+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    wildcard is offline Plus Member since 11/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

HHP: Isn't this the team that many asked for?

Prior to 2007 many fans said what the O's needed to do was to put together a young team and let it grow together. Guess what? Its here. The average age of the 26 players most likely to make the team this year is 27.7 years old.

There are complaints that the O's haven't added any talent but over the last year the O's have added two #1 draft choices from outside the organization. Hunter who is fighting for the rotation spot and Antonielli who will compete for the 2B or 3B job.

They never add international talent is one of the complaints. Now the O's have Chen and Wada competing for rotation spots.

Fans say where is the leadoff hitter? But many say Markakis can do that job.

Others look for a clean up hitter. Isn't that what Wieters was signed to be and didn't he hit 22 HRs last year. Now the O's have acquired a backup catcher that Buck has faith in so Wieters can get more at bats by DHing some. Maybe Wieters is due for another jump in offensive production at 25/26 years old.

Trying to get out of last place isn't easy in the AL East but there is talent on this team and maybe now with many of the young players having some major league experience is the time that the O's become a winning team.

This team is as close to contention as the 2008 Rays were. If this rotation clicks like theirs did, we'll take off. If it flops, so does the rest of the team. It would have been nice to sign Fielder, but we were in an awkward position as we didn't know yet whether or not it would be smart to justify the signing. If our rotation gets it together this year, I'd expect us to become very active in acquiring the final bat to our lineup. I think we have a lot of pieces already. They just need to perform the way we hoped.

Dipper9 is offline Plus Member Since 03/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcard View Post
    Prior to 2007 many fans said what the O's needed to do was to put together a young team and let it grow together. Guess what? Its here. The average age of the 26 players most likely to make the team this year is 27.7 years old.

There are complaints that the O's haven't added any talent but over the last year the O's have added two #1 draft choices from outside the organization. Hunter who is fighting for the rotation spot and Antonielli who will compete for the 2B or 3B job.

They never add international talent is one of the complaints. Now the O's have Chen and Wada competing for rotation spots.

Others look for a clean up hitter. Isn't that what Wieters was signed to be and didn't he hit 22 HRs last year. Now the O's have acquired a backup catcher that Buck has faith in so Wieters can get more at bats by DHing some. Maybe Wieters is due for another jump in offensive production at 25/26 years old.

Trying to get out of last place isn't easy in the AL East but there is talent on this team and maybe now with many of the young players having some major league experience is the time that the O's become a winning team.
    I agree with everything you say here. I think the reason we are so negative towards the team is the step backwards we took last year after a VERY promising end to the 2010 season. Looking at this team in a vacuum, without last year's results, I would be thrilled with the 2012 Orioles compared to the 2007 Orioles. But after living through last year, and knowing the rosters of the other FOUR teams in our division, its very hard to be optimistic.

Now, all that said, IF, and that's a big capital IF, but IF our young pitching finally starts to put it together, all at the same time, this team could surprise a whole lot of people.

The only ones happy with this team will be the status quo crowd. A few little insignificant moves here and there and no big contract that would cripple this franchise for years to come.

A wish for some hope and change, some talk about it back and forth, and really nothing has changed much so basically its the same ole same ole with no chance for hope or change and we get the status quo.

But in the end, PA keeps his cash. and the franchise isnt crippled for the future, and the status quo guys can continue to post long drawn out rhetoric about how the O's need to do things to some day get competitive while PA is on board and his pockets are full.

And yes, this is the status quo like last year, and the year before, and the year before that, etc.

Dipper9 is offline Plus Member Since 03/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieMurrayfan View Post
    The only ones happy with this team will be the status quo crowd. A few little insignificant moves here and there and no big contract that would cripple this franchise for years to come.

A wish for some hope and change, some talk about it back and forth, and really nothing has changed much so basically its the same ole same ole with no chance for hope or change and we get the status quo.

But in the end, PA keeps his cash. and the franchise isnt crippled for the future, and the status quo guys can continue to post long drawn out rhetoric about how the O's need to do things to some day get competitive while PA is on board and his pockets are full.

And yes, this is the status quo like last year, and the year before, and the year before that, etc.
    So then, to answer the OP, you'd rather have the Kevin Millar's and Vlad's of the world rather than rolling the dice with a young team?

Quote Originally Posted by Dipper9 View Post
    So then, to answer the OP, you'd rather have the Kevin Millar's and Vlad's of the world rather than rolling the dice with a young team?
    You got that from my post?

Interesting because I didnt say that.

BrunoCherrytown is offline Plus Member Since July 2010 Major League Starter Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Ellicott City, MD and Delray Beach, Florida
    I'm happy we have a pulse on the international market now. But we haven't made a "Sano-like" signing yet. Meaning risking big money on an elite prospect. $4million for Chen and whatever Wada got is a big difference than Darvish or whatever Cespedes or Soler end up getting from a serious team.

If we got Chen for $4million it means there wasn't a lot of demand for him. We didn't find a diamond in the rough there.

