+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    wildcard is offline Plus Member since 11/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

HHP: Time to re-align the starting staff

Getting the Opening Day Starter lined up

The starter that pitches in the April 6th Opener will pitch 5 days before that on April 1st. To align to be ready for that Buck will probably have the Opening Day starter pitch this coming turn on Tuesday, March 27th (5 days before April 1st). Buck probably does not want to wait until the final turn to re-align because adjusting the pitchers routine may cause a few control problems. Chen is currently lineup up to pitch the 27th but I don't think Chen makes his first start in the majors on Opening Day. So watch for who pitches on March 27th if you want a big hint for who is the Opening Day Starter.

One reason why Tillman and Eveland may have pitched one inning.

Prue speculation on my part but the reason that Tillman and Eveland pitched one inning may be so they could fill in starts while the starters re-align. Arrieta pitches on Sat March 24th. But there are two days before the March 27th when the rotation starts again. I think Tillman and Eveland may pitch on March 25th and 26th. Pruely a guess on my part but it fits. Wada is not included in this because the O's probably do not want to disrupt him pitching every 5 days until they have to.

Here is where we part company

So who is the Opening Day starter and what is the pitching order. I know most will not agree with me but I think Matusz has out pitched all the starters and will get the Opening Day start. He will not be followed by a lefty so I say the order is Hammel, Chen, Hunter and the 5th starter is one of Arrieta, Wada or Eveland depend on how 1) Arrieta pitches tomorrow, and 2) followed by how Wada progresses.

So there it is. My best guess at what happens to the starting staff over the next two weeks. What say you?
    Last edited by wildcard; 03-23-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcard View Post
    Getting the Opening Day Starter lined up

The starter that pitches in the April 6th Opener will pitch 5 days before that on April 1st. To align to be ready for that Buck will probably have the Opening Day starter pitch this coming turn on Tuesday, March 27th (5 days before April 1st). Buck probably does not want to wait until the final turn to re-align because adjusting the pitchers routine may cause a few control problems. Chen is currently lineup up to pitch the 27th but I don't think Chen makes his first start in the majors on Opening Day. So watch for who pitches on March 27th if you want a big hint for who is the Opening Day Starter.

One reason why Tillman and Eveland may have pitched one inning.

Prue speculation on my part but the reason that Tillman and Eveland pitched one inning may be so they could fill in starts while the starters re-align. Arrieta pitches on Sat March 24th. But there are two days before the March 27th when the rotation starts again. I think Tillman and Eveland may pitch on March 25th and 26th. Pruely a guess on my part but it fits. Wada is not included in this because the O's probably do not want to disrupt him pitching every 5 days until they have to.

Here is where we part company

So who is the Opening Day starter and what is the pitching order. I know most will not agree with me but I think Matusz has out pitched all the starters and will get the Opening Day start. He will not be followed by a lefty so I say the order is Hammel, Chen, Hunter and the 5th starter is one of Arrieta, Wada or Eveland depend on how 1) Arrieta pitches tomorrow, and 2) followed by how Wada progresses.

So there it is. My best guess at what happens to the starting staff over the next two weeks. What say you?
    Tommy Hunter for Opening day. Other than that everything you got is sound.

waroriole is offline Plus Member Since 6/08 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I actually think it will be Chen just because there is nobody else who stands out as more deserving. He's pitched well this spring, and he's already lined up for it, as you pointed out.

If I were going to guess on an order I'd say:

Chen
    Hammel
    Matusz
    Arrieta
    Hunter

Although, we could see Matusz and Arrieta switch since the MFY have a few more tough LH.

At this point I think it is Arrieta on OD unless he has a poor outing tomorrow... then Chen.

Matusz still needs to build his confidence and thrusting him into the OD slot probably isn't the best move at this juncture.

RZNJ is offline Plus member Since 04/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Sep 2003
    If your math is right, not much juggling needed. Then can push each guy back a day and keep the current order and be just fine. I guess that would make it:

1. Hunter
    2. Chen
    3. Hammel
    4. Arrieta
    5. Matusz/Wada

connja is offline Plus Member Since Mar 2008 Major Leagues Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by ADZ23 View Post
    At this point I think it is Arrieta on OD unless he has a poor outing tomorrow... then Chen.

Matusz still needs to build his confidence and thrusting him into the OD slot probably isn't the best move at this juncture.
    OK, let me just say Hamel will pitch opening day so we now have all 5 different guesses.

Chen
    Hunter
    Matusz
    Hammel
    Arrieta

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

waroriole is offline Plus Member Since 6/08 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by connja View Post
    OK, let me just say Hamel will pitch opening day so we now have all 5 different guesses.
    I wouldn't be too surprised with any of those 5 starting.

Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    Tommy Hunter for Opening day. Other than that everything you got is sound.
    They've already been working the order for a week You just have to know how to read between the lines. They start setting it about the 15th, but because it's a little jumbled it's not as clear as most teams.

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I really, really don't care who starts on Opening Day. Just split up the lefties.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobby View Post
    I really, really don't care who starts on Opening Day. Just split up the lefties.
    Amen. I see BMat as the #4 just for that reason. LHP at 2 and 4? Hunter, Jake. A and Hammel/Tillman whoever is the 5th starter.

Mayor McCheese is offline Plus Member Since 12/12 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I would have thought Tillman would have earned a starting spot if this was any previous ST.

He most likely will be "the next man up"

My prediction:

Arrieta/Hunter
    Chen
    Hammel
    Arrieta/Hunter
    Matusz

RZNJ is offline Plus member Since 04/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by RZNJ View Post
    If your math is right, not much juggling needed. Then can push each guy back a day and keep the current order and be just fine. I guess that would make it:

1. Hunter
    2. Chen
    3. Hammel
    4. Arrieta
    5. Matusz/Wada

Actually, I think this is pushing everyone up a day. Pushing everyone back a day (an extra day rest between one of the next two turns through the rotation would put:

1. Hammel
    2. Arrieta
    3. Matusz
    4. Hunter
    5. Chen

oriole is offline Plus Member since 01/12 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    My vote is Arrieta. Buck had him start the home opener last year and stated it wasn't an accident that it worked out that way. Arrieta seems to be doing fine so far so I think its him. Both Hammel and Hunter look like back end guys to me.

El Gordo is offline Plus member since 6/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I really think it's up in the air right now and will depend one who looks best the next 2 times out. You could flip a coin today, but if Jake goes out and throws 6 shut out innings with 6K's he would be in the lead.