+ Reply to Thread
    Can_of_corn is offline Plus Member since 12/09 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

The Jamie Moyer 49

Jim Caple piece. 49 Moyer facts.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2012/st...ow-jamie-moyer

My favorites:

At 49 years and four months, Moyer not only is older than Robert Redford was when he played Roy Hobbs in "The Natural'' (46 when filming began), he's older than was Wilford Brimley (48 at start of filming), who portrayed old manager Pop Fisher.
    Because he pitched in both leagues before the wave of new stadiums and in both leagues after the new stadiums, Moyer has pitched in a record 49 big league ballparks (plus three more in Japan during an MLB tour). The only ballparks in use during his career he missed are Exhibition Park in Toronto, Mile High Stadium in Denver and Target Field in Minnesota. If he makes the team, Miami's new stadium could be his 50th.

Moose Milligan is offline Plus Member Since 06/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

byrdz is offline Plus Member since 11/03 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose Milligan View Post
    Awesome, I hope he plays for many more years.

Quote Originally Posted by scOtt View Post
    Booooooo! Where's the O doll - oh wait they didn't make them back then......

SteveA is offline Plus member since 01/06 All-Star Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by byrdz View Post
    Awesome, I hope he plays for many more years.
    Me too, he's hanging in there as the only guy left in the majors older than me.

I can still remember the day a guy younger than me (Dwight Gooden) first made the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
    Me too, he's hanging in there as the only guy left in the majors older than me.

I can still remember the day a guy younger than me (Dwight Gooden) first made the majors.
    Heh. I was happy when I heard he was going to try to get back. Then I looked it up. I'm 5 months older than Jamie.

Can_of_corn is offline Plus Member since 12/09 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Impressive new Moyer stat:

8.9% of all baseball players since 1876 with more than one plate appearance have at one point faced Moyer.

Don Quixote is offline Plus Member Since 4/10 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Can_of_corn View Post
    Impressive new Moyer stat:

8.9% of all baseball players since 1876 with more than one plate appearance have at one point faced Moyer.
    Huh....

OFFNY is offline Plus Member since 3/11 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    o
    *** JAMIE MOYER BECOMES THE OLDEST PITCHER EVER TO WIN A MAJOR LEAGUE GAME ***

JAMIE MOYER

IP:. 7

H:o 6

R:O 2

ER: 0

BB: 2

SO: 1

Pitches: 87 (54 Strikes, 33 Balls)

2011 ERA: 2.55

http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci...ckies-win-over

glenn__davis is offline Plus Member Since 3/04 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Honestly I think this story kind of gets lost, but pretty amazing for him to do what he's doing at 49.

After I saw he won last night I had to look it up. I thought the little that Satchel Paige pitched in the majors he was much older. Turned out his last win(s) in 1953 came at 47.

Paige did pitch three scoreless innings for the KC Athletics (minors) at 56. 0-0 WL.

OFFNY is offline Plus Member since 3/11 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by scOtt View Post
    After I saw he won last night I had to look it up. I thought the little that Satchel Paige pitched in the majors he was much older. Turned out his last win(s) in 1953 came at 47.

Paige did pitch three scoreless innings for the KC Athletics (minors) at 56. 0-0 WL.
    No Scott, that was the Kansas City Athletics of the majors that Paige pitched for in 1965. They moved to Oakland 3 years later.

Also, Paige's birth certificate was never confirmed, so it was quite possible that he was 66 years-old when he pitched for the A's in that 1965 season ...... depending on who you listen to.

Nigel Tufnel is online now Plus Member since August 2008 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Funny Jeremy Guthrie tweet:

Jeremy Guthrie ‏ @JGuthrie46
    "I'd pitch this guy like I used to pitch Willie McGee." #ThingsMoyerTellsMeOnTheBench

glenn__davis is offline Plus Member Since 3/04 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    Funny Jeremy Guthrie tweet:
    Hahaha, that is fantastic.