime environment.

lol...must spread rep.

Besides, why pick just one?