+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Avengers

Mashed Potatoes is offline Plus Member Since 04/06 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Each character's personality was well emphasized as was the dynamic between these personalities. Lots of good humor and action sequences.

Of course movies like this never really carry any emotional impact because death is so prominent while simultaneously meaningless. You never actually see the transition from life to death and you don't know the dying characters well enough to actually care that they're dead. I guess Nolan's raised the bar for me in terms of expecting the fun stuff as well as intelligent mystery and serious connection to the people.

Slaughtered the record for opening weekend, $200 million. Yowza. I'd say that's a success.. Can't wait to see it.

Flacco Machado is offline Plus Member since 9/11 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    All I have to say is....... ONE OF THE BEST MOVIES EVER!!!

Can't wait for the Sequel.(Again, watch the credits.)

sdmarkakis is offline Plus Member since 7/10 Major Leagues Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Happy to see Whedon having this kind of success after suffering through the losses of Firefly and Dollhouse. Hopefully he can harness it into making another Firefly movie

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I thought it was a good superhero action movie. Not really that original or unique, though. I'd give it three stars but that's all.

Dipper9 is offline Plus Member Since 03/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by clapdiddy View Post
    Good stuff....the last time I was in a movie and the crowd started cheering was Rocky IV!
    The last time for me was when Star Wars Episode I finally was released...when the 20th Century Fox Fanfare came on to begin the film, the Senator roared with applause. (If we only knew!)

As for Avengers...great movie! I'll wait a few days before discussing in detail so that we don't spoil it for anyone, but one thing I will say, I was surprised by no Spidey cameo. I thought he'd be one of the mini scenes at the end. Oh well, great movie.

Dipper9 is offline Plus Member Since 03/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Frobby View Post
    I thought it was a good superhero action movie. Not really that original or unique, though. I'd give it three stars but that's all.
    I made this same comment to my wife..."All these superhero movies are the same...half a movie of story and buildup, followed by the big payoff action sequence at the end where the good guys save the day." That said, its a formula that works, and the Avengers was one of the best at doing it. I loved the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipper9 View Post
    The last time for me was when Star Wars Episode I finally was released...when the 20th Century Fox Fanfare came on to begin the film, the Senator roared with applause. (If we only knew!)

As for Avengers...great movie! I'll wait a few days before discussing in detail so that we don't spoil it for anyone, but one thing I will say, I was surprised by no Spidey cameo. I thought he'd be one of the mini scenes at the end. Oh well, great movie.
    Because there are so many different versions of the avengers, and The Spidey reboot is about to launch, I'm KINDA expecting him to be in the sequel.

Orioles West is offline Plus Member Since 01/09 Major Leagues Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I thought it was a lot of fun. It was built as an action filled, popcorn flick with a little drama and a number of laughs and it hit the mark. Certainly a winner for the genre, I think I will have to see it again before the summer is over.

-Don

Mooreisbetter27 is offline Plus Member since October 2008 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by allstar1579 View Post
    Because there are so many different versions of the avengers, and The Spidey reboot is about to launch, I'm KINDA expecting him to be in the sequel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipper9 View Post

Sony owns the rights to movie Spider-man so he can't actually appear in a movie made by Marvel unless Sony allows it I believe. Would be the same deal with X-Men who are owned by Fox (movie rights). Any X-men that fall under that blanket can't be used in any Spider-man movies or Avengers stuff.

http://screenrant.com/marvel-comics-...ers-carl-6766/

Anyways. Great movie. Absolutely loved it. Want to see it again!

Spoonless is offline Plus Member since 2006 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I'd like to see a Spider-Man/Hulk team up movie, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooreisbetter27 View Post
    Sony owns the rights to movie Spider-man so he can't actually appear in a movie made by Marvel unless Sony allows it I believe. Would be the same deal with X-Men who are owned by Fox (movie rights). Any X-men that fall under that blanket can't be used in any Spider-man movies or Avengers stuff.

http://screenrant.com/marvel-comics-...ers-carl-6766/

Anyways. Great movie. Absolutely loved it. Want to see it again!
    Which is also why you always see forced superhero movies featuring these big name heroes. I believe if they go long enough without one then they can legally default back to Marvel, which is how I believe they regained control of The Hulk, thus making The Avengers finally possible. So you can expect a new spider man every 5 years or so, same as the X-Men just so they don't default back to Marvel. There are a few more characters like this in the Marvel Universe (Fantastic 4) that would be GREAT for cross over movies, just can't be done.

I'm curious to see who has what rights in the DC Universe to see if a Justice League movie is possible...

DuffMan is offline Plus Member Since 10/06 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I had only seen Iron Man and The Hulk. A week and a half ago FIOS had a free weekend of the Channel Epix and was showing Iron Man 2, Thor, and Captain America. I watched IronMan 2 last week and Thor last night, one more to go and then I can go see Avengers!

Quote Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
    I had only seen Iron Man and The Hulk. A week and a half ago FIOS had a free weekend of the Channel Epix and was showing Iron Man 2, Thor, and Captain America. I watched IronMan 2 last week and Thor last night, one more to go and then I can go see Avengers!
    Hurry up...it was AMAAAAAAZING.

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by allstar1579 View Post
    Hurry up...it was AMAAAAAAZING.
    I have a feeling it will still be in theaters when DuffMan finishes his prep -- no hurry.

I haven't seen Thor and now feel like I need to go back and see it to understand some of what was going on in The Avengers. I didn't see Iron Man II either, but I don't think that matters much.