VCU, George Mason, Butler in discussions to join A10

PrivateO

Earlier this week, Duquesne fired their head coach, Ron Everhart. In a leaked email to the school's board, the Duquesne President's letter discusses what Duquesne wants for its basketball future.

We are confident that we can find a new coach who will build on what Ron has accomplished. We have a great tradition, a virtually new home facility, the proximity and close relationship with the Consol Center, an effective AD, a core fan base that is hungry for a better product, and a strong University commitment to the program. While not a regular contender for leadership in our conference, Duquesne is no longer the doormat. The A10 conference itself is on the verge of a major improvement with the addition of new high quality university programs. All of this amounts to an exciting professional opportunity for a new coach.

Notice the plurality of "new high quality university programs." Lo and behold, three days later, Brett McMurphy of CBS has an article that shows Butler, George Mason, and VCU inquiring about joining the Atlantic 10. Temple will already be leaving for the Big East in 2013 and rumors are that Charlotte may be making a move to the Sun Belt for their football aspirations. And then there's always the possibility that UMass goes to the Alliance or some other conference to increase their football exposure.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/18045227/vcu-george-mason-butler-in-discussions-to-join-atlantic-10

While I don't like the look of a 16 team league nor the presumably 18 game conference schedule that comes with it, as a Xavier fan, I am ecstatic to hear the A10 is being proactive in conference realignment. Other than a Big East basketball split, aligning with basketball-focused schools is the best for Xavier.

West Pod: Xavier, SLU, Dayton, Butler

North Pod: UMass, Fordham, Rhode Island, St. Bonaventure

South Pod: Charlotte, Richmond, VCU, George Mason

East Pod: LaSalle, St. Joe's, Duquesne, George Washington

That is a truly solid conference that should garner 3-4 tournament bids every year. If only we could kick Fordham and LaSalle out and it would be a great conference.

I know that there are a lot of CAA fans here on OH. What do you think? Funny how this might work out, as about a year ago, I floated a similar A10/CAA merger:

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9347/conference.jpg

As a VCU fan, I'm ok with this, but with a few reservations.

Obviously, this would be a better move conference wise for VCU. A basketball centered conference with multiple bids to the Big Dance every year, more exposure, SOS would be better, etc. The A10 has some great teams, and getting a chance to play those teams every season would be a great opportunity. The cons (which might be short sighted by me) would be the traveling. Travel costs and times would increase, but I guess that's the way it is. Also, right now we have a good thing going in the CAA. We are consistently in the top 4 of the conference and competing for the title. However, we are a 1 bid league and I doubt you miss out on the tournament if you have a season like Drexel did if you are a member of the A10.

Overall I think it would be a good move. The CAA is becoming more focused on football, so a move up to the A10 is probably best for VCU and Mason.

• 2 weeks later...

Like I said Private O! They stole your idea!:D

I think it's a no brainer at this point.

The CAA is turning into a serious mess in a hurry. Towson and UNC-W are both suspended for postseason play in 2012. ODU athletics as a whole could be in serious trouble and in turn face suspensions. Georgia State is apparently leaving for the Sun Belt as well. Northeastern and Hofstra are tired of the travelling and want to switch conferences asap.

Mason Nation and I won't have to complain about playing in Richmond for the CAA tournament anymore. Plus it?s a complete dump and Yeager isn't moving it anywhere else. The A10 is going to have their tourney in a top of the line NBA arena.

Time's up for the CAA. It's time for Mason and VCU to pack their bags and hopefully meet Butler as well in the A10.

I don't know where I can look it up but it seems like every year the A10 is getting at least 3 teams in the tournament and every once in a while getting 4 teams or so.

All these teams in the same conference, yes please.

Xavier

Dayton

Saint Louis

St. Joe's

Richmond

The Bonnies

Mason

VCU

Butler

Don't worry PrivateO, Fordham and LaSalle can move to the CAA.

On a side note, a soccer player I work with suggested I scout a player from Fordham. The soocer player from Fordham "You've actually heard of Fordham?" Me: Yes, everyone knows Fordham, you guys are awful in basketball."

Like I said Private O! They stole your idea!:D

I think it's a no brainer at this point.

The CAA is turning into a serious mess in a hurry. Towson and UNC-W are both suspended for postseason play in 2012. ODU athletics as a whole could be in serious trouble and in turn face suspensions. Georgia State is apparently leaving for the Sun Belt as well. Northeastern and Hofstra are tired of the travelling and want to switch conferences asap.

Mason Nation and I won't have to complain about playing in Richmond for the CAA tournament anymore. Plus it?s a complete dump and Yeager isn't moving it anywhere else. The A10 is going to have their tourney in a top of the line NBA arena.

Time's up for the CAA. It's time for Mason and VCU to pack their bags and hopefully meet Butler as well in the A10.

I don't know where I can look it up but it seems like every year the A10 is getting at least 3 teams in the tournament and every once in a while getting 4 teams or so.

All these teams in the same conference' date=' yes please.

Xavier

Dayton

Saint Louis

St. Joe's

Richmond

The Bonnies

Mason

VCU

Butler

Don't worry PrivateO, Fordham and LaSalle can move to the CAA.

