+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spartacus

Spartacus

I don't know who watches this but this past week's episode was epic. I don't know how much money they spent on the effects of the burning Colosseum ,but that was pretty bad ass.

Awesome show that should keep me satisfied until Game of Thrones starts up!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-OH View Post
    I don't know who watches this but this past week's episode was epic. I don't know how much money they spent on the effects of the burning Colosseum ,but that was pretty bad ass.

Awesome show that should keep me satisfied until Game of Thrones starts up!
    Yeah I felt like last episode made the first couple worth the wait.

I don't have Starz, so I have not seen any of Vengeance. I guess I'll have to wait until it comes out on Blu Ray. However I loved Blood and Sand and Gods of the Arena. By the way, does anyone else think Grannicus looks like Shawn Michaels from WWE and Crixus looks like Ronnie from Jersey Shore?

Wow, this season just keep getting better and next week's preview has me on the edge of my seat. I love all the intrigued between Glaber, Lucretia, Ashur and Lithiya and of course Spartacus has his own intrigued by trying to keep the peace between Crixus and Agron.

By the way, the new mob show based in Miami that will coming on soon is making Starz look like channel people need to get along with HBO when it comes to must see TV shows.

Bosibus is offline Plus Member Since 11/07 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I am really liking this season. One of my favorite shows on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosibus View Post
    I am really liking this season. One of my favorite shows on TV.
    Agreed. I'm just trying to figure out how they will continue the show after this season if they follow history. Although Spartacus' body was never found, his "army" was put down at the foot of Mount Vesuvius by the Roman Legions. The finale seems to indicate this moment is going to happen.

Bosibus is offline Plus Member Since 11/07 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Agreed. I'm just trying to figure out how they will continue the show after this season if they follow history. Although Spartacus' body was never found, his "army" was put down at the foot of Mount Vesuvius by the Roman Legions. The finale seems to indicate this moment is going to happen.
    Yeah I have been reading about the "war" on Wiki as this has been going and it says at one time, Spartacus's army consisted of 70,000 people. I am not sure where they are going with it but even if they do not follow the historical details of what happened, I am sure they will show blood, boobs and fighting so I am in.

Don't worry, it happens, but not for a while if they stay true to history. Glaber gets beat because he underestimates him, then Rome senses it's more urgent and sends in the "big boys". Caesar will make an appearance but then bug off for something else, and the big bad guy that ultimately beats Sparty will show up next season. It carries on for a while before it ends though, could milk 2 more seasons out easy.

(took a couple classes on this stuff in college).

Quote Originally Posted by allstar1579 View Post
    Don't worry, it happens, but not for a while if they stay true to history. Glaber gets beat because he underestimates him, then Rome senses it's more urgent and sends in the "big boys". Caesar will make an appearance but then bug off for something else, and the big bad guy that ultimately beats Sparty will show up next season. It carries on for a while before it ends though, could milk 2 more seasons out easy.

(took a couple classes on this stuff in college).
    Cool, thanks for the heads up. Onomaeus dies at Mount Vesuvius though, right. I've only done the lazy mans research by going through wikipedia, but is true they never found Spartacus' body?

Cool, thanks for the heads up. Onomaeus dies at Mount Vesuvius though, right. I've only done the lazy mans research by going through wikipedia, but is true they never found Spartacus' body?
    Yeah Onomaeus dies in the first big fight with the main Roman Consul (there are 2 of them) and the real legion. Not much is known about Gannicus, he's mentioned here and there, but kinda disappears from texts. Crixus splits from Spartacus at some point and has like 40k troops with him, so I'm guessing they split the army in half, when one of the two Roman Consul guys catches him and routs them. That happens before Spartacus loses. I think they leave Mt. Vesuvius and come back at some point later, I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure I remember them heading south, and then for some unknown reason they turn around and head back.

The word in texts is that they never find his body, so people have debated for years if Spartacus left and marched for home, and someone else took over trying to beat the Consul that had them pinned down and lost, or if he fell in some random battle and no one found the body. I know they searched for it for a long time though, because the Consul guy that finally beats him crucifies the rest of the army and lines the road from Capua to Rome with their bodies, one of the most horrific sites in history, but it gets glossed over a lot for some reason.
    Last edited by allstar1579; 03-28-2012 at 05:00 PM.

I watched the finale last night and have to say that was one great season of television. I knew Lucretia was acting weird, but her ending surprised me a bit. I don't know what the blood budget is but last night's episode me have set a record!

sangar is offline Plus Member Since 7/08 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by allstar1579 View Post
    Yeah Onomaeus dies in the first big fight with the main Roman Consul (there are 2 of them) and the real legion. Not much is known about Gannicus, he's mentioned here and there, but kinda disappears from texts. Crixus splits from Spartacus at some point and has like 40k troops with him, so I'm guessing they split the army in half, when one of the two Roman Consul guys catches him and routs them. That happens before Spartacus loses. I think they leave Mt. Vesuvius and come back at some point later, I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure I remember them heading south, and then for some unknown reason they turn around and head back.

The word in texts is that they never find his body, so people have debated for years if Spartacus left and marched for home, and someone else took over trying to beat the Consul that had them pinned down and lost, or if he fell in some random battle and no one found the body. I know they searched for it for a long time though, because the Consul guy that finally beats him crucifies the rest of the army and lines the road from Capua to Rome with their bodies, one of the most horrific sites in history, but it gets glossed over a lot for some reason.
    It's doubtful that Spartacus would have left for home as, at one point, his army had fought their way through northern Rome and had entered southern Gaul. At that point they could have disbanded and "went home." Many of them did, but a sizable majority, with Spartacus at the helm decided to return to Rome. History has no clue why they returned. They fought their way back through Rome, paid pirates to transport them to Sicily, were cheated out of their money, cornered by Crassus, defeated and crucified. At the one point they were out of Rome but decided to return so it's doubtful if Spartacus would have flaked out when his army was cornered.

Quote Originally Posted by sangar View Post
    It's doubtful that Spartacus would have left for home as, at one point, his army had fought their way through northern Rome and had entered southern Gaul. At that point they could have disbanded and "went home." Many of them did, but a sizable majority, with Spartacus at the helm decided to return to Rome. History has no clue why they returned. They fought their way back through Rome, paid pirates to transport them to Sicily, were cheated out of their money, cornered by Crassus, defeated and crucified. At the one point they were out of Rome but decided to return so it's doubtful if Spartacus would have flaked out when his army was cornered.
    Right, that's why there is the historical debate if it was in fact Spartacus at the helm when they decided to turn around and head back on Rome. Had a professor in college that had done a ton of research over in Italy studying this event, he spent a good month just on the slave revolution. His theory was that when they got away and split that Spartacus left, someone else took the lead and marched on Rome but history assumed that it was still Spartacus' army and he was still leading them, although he said he couldn't find any hard evidence that he was.