+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    NCRaven is offline Plus Member since 11/05 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    So Buck is giving Flaherty his first taste at first base. I'm more and more convinced that there is no way he doesn't make the team.

PaulFolk is offline Senior Moderator Hangout Staff Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by NCRaven View Post
    Ayala has been fairly decent so far this spring. Not sure how things shake out, but I'm not sorry that DD has brought in lots of decent, not great, but decent, options for both the rotation and bullpen.
    Yeah, but I'm not going to be thrilled if the O's lose an out-of-options guy like Strop or Patton because their roster spots are taken by Ayala, Eveland, Lindstrom, Gregg, etc.

socalbirdfan is offline Plus Member since 4/21/2012 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by dan-O View Post
    Solid outing. I think this is about what we can expect from Hunter. He'll get you innings and give up around 3 runs. Hard to argue with that.
    If he only gave up three runs each time he pitched I'd be ecstatic. I think he'll be in the 4 to 4.5 range though.

PaulFolk is offline Senior Moderator Hangout Staff Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Adam Jones goes deep fly! He leads off the 6th with a HR off Francisco Cordero. The O's take a 3-2 lead.

Wieters and Reynolds both continue to struggle with a pair of groundouts, but Reimold shows signs of life with a double.

Runner in scoring position, two out.

Chris Davis strikes out. Inning over, but the O's take the lead.

3-2 Birds heading to the 7th.

Matt Lindstrom now pitching the 7th. He racks up a strikeout and a fly to left for two quick outs.

And a McCoy flyout wraps up a 1-2-3 inning for Lindstrom.

Time to stretch. 3-2 O's.

MarylandAaron is offline Plus Member since 10/11 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation
    Good to see Lindstrom and Ayala with 1-2-3 innings.

NCRaven is offline Plus Member since 11/05 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulFolk View Post
    Yeah, but I'm not going to be thrilled if the O's lose an out-of-options guy like Strop or Patton because their roster spots are taken by Ayala, Eveland, Lindstrom, Gregg, etc.
    I like Strop, but I'm not sure that Patton is better than either Wada or Eveland, both of whom could replace him in the bullpen. Right now, I'm guessing Hunter, Hammel, Arrieta, Chen and Matusz for the rotation. So, unless they are hellbent on sending Matusz down, I don't see room for either of Wada or Eveland in the rotation and both have looked at least as good as Patton. I expect a couple of trades before the start of the season. Nothing major, but we'll move a few pitchers. Just hope Gregg is one of them.

Also, DD could not know beforehand how unproven players like Strop were going to perform beforehand. If he had known that Strop was going to follow up his solid close to 2011 with a good spring in 2012, he may not have made some of the moves that he did. But, how could he know until it got here. Likewise, we couldn't know whether Arrieta would be healthy and Matusz would make a comeback prior to the spring. So, he tried to take steps to address those risks. Still don't think we can have too much pitching. It'll work out.
    Last edited by NCRaven; 03-21-2012 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRaven View Post
    I like Strop, but I'm not sure that Patton is better than either Wada or Eveland, both of whom could replace him in the bullpen. Right now, I'm guessing Hunter, Hammel, Arrieta, Chen and Matusz for the rotation. So, unless they are hellbent on sending Matusz down, I don't see room for either of Wada or Eveland in the rotation and both have looked at least as good as Patton. I expect a couple of trades before the start of the season. Nothing major, but we'll move a few pitchers. Just hope Gregg is one of them.
    i would assume that we would make several. It all depends what others come shopping for. I think there are still a full section of scouts at every game of ours.

GameDay got stuck for a moment. When it came back, the Orioles' offense went down 1-2-3. I could've guessed that.

A lot more O's changes in the 8th. Ruettiger in CF. Paulino catching. Buck Britton at 3B. Antonelli at 2B. All the original defensive starters are out of the game except Reimold.

Troy Patton now pitching. He issues a leadoff walk to Gose, who steals second, but retires the next two batters on flyouts.

Now Gose steals third base (with two outs, which seems odd).

Sounds like Troy Patton needs to work on his time to the plate!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulFolk View Post
    Troy Patton now pitching. He issues a leadoff walk to Gose, who steals second, but retires the next two batters on flyouts.
    Also stole third. Maybe there's a reason that Buck wants some attention paid to the opponent's running game?