On a side note, a soccer player I work with suggested I scout a player from Fordham. The soocer player from Fordham "You've actually heard of Fordham?" Me: Yes, everyone knows Fordham, you guys are awful in basketball."[/quote']

Just a few weeks ago, the AD of GW came out and said that additions would be announced in a couple of months. My guess is that Mason and VCU wait until July 1st when they get the CAA's cut of the NCAA tournament money, and then announce that they are leaving. http://blogs.gwhatchet.com/courtside/2012/03/27/vcu-george-mason-join-list-of-potential-additions-to-a-10/

At this point, both need to go. It was just announced a few days ago that the CAA would no longer participate in the ESPN Bracketbusters. The A10 doesn't participate in it either, but being a member of that conference, you shouldn't need to. Time for VCU and Mason to say bye to the CAA.

Well, this whole discussion got a whole lot more interesting. The CAA was supposed to vote today on increasing the exit fees to $1M+ today, but they cancelled it. They would need more than 75% (i.e. 9 of 11 schools) to approve the change. I just don't see how they do it with ODU and JMU looking for football options and VCU/GMU thinking about the A10.

Well, this whole discussion got a whole lot more interesting. The CAA was supposed to vote today on increasing the exit fees to $1M+ today, but they cancelled it. They would need more than 75% (i.e. 9 of 11 schools) to approve the change. I just don't see how they do it with ODU and JMU looking for football options and VCU/GMU thinking about the A10.

Yep, the next couple months should get interesting.

Also, Ga. State announced they are leaving for the Sun Belt.

As a CAA fan, all this makes me sad. No offense, PrivateO, Xavier's a good program. I'll just miss the geography of the conference centered around the Virginia schools. I hate what happened to the ACC, and I'm not excited about these potential moves.

No, I absolutely understand your side of the story. I think behind the MAC, the CAA is probably one of the closest-knit conferences geography-wise in the whole country. It is admirable and something that is very very beneficial to the fans of those programs.

While you lose William & Mary, ODU, and JMU in-state, you gain Richmond and GW nearby. I'm guessing you (along with other VCU/GMU fans) are not looking forward to the A10 outliers in UMass, Rhode Island, and (would be) Butler.

Earlier today we saw this nugget:

Lenn Robbins ‏ @LennRobbins Close

George Mason and VCU to the A-10 on May 1...Butler probably...The Post has learned

But then unfortunately we saw this:

Andy Katz ‏ @ESPNAndyKatz Reply Retweet Favorite ? Open

A-10 commish Bernadette McGlade and CAA commish Tom Yeager deny report GMU and VCU are heading to A-10.

• 2 weeks later...

This sucks. ODU is gone to C-USA and Mason and VCU are most likely not going to the A-10. The main reason ODU left was because they thought Mason & VCU to A10 was a done deal. Now, they aren’t going anywhere and we just lost one of our top basketball teams. Mason really took a dump on this one, awful.

New President Cabrera and the administration have no clue.

- Update,

VCU could go join A10 soon if the 49ers leave. Mason could be left alone. Awesome job Cabrera, bravo.

This sucks. ODU is gone to C-USA and Mason and VCU are most likely not going to the A-10. The main reason ODU left was because they thought Mason & VCU to A10 was a done deal. Now' date=' they aren’t going anywhere and we just lost one of our top basketball teams. Mason really took a dump on this one, awful.

New President Cabrera and the administration have no clue.

- Update,

[b']VCU could go join A10 soon if the 49ers leave. Mason could be left alone. Awesome job Cabrera, bravo[/b].

Where'd you see this? Everything that I have read points that VCU wanted to hold still because their AD was leaving (he's becoming the AD at Minnesota).

I agree with your premise though. The CAA as a conference is teetering. They've already lost Georgia St. and ODU. Rumors swirling about VCU/GMU. I'm sure James Madison and Delaware are looking at football options (maybe the MAC?).

EDIT: Is this what you were referring to?

Mat Shelton ‏ @MatShelton

Just got this in an email about VCU/A10. "It appears you will get your wish, and it's coming quickly............" HOLD ON TIGHT RAM FANS!

Expand

http://www.eyesradio.com/2012/52-breaking-news-about-george-mason-to-the-a10/

Hey Private O,

I had received info from a former player about all the happenings. Was told last week Mason wouldn’t be leaving and Butler would go to A10 but with so many rumblings I have no clue what to believe. Things are a mess with the President who doesn’t want to go to the A10. That is correct, the VCU ad switch to Minnesota threw a major wrench into the whole process. At first, Butler was waiting for Mason & VCU to leave and then would follow through. When VCU ad announced he was leaving, things got choppy and Butler thought things through and decided it was the right move to leave the Horizon no matter what Mason & VCU would do.

I can tell you this right not, Mason does not, I repeat, does not care about athletics as they should. They have really dropped the ball to make major strides since the Final 4. I am already very furious of how the Admin handled everything. The basketball team does not have its own practice facility, they were supposed to build this as well as improvements to the baseball stadium years ago. The soccer stadium set up with track is awful as is the fact they turned down an opportunity to build a football program pre Final 4 days. Tom OConner Mason’s ad and ad department wanted the A10 switch but they don’t have the final call.

Also, I don't know who that twitter guy is but I'm sure some people are hearing info at the same time. 49ers may be going to C-USA as well; if that's the case VCU may come in and take their spot. That would leave Mason all alone. No Georgia State, no ODU, no VCU, ouch.

I still think VCU and Mason will consider going to the A-10, but with Teague leaving as our AD that threw a lot of the plans off, IMO. A lot of VCU fans have said from the beginning that VCU will announce after July 1st, once they receive the NCAA Tournament money. Now how much of that is true, I guess we will see.

Archived