+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TakebackOPACY is offline Plus Member Since 12/07 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Grich to Angels: Palmer Wants Out

Something Frobby mentioned in the 'Mussina; O's HOF' thread had me digging into the story of Grich signing with the Angels in the early years of Free Agency. I may dig more later, but I came across this interesting article from the Milwaukee Journal; Nov. 23, 1976.

Grich, the All-Star second baseman of the Orioles became the third free agent from the re-entry draft to sign with Autry's Angels. Outfielders Don Baylor and Joe Rudi, from Oakland, had signed earlier.

And Palmer, the Cy Young Award winner of the Orioles, said he was disturbed at the Orioles decision, "not to make one serious, feasible bid for anyone who is in the free agent market." and wants to be traded, preferably to a contender.

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Ironic that the next 7 years of Orioles history after Palmer made that remark was a fantastic time to be an Orioles fan. We lost Reggie Jackson, Bobby Grich and Wayne Garland (who had won 20 games in 1976) that offseason, and everyone assumed the Orioles were headed for a big decline. Instead we finished 2.5 games out of first place the next year with an underdog team filled with rookies like Eddie Murray, Rich Dauer and Dennis Martinez and the city (and the Washington area) fell in love with the team. In that 7 year stretch, the O's won a World Series, another AL pennant, and finished within 3 games of 1st place three other times, without a single top free agent on the team. And attendance doubled during that period, even compared to the great 1969-71 teams.

TGO is offline Plus Member Since 11/05 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Off topic but look at how many car-related ads there are in that newspaper!

Icterus galbula is offline Plus Member since 12/06 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Off topic but look at how many car-related ads there are in that newspaper!
    Buy a '77 Pinto and get a free CB radio! Silly seventies.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobby View Post
    Ironic that the next 7 years of Orioles history after Palmer made that remark was a fantastic time to be an Orioles fan. We lost Reggie Jackson, Bobby Grich and Wayne Garland (who had won 20 games in 1976) that offseason, and everyone assumed the Orioles were headed for a big decline. Instead we finished 2.5 games out of first place the next year with an underdog team filled with rookies like Eddie Murray, Rich Dauer and Dennis Martinez and the city (and the Washington area) fell in love with the team. In that 7 year stretch, the O's won a World Series, another AL pennant, and finished within 3 games of 1st place three other times, without a single top free agent on the team. And attendance doubled during that period, even compared to the great 1969-71 teams.
    Not surprisingly, this corresponded with my developing years as a baseball fan (age 7-13). The Orioles were so good at developing their own talent and Earl was so good at using role players to their maximum effectiveness that the Orioles always found a way to win, despite the fact that players like Reggie, Grich, Garland, and Stanhouse left for "greener" pastures.

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-OH View Post
    Not surprisingly, this corresponded with my developing years as a baseball fan (age 7-13). The Orioles were so good at developing their own talent and Earl was so good at using role players to their maximum effectiveness that the Orioles always found a way to win, despite the fact that players like Reggie, Grich, Garland, and Stanhouse left for "greener" pastures.
    I actually think that was the best era to be an Orioles fan. The '66-71 teams were unparalleled, but the '77-83 teams were more lovable.

I actually think that was the best era to be an Orioles fan. The '66-71 teams were unparalleled, but the '77-83 teams were more lovable.
    I agree. Of course I'm biased.

Sports Guy is offline Plus Member Since 3/04 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation
    Ha!

What about the 2000-2010 Orioles...Did you forget about that era?

Quote Originally Posted by Sports Guy View Post
    Ha!

What about the 2000-2010 Orioles...Did you forget about that era?
    I pity the generation of fans who grew up with that, like my 19-year old son. I just hope the next generation of fans will have a better fate.

tilgaham is offline Plus Member since 05/11 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I pity the generation of fans who grew up with that, like my 19-year old son. I just hope the next generation of fans will have a better fate.
    I can empathize with your son

CA-ORIOLE is offline Plus Members Since 9/11 Hall of Fame Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by TakebackOPACY View Post
    Something Frobby mentioned in the 'Mussina; O's HOF' thread had me digging into the story of Grich signing with the Angels in the early years of Free Agency. I may dig more later, but I came across this interesting article from the Milwaukee Journal; Nov. 23, 1976.

I recall Palmer whining like a baby when we got Earl Williams as catcher and the went on to win the Cy Young, having one of the best years of his career.

Jammer7 is offline Plus Member Since 12/07 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-OH View Post
    Yeah, I was 9-15, so I can relate. I remember getting the paper in the morning just to read the box scores and to see the Sunday paper for the stats. I hated the west coast trips because you had to wait until the day after to see the boxes if the games weren't on tv with Brooks and Chuck.

Would Benny Ayala and Jim Dwyer be major league ballplayers in today's game? Todd Cruz or Wayne Gross? Kiko Garcia or Lenn Sakata? All role players who played just enough to stay fairly sharp and came through seemingly more often than not. And we seemed to have an endless supply of pitchers to call up from Rochester to fill-in for an injury.

Now, we have the MLB game package (no MASN here), MLB network, ESPN, and the rest of the internet to keep us up to date, and I am grateful. I am glad my 12 year old son plays the game at a high level, and I guess you could say he is an Orioles' fan. But I think he is more a fan of certain players like Tulowitzki, Ellsbury, Pedroia, Utley, Jeter, Halladay and Lee. I wish he could have seen Cal and Eddie play...Flanny and Jim pitch. What we had was special.

crissfan172 is offline Plus Member since 12/10 Hall of Fame Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by tilgaham View Post
    I can empathize with your son
    Same, but some of the memories are still great, and I honestly think it's going to make it so amazing when we finally get there.

rochester is offline Plus Member Since 12/07 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Cubs.... think Cubs... we are talking generationS! there...

jets4ever is offline Plus Member Since December 2008 All-Star Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by rochester View Post
    Cubs.... think Cubs... we are talking generationS! there...
    True.

But, it's a very short list that we're, working our way, close to the top of.