3/21: Orioles vs. Blue Jays

Don Quixote

I will edit this later as Toronto's lineup is not yet out.

For the Orioles (6-8-4):

Endy Chavez RF

J.J. Hardy SS

Wilson Betemit 1B

Adam Jones CF

Matt Wieters C

Mark Reynolds 3B

Nolan Reimold LF

Chris Davis DH

Robert Andino 2B

Tommy Hunter RHP

This is Hunter's first Grapefruit League start this year. Armando Galarraga, Matt Lindstrom, Luis Ayala, Oscar Villarreal and Pat Neshek also are available to pitch.

For the Blue Jays (15-4-1):

Rajai Davis CF

Omar Vizquel SS

J.P. Arencibia C

Adam Lind 1B

Ben Francisco RF

Travis Snider LF

Yan Gomes 3B

David Cooper DH

Mike McCoy 2B

Kyle Drabek RHP

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gameday described it as a "soft ground ball to righ field." Gotta wonder about the infield defense when Betemit is at 1B.

No doubt. Bentemit seems like a liability no matter where you try to hide him. Johnson's comeback has really made him redundant on this team.

Endy Chavez continues his hot hitting in the spring. Leadoff single.

Gotta give Chavez credit for making a good first impression. He's been nails this spring. I don't see it lasting, but at least he looks like he got something left in the tank and should be a good 4th outfielder.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• The scorer gave him the throwing error - it was an underhand feed to SS Errol Robinson trying to start a 4-6-3 double play.    I only saw it live but it didn't look like that bad of a feed to me. Both defenses were terrible.    Junior Caminero dropped a pop-up in Norfolk's big inning, and there was some other Benny Hill stuff. Holliday, Mayo and Kjerstad all gave some back in Durham's big inning, when three of the errors occurred. Kjerstad's fielding error was just plain dropping a routine 4-3 groundout.    Holliday's throw was a little low, maybe shin high. Mayo's throwing error a batter or two later - I think he may have been spooked some by the 1B having just dropped one from another infielder.    It was a couple hopper Mayo was playing deep against a stronger bat, and he had to go a step or two right and back to glove it.    A play to showcase his arm strength. The throw was bad - low and kind of into the baseline near where the oncoming runner was.     A play it was glaringly clear Kjerstad is a novice 1B.    A good 1B may not have been able to make it, but it didn't look like Kjerstad even knew how to try and make the play.     He just kind of watched it skip past. 1B Kjerstad and RF Norby notable defensive assignments for the Game 1 lineup.
    • Interestingly Mounty had more BBs in fewer PA than Baines in their respective first 4 seasons.  I’ve heard rumblings of guys on the team say that Ryan is the best pure hitter on the squad.  The guy can hit.  His xwOBACON is elite.  He can’t lay off some pitches, sure.  But he puts the ball in play at elite EV levels often.  If he takes the next step (big of) he will be  an Elite bat.  With that said, history has shown those types of profiles (bad pitch recognition) don’t improve much.   Baines 6% walk rate & 13% K rate.  Moutcastle 7% walk rate & 25% K rate.   
    • Ah, I hadn't seen that. He's out then. Worst time to get it, too. He's basically out for 2 years. I'll add Wandisson Charles to the Names to Watch category on the off chance he learns how to throw strikes. 1 IP 2 K 0 BB in his first outing of the year tonight.
    • For fun.  Not as much contact, but much more productive in fewer ABs through first 4 years.  Permanent Link   Permanent Link    
    • I thought he’d be on the team.  But then again, I thought for sure Holliday would make the team this year.  What do I know?  I just think that if the goal was to get an extra year, they’d have made damn sure they got an extra year.  Seems like an unforced error if they tired and missed.  
    • I don’t think you really think that was a throwaway line when it was towards the top of your defense of RMC. I do believe it keeps being brought up because we all have our ideas of what that phrase means and I think you’re the only dude here who feels that RMC falls into that category.    Which is fine. I mean, people think all sorts of weird stuff.  But you believe what you believe and that’s cool. Wave that freak flag high. 
    • It doesn’t and shouldn’t be an either/or proposition. We can and should do both to the best of our ability. And even then, we will need some luck along the way.
  • Popular Contributors