We don't have a big power threat in the lineup. We don't have an absolute TOR starter. For the most part, the young O's pitchers, while "young" aren't YOUNG anymore - except for Britton. I'd like to hope one of them becomes an ace.

I think this offseason was completely dull and uninspiring. Which really is the most I could expect for given how we ended up getting the GM we ended up getting. He wasn't a diamond in the rough either. He, like our head coach, was somewhat in exile before we signed him.

We aren't building towards the future with our additions. We are "going for it" with this team, but we aren't really. So in my eyes it seems more status quo than big change.

So this wasn't what I asked for. I know others disagree and think we will be better than I expect us to be. I really hope those folks are right and I'm colossally wrong.

DrungoHazewood is offline Hangout Contributor Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Sure, in very vague, ambiguous terms this is a team with some of the traits we've advocated in the past. What you've failed to mention, though, is the most important trait: quality. The 2011 Orioles had an average offense, a pitiful group of pitchers, and won 69 games. There is precious little reason to believe this team will even finish at .500 this year, much less compete for a playoff spot.

If MacPhail had fired all the scouts and turned over much of the front office and coaching staff and moved ahead internationally, while trading Tejada and Bedard maybe they'd be where they need to be. But he didn't, so we're still at least several years away barring a miracle.

UMDTerrapins is offline Plus Member Since 12/07 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Good thread! While it's one of the unsexiest offseasons in recent years, I think it has been one of the most logical. DD has not made our traditional free agent mistakes where we sign $4-8 million each for players well past their prime who do nothing for the long term. Giving guys like Reimold, Davis, and Antonelli a chance to create value by giving them a chance to earn full time jobs are the kind of chances an organization like our needs. These are guys who could emerge as valuable ML regulars. If they do, it adds to our marketable assets to work with and they would be under our control for years. They may not, but it has potential long term upside. Guerrero, Lee and company do very little in that regard (other than what we might get by trading them at the deadline).

We've created a deep pool of potential starters and with that, competition. We've quickly expanded our international scouting and seen immediate results. And we've shaken up the scouting and development, which was long overdue.

So I'm pretty pleased with the job DD has done, and this is more along the lines of what I was hoping for when the offseason began. My biggest gripes are that we haven't traded Guthrie and either traded or extended Jones. But I really like that we're giving jobs and opportunities to guys who could make that leap from potential to value. It's disturbing that in the all of these years of losing, we haven't turned more fringe players into regulars by taking some chances. Instead, we've just plugged holes with players who do nothing for the long term.

I'm still bothered that we haven't heard anything from Angelos in regards to what we can expect in terms of commitment to the future when it comes to payroll. But not even remotely surprised. I'm glad that we're not throwing away money this offseason, but it would be nice to have some guidance as to how committed they are to supplementing when the team has proven it has become relevant (let's start with .500). I don't believe there is any meaningful commitment until I see it.

I wanted a competitive team that could get to the playoffs, so no this isn't the team I wanted.

Winning is the only thing that matters, and it's been 14 years. Iit doesn't matter how you win, just that you win.

It's time somebody in the front office realizes that.

I'm with you. We all want a playoff team, and we have to realize in our situation that it will take some time to get the wheels in motion. DD is getting the right pieces so let's be a little optimistic (come on just a little) in our future.

DrungoHazewood is offline Hangout Contributor Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by JTrea81 View Post
    I wanted a competitive team that could get to the playoffs, so no this isn't the team I wanted.

Winning is the only thing that matters, and it's been 14 years. Iit doesn't matter how you win, just that you win.

It's time somebody in the front office realizes that.
    It's about time somebody realizes that there are plausible ways for a bad team with few resources to win, and "divine intervention" is the only one I know of that's quick and easy.

connja is offline Plus Member Since Mar 2008 Major Leagues Reputation Reputation
    Buster olay just chimed in with a tweet:
    "year after year, it's the orioles left to pick at the carcas of the offseason, after every other team is finished feeding. Amazing. "

Owen21 is offline Plus Member Since 02/09 Major Leagues Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Great scouting can pick the bones clean, however it's constant frustration for fans because the results are not immediately exciting.

I hope Roberts can overcome, and compete at a level that helps the ballclub without a high probability of serious injury.

wildcard is offline Plus Member since 11/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by DrungoHazewood View Post
    Sure, in very vague, ambiguous terms this is a team with some of the traits we've advocated in the past. What you've failed to mention, though, is the most important trait: quality. The 2011 Orioles had an average offense, a pitiful group of pitchers, and won 69 games. There is precious little reason to believe this team will even finish at .500 this year, much less compete for a playoff spot.

If MacPhail had fired all the scouts and turned over much of the front office and coaching staff and moved ahead internationally, while trading Tejada and Bedard maybe they'd be where they need to be. But he didn't, so we're still at least several years away barring a miracle.
    Quality? Wieters, Markakis and Jones have raked up GGs and a couple of All-Star appearances. Hardy and Reynolds hit 30 HRs. All are under 30 years old. What hasn't happen is the pitching as not come around yet. I hope that is coming this year.