Thread: Ask The Orioles

Why do the Orioles consider the Red Sox and Yankees to be "prime" opponents?

- Is it because they usually have a good record?
    Why aren't the Rays a "prime" team?

- Is it because they have a lot of fans?
    The Minnesota Twins rank 3rd in the AL for largest fan base behind the Red Sox and Yankees. Why aren't they a "prime" team?

- Is it because they are division rivals?
    Why aren't the Blue Jays and Rays considered "prime" teams?

prime [prahym] adjective, noun, verb
    1. of the first importance; demanding the fullest consideration: a prime requisite.
    2. of the greatest relevance or significance: a prime example.
    3. of the highest eminence or rank: the prime authority on Chaucer.
    4. of the greatest commercial value: prime building lots.
    5. first-rate: This ale is prime!

Referring to certain opponents as "prime" is a symptom of a losing culture. Orioles fans don't think the Yankees and Red Sox are "prime" teams. It caters to the Red Sox and Yankees and it's condescending to the Orioles and the rest of teams we play. Any game that the Orioles play in should be considered a "prime" game. If only some of the games are "prime", then it makes you look like you don't think the Orioles are "prime".

Get rid of "prime" games, or at least stop calling them "prime games". Call them "rivalry games" or "top seller games". Pick a term that doesn't inadvertently insult the Orioles.

Dipper9 is offline Plus Member Since 03/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyBirdland View Post

The Minnesota Twins rank 3rd in the AL for largest fan base behind the Red Sox and Yankees. Why aren't they a "prime" team?

1. of the first importance; demanding the fullest consideration: a prime requisite.

Referring to certain opponents as "prime" is a symptom of a losing culture. Orioles fans don't think the Yankees and Red Sox are "prime" teams. It caters to the Red Sox and Yankees and it's condescending to the Orioles and the rest of teams we play. Any game that the Orioles play in should be considered a "prime" game. If only some of the games are "prime", then it makes you look like you don't think the Orioles are "prime".

Get rid of "prime" games, or at least stop calling them "prime games". Call them "rivalry games" or "top seller games". Pick a term that doesn't inadvertently insult the Orioles.
    How about "The ticket to this game cost more than the same ticket to yesterday's game" games.

glenn__davis is offline Plus Member Since 3/04 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    Absolutely. And very well, I might add. I think this thread has been well handled.
    I agree with this.

I hated and still do hate the answer to the gameday surcharge questions, and I still hate that fee. But other than that I think they've answered questiosn well, even if I've disagreed with their responses.

I would also like piggyback on the question about a family-friendly section.

Mr Snuffleupagus is offline Plus Member Since 12/11 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyBirdland View Post

Great Post. I brought this up early in the thread but didn't get a response.

It's the equivalent of a store charging 25% more for anything you buy on a Friday, or Saturday just because that's when most people shop.

square634 is offline Plus Member since 9/06 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Snuffleupagus View Post
    Great Post. I brought this up early in the thread but didn't get a response.

It's the equivalent of a store charging 25% more for anything you buy on a Friday, or Saturday just because that's when most people shop.
    Or like charging more money for airline flights around Thanksgiving because that's when most people want to travel. Oh wait, that's a good idea, and airlines do it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipper9 View Post
    How about "The ticket to this game cost more than the same ticket to yesterday's game" games.
    What they'll say is those "prime" games are full price, all the rest are discounted.

Mr Snuffleupagus is offline Plus Member Since 12/11 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by square634 View Post
    Or like charging more money for airline flights around Thanksgiving because that's when most people want to travel. Oh wait, that's a good idea, and airlines do it all the time.
    Ah, yes, but I have no "real" reason to go to a NY or BOS game. I can go to any game I want and I can actually see us play better competition by going to a Rangers or Rays game. If Boston finishes in 4th or 5th this season, are they still prime?

We get it, they're taking advantage of the fact that the tix in NY and BOS are so expensive that people will actually come down to see them in Camden Yards before seeing them in their own park. That's smart business... if you like ticking off your fanbase. NY and BOS games are not exactly enjoyable games to be apart of. Exactly who are they "prime" for?

Todd-O is offline Plus Member since 02/12 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by TonySoprano View Post
    Every time this comes up, I have to remind people about what Angelos said in 2005

The question is has the Orioles position "evolved" since then?
    Above pertaining to opposing fans -namely sox and yanks - in the yard.

The poster points out that the Nats tried their take back the yard. I was there in the Saturday game between Phils and Nats. The stadium was not sold out and there we hoards of Philly fans.

The O's last year advertised their paint the yard orange and black campaign. I'm not sure what else people want.

O's fans... Just buy tickets and show-up. It's that simple. The O's side of the equation is fielding a quality time.

What else do you want the O's to do?

From The Orioles

Student Night Tickets
    Some of you had a question about our recent Student Night tickets selling out. Student Night tickets are officially only for the Left Field Upper Reserve location, of which there are several thousand seats each game. Beyond that requirement, however, we still sell several thousand more regular Upper Reserve tickets to students at the reduced $6 rate. Eventually, though, there comes a point when all tickets that could possibly be used for student tickets are sold.

