+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    CrimsonTribe is offline Plus Member Since 08/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by allstar1579 View Post
    I was starting to suspect something like that, BUT it's not like he wasn't productive last year when healthy, and it's less than $3m to keep him, it'll be more expensive to replace him. Smarter to keep Garcon -1, Moss - 2, Morgan - 3 and AA - 4.

I think it's a stupid move just because it won't save a dime, it'll cost to replace him, and his production at $2.65m is going to be hard to replace, he's a great slot receiver at this stage. The only question I had was if Morgan is a slot guy or not.
    I think Eddie Royal would become the slot guy if signed. He's only 26 (actually younger than Josh Morgan). Looks like we're really making a push to get younger (but still experienced) guys at WR.

Moose Milligan is offline Plus Member Since 06/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTribe View Post
    I think Eddie Royal would become the slot guy if signed. He's only 26 (actually younger than Josh Morgan). Looks like we're really making a push to get younger (but still experienced) guys at WR.
    Couple that with RG3 and Helu/Royster and I really like where this is headed.

We've targeted two guys in Garcon and Morgan who just needed right opportunities to shine. Garcon was behind Reggie Wayne a lot, yet was still really productive. He was productive last year without Peyton Manning. Morgan was killing it last year through the first 5 games before injuries.

Fresh starts for both of them and a change of scenery could make a huge difference. Wouldn't be surprised if either one ends up with over 1,000 yards.

backwardsk is offline Plus Member Since 3/08 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    If they sign Royal, I can't see Moss coming back. If hankerson is healthy ( he just had surgery and will miss some OTAs) then I don't see the need for gaffney. They really like him though so it's tough to say he'll be gone.

Losing Moss will make me sad, but it'll also be fun to watch Griffin grow with 5 young WR.

Royal has always been a deep striker, you can't just take a guy that's good at one spot and plug him into another, we've had that problem here (Lloyd, Moss for a while, etc)

The problem isn't Moss, it's AA (who I think was played out of position a bit as the deep guy, he's got better size than that), Austin (who looks like a great slot WR if given the time) and Hankerson. The NFL is littered with players that are not given a chance with one team and go to another to be a pro bowl player. I think the 3 of them are well worth the time to invest and develop, and I'm not impressed enough with Royal to pay him and take him over those guys.

CrimsonTribe is offline Plus Member Since 08/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by allstar1579 View Post
    Royal has always been a deep striker, you can't just take a guy that's good at one spot and plug him into another, we've had that problem here (Lloyd, Moss for a while, etc)

The problem isn't Moss, it's AA (who I think was played out of position a bit as the deep guy, he's got better size than that), Austin (who looks like a great slot WR if given the time) and Hankerson. The NFL is littered with players that are not given a chance with one team and go to another to be a pro bowl player. I think the 3 of them are well worth the time to invest and develop, and I'm not impressed enough with Royal to pay him and take him over those guys.
    I don't know too much about Royal, but I thought he was more of a slot guy. Anyway, that was just what I had been reading. I agree that we don't need to sign him and take a cap hit when we have a bunch of other WR already on the roster to develop. One thing I am enthused about though is that we're targeting younger guys in their prime years with experience and not just trying to make a huge splash on some washed up "name" veteran.

I don't know too much about Royal, but I thought he was more of a slot guy. Anyway, that was just what I had been reading. I agree that we don't need to sign him and take a cap hit when we have a bunch of other WR already on the roster to develop. One thing I am enthused about though is that we're targeting younger guys in their prime years with experience and not just trying to make a huge splash on some washed up "name" veteran.
    Was just watching highlights on NFL network, and Morgan looks like he was the slot guy in SF. Small sample size of course, but all 6-7 highlights had him in that spot.

Looks like Royal to the Chargers.

Adam Schefter ‏
    Former Broncos WR Eddie Royal undergoing a physical in San Diego, former Eagles/Giants WR Steve Smith undergoing physical in St. Louis.

backwardsk is offline Plus Member Since 3/08 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by mweb View Post
    Looks like Royal to the Chargers.
    Not the worst thing in the world, IMO.

