The Jamie Moyer 49

Can_of_corn

Jim Caple piece. 49 Moyer facts.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2012/story/_/id/7727972/forty-nine-things-know-jamie-moyer

My favorites:

At 49 years and four months, Moyer not only is older than Robert Redford was when he played Roy Hobbs in "The Natural'' (46 when filming began), he's older than was Wilford Brimley (48 at start of filming), who portrayed old manager Pop Fisher.
Because he pitched in both leagues before the wave of new stadiums and in both leagues after the new stadiums, Moyer has pitched in a record 49 big league ballparks (plus three more in Japan during an MLB tour). The only ballparks in use during his career he missed are Exhibition Park in Toronto, Mile High Stadium in Denver and Target Field in Minnesota. If he makes the team, Miami's new stadium could be his 50th.

Awesome, I hope he plays for many more years.

Me too, he's hanging in there as the only guy left in the majors older than me.

I can still remember the day a guy younger than me (Dwight Gooden) first made the majors.

Me too, he's hanging in there as the only guy left in the majors older than me.

I can still remember the day a guy younger than me (Dwight Gooden) first made the majors.

Heh. I was happy when I heard he was going to try to get back. Then I looked it up. I'm 5 months older than Jamie. :P

• 2 weeks later...

After I saw he won last night I had to look it up. I thought the little that Satchel Paige pitched in the majors he was much older. Turned out his last win(s) in 1953 came at 47.

Paige did pitch three scoreless innings for the KC Athletics (minors) at 56. 0-0 WL. :eek:

After I saw he won last night I had to look it up. I thought the little that Satchel Paige pitched in the majors he was much older. Turned out his last win(s) in 1953 came at 47.

Paige did pitch three scoreless innings for the KC Athletics (minors) at 56. 0-0 WL. :eek:

No Scott, that was the Kansas City Athletics of the majors that Paige pitched for in 1965. They moved to Oakland 3 years later.

Also, Paige's birth certificate was never confirmed, so it was quite possible that he was 66 years-old when he pitched for the A's in that 1965 season :eek: ...... depending on who you listen to. :)

Archived