As you can see on our promotions schedule (http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/sch...s.jsp?c_id=bal), we clearly indicate that this is for LF Upper Reserve seats and is subject to availability. Just click on any of the AT&T Student Nights on any Friday and the following pops up:

AT&T Student Night Every Friday, students of any age with a valid school I.D. can purchase LF Upper Reserve seats for just $6 at the Oriole Park Box Office. (Subject to availability.)

Once we run out of the original allotment of LF Upper Reserve tickets (which includes the entire seating category, not just a portion of those sections) and our secondary locations in the corners of the regular Upper Reserve, we offer the next least expensive ticket to students. This past Friday that was an $18 ticket. While you may see empty seats in the LF Upper Reserve area, every seat is sold and it is simply students who have elected to watch the game from an SRO location such as the Roof Deck or Flag Court, or socialize on Eutaw Street or in the concourses.

Several seasons ago we tried selling $6 tickets to students into other areas of the ballpark where non-students were sitting, and this only caused problems and friction. We found selling $6 tickets to students in areas where tickets were $25 or more in value upset far more fans than the new policy, which is implemented only after the many thousands of student tickets are depleted.

Whenever we are running low on student tickets heading into a game, we are sure to encourage students to purchase in advance (which can be done at the box office) or to arrive early on gameday. As was the case, students who arrived prior to 7:45 (40 minutes into the game) received a $6 ticket, while those who arrived later found them sold out. As is the case with any promotion, the tickets are available while supplies last.

Looking ahead to the Student Night on June 8 vs. the Phillies, any student interested in purchasing tickets is advised to do so as soon as possible at the box office (or if you have a group of 12 or more by calling 888-848-BIRD) as student tickets will definitely sell out.

Vendors & Possible Family Section
    We will pass along your comments about a lack of variety of vendors at the game you attended recently to Delaware North Sportservice. We watched throughout the lower level during Tuesday's game and saw not only beer vendors, but plenty of bottled soda/water, hot dogs, cotton candy, lemon ice, and peanuts being vended.

We have considered a family section at the ballpark but have found little demand for it when we studied the possibility. For the most part, the behavior of our fans is extremely family-friendly, so we haven't felt the need for such a section. An alcohol-free section, which could be considered a family section, is a possibility and is something we will continue to explore. While not completely alcohol-free, the Left Field Club Picnic Perch is an option for many families, as there are unlimited select concessions items (hotdogs, salad, nachos, peanuts, popcorn, ice cream and soda) available behind the seats until the 7th inning. Alcohol is available for purchase separately, though there are no vendors in the area.
    Last edited by Official Orioles; 05-16-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Official Orioles View Post
    Vendors & Possible Family Section
    We will pass along your comments about a lack of variety of vendors at the game you attended recently to Delaware North Sportservice. We watched throughout the lower level during Tuesday's game and saw not only beer vendors, but plenty of bottled soda/water, hot dogs, cotton candy, lemon ice, and peanuts being vended.
    Saturday night, section 66 lower deck, there were only the beer vendors that I mentioned previously. They were also selling peanuts with the beer, but no one was buying the former. No food sales in nearby sections either, and yes, I looked around. This has been this way for years, regardless of vendor, nearly non-stop beer vendors, maybe one hot dog vendor for an entire game. I have come to expect that; it's a running joke. However, the lack of vendors selling non-alcoholic beverages was a new twist this year. If you do have other types of vendors, it appears they are greatly outnumbered, few and far between, and coverage only in certain sections.

DuffMan is offline Plus Member Since 10/06 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Saturday night, section 66 lower deck, there were only the beer vendors that I mentioned previously. They were also selling peanuts with the beer, but no one was buying the former. No food sales in nearby sections either, and yes, I looked around. This has been this way for years, regardless of vendor, nearly non-stop beer vendors, maybe one hot dog vendor for an entire game. I have come to expect that; it's a running joke. However, the lack of vendors selling non-alcoholic beverages was a new twist this year. If you do have other types of vendors, it appears they are greatly outnumbered, few and far between, and coverage only in certain sections.
    I have a 13 game plan in section 82 and I've been to 3 games already this year and can also confirm that it's pretty much only beer vendors that walk by.

Dipper9 is offline Plus Member Since 03/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Yeah, but you gotta admit, Danny is a damn funny dude. "Take a sip and pass it down." Love It!

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    And if you are only going to have beer vendors walk around the stadium would it kill you to have one or two of them sell craft beer?

Quote Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
    And if you are only going to have beer vendors walk around the stadium would it kill you to have one or two of them sell craft beer?
    Yeah, and what's with this canned crap? Can't we strap a keg to their back and get some micro brew drafts?

Quote Originally Posted by Dipper9 View Post
    Yeah, and what's with this canned crap? Can't we strap a keg to their back and get some micro brew drafts?

Actually several microbrewery's now serve their beer in cans so there are good cans out there