Bill Barnwell at Grantland is not a fan:

And so the Redskins found it in their hearts to give Pierre Garcon a five-year, $42.5 million contract with $21.5 million in guaranteed money. This is the same Pierre Garcon who has caught just over 53 percent of the passes thrown to him over the past three seasons despite having Peyton Manning at quarterback for two of those three years. The other Colts wide receivers caught just under 64 percent of the passes thrown to them over that time frame. And while a low catch rate is fine if you're a deep threat or a demon after the catch, Garcon's averaged 13.6 yards per catch over that span, which is almost exactly league average. Jabar Gaffney has averaged more yards per catch over the past three years than Pierre Garcon. Is he a downfield threat?
    There's much more than that in the article.

However, he did like the Morgan signing:

On the other hand, the Redskins made a perfectly rational, reasonable decision to buy low on Josh Morgan, who broke his leg after five games and missed most of San Francisco's 2011 season. Morgan's statistics aren't all that impressive, and he's not regarded as a burner, but he's spent the past three years playing with Alex Smith in a conservative offense. It's also worth noting that he's averaged 13.0 yards per catch over those three seasons, virtually identical to Garcon's figure. The Redskins only paid $7.5 million in guaranteed money for Morgan on a five-year, $12 million contract that will void after two years (for cap purposes, the Skins will spread the signing bonus hit over five years, but it's essentially a two-year deal). Washington may find that Morgan's actually the better player of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by mweb View Post
    Bill Barnwell at Grantland is not a fan:

There's much more than that in the article.

However, he did like the Morgan signing:
    Let him not be a fan. Whatever. He was one of the top FA WR available, and from the games I watched of his last season still looked good on the deep balls. Painter couldn't throw the ball deep enough to get to him quite a few times. Love the fact he's going to be 30 when the contract is up and not 30 in the middle of the first season (Jackson).

Interesting stat on Gar?on:

Breaking down the WR deals

Pierre Garcon, Washington Redskins

Garcon is coming off of what may be his best season as a pro, as he set career highs in receptions (70) and receiving yards (947). He also posted a solid 8.2 yards per attempt (YPA) total despite having to play with the Colts' revolving door of mediocre backup quarterbacks.

That sounds like quite an achievement at first glance, but it really doesn't accurately explain just how lucky Garcon was last year. He benefited from three very fortunate plays (detailed here) that ended up accounting for 213 yards and three touchdowns. Take those plays out of Garcon's numbers and his YPA drops to a mediocre 6.9 rate.
    And the three "very fortunate plays"...

A look at value options to add, players who can't sustain levels and a trade target

On Garcon's 87-yard touchdown pass in the Monday night game against Tampa Bay, he was the recipient of a very bad tackling angle by Aqib Talib. The play could have been held to about a 20-yard gain if not for that error.

Later in that same contest, Garcon posted a 59-yard touchdown on a screen pass in which he benefited from two blatant blocks in the back. Had either of those penalties been called, Garcon wouldn't have reached the end zone.

In the game against the Chiefs, Garcon racked up a 67-yard touchdown because Kansas City cornerback Brandon Flowers inexplicably left him uncovered.

Take those plays out of Painter's and Garcon's figures and their fantasy totals come crashing back down to earth. Since these types of plays can't be counted on to occur with regularity, it means the odds that these two will return to their high-scoring form seems rather low.

Quote Originally Posted by thundercleetz View Post
    Interesting stat on Gar?on:

And the three "very fortunate plays"...
    That ignores 3 other LONG TDs he had last year called back for penalties too. (I had him on my fantasy team)

OFFNY is offline Plus Member since 3/11 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I loved Garcon when he played for the Colts, although his erratic play would sometimes drive me up a wall.

In my rat's ass of an opinion, he has become more consistently good since the Redskins acquired him as a free agent before the start of the 2012 season. He makes A LOT of amazing catches. Today, he had 6 catches for 155 yards, and a few of those catches were really tough. On one play, he he was interfered with and caught the ball anyway. In overtime, he caught a pass on 1st down and 20 yards to go (due to a Redskins holding penalty on the previous play) in between 2 defenders. Extremely clutch, because the Redskins had been backed up to the Chargers' 43-yardline from that holding penalty.

This may have been the best catch of his career, although he has had so many of them, you could probably point to a few others, also:

O

O
    Here is one from just last week against the Broncos:

O