+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    atomic is offline Plus Member since 03/12 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Wieters is the teams lone all-star representative. Reynolds is pull of third base before the all-star break. We have two pitchers lose 15 games.

Quote Originally Posted by atomic View Post
    Wieters is the teams lone all-star representative. Reynolds is pull of third base before the all-star break. We have two pitchers lose 15 games.
    This is not bold; any sports writer could say this; it's our history-go out on a limb.

My bold statement is Orioles make the playoffs with the best record in the American League

Quote Originally Posted by Bahama O's Fan View Post
    This is not bold; any sports writer could say this; it's our history-go out on a limb.
    Actually, we haven't had two pitchers lose 15+ games in a season since 1988. So that one is rather bold.

And I guess it would mean that we have two pitchers capable of pitching at least that many games. Which I suppose is a promising sign.

Hardy plays 150+ games

El Gordo is offline Plus member since 6/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Basketeer View Post
    Actually, we haven't had two pitchers lose 15+ games in a season since 1988. So that one is rather bold.

And I guess it would mean that we have two pitchers capable of pitching at least that many games. Which I suppose is a promising sign.
    Because of the depth of pitching, no SP will stay in the rotation long enough to lose 15 games. That's the idea.

Flosman is offline Plus Member since 2004 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    Because of the depth of pitching, no SP will stay in the rotation long enough to lose 15 games. That's the idea.
    Also, historically our pitchers have been so bad you can't justify having someone stick around very long. Guts for an example is the type of pitcher that you see rack up losses and keep getting starts. Doesn't look hopeless out there but not good enough to prevent losses on a bad team. Sadly we have not even had 2 guys at that level stay healthy for entire seasons in recent history.

Moose Milligan is offline Plus Member Since 06/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Jones hits 30+ homers and actually has an on base percentage of over .330

MrOrange82 is offline Plus Member since 8/10 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose Milligan View Post
    Jones hits 30+ homers and actually has an on base percentage of over .330
    There's bold, and then there's "I just married the gender-questionable spawn of a spacefaring, would-be conquering alien race."

I'd bank on traveling at warp speed before I'd bet on Jones laying off the low-and-away slider.

Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    ...Yes, I'm aware of that...but what I'm saying is that having two pitchers lose 15+ games isn't necessarily indicative of terrible pitching. Guthrie lost what, 17 games this season? And I don't think many would claim he had a terrible season. Rather average actually.
    Last edited by Basketeer; 02-20-2012 at 11:02 AM.

canonfaz is offline Plus Member Since December 2010 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Roberts retires during Spring Training.

Chris Davis hits 30+ bombs.

33rdst is offline Plus Member since 11/03 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Brob plays 120 games.

Brian Matusz will win the Cy Young Award.

canonfaz is offline Plus Member Since December 2010 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by BarclaySouthway View Post
    Brian Matusz will win the Cy Young Award.
    Man. That would be awesome!

El Gordo is offline Plus member since 6/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Basketeer View Post
    ...Yes, I'm aware of that...but what I'm saying is that having two pitchers lose 15+ games isn't necessarily indicative of terrible pitching. Guthrie lost what, 17 games this season? And I don't think many would claim he had a terrible season. Rather average actually.
    I think those 17 L's tell us something about Guthrie. Sure he got poor run support, but that's not the whole story IMO. He didn't hold leads well, gave up too many HR, and left the game in the hands of the bullpen with RSP, far too frequently, in spite of going deep in to games and eating innings.