+ Reply to Thread

McNabb on First Take

Donovan McNabb was a failure playing for Mike Shanahan and Kyle Shanahan in Washington, and McNabb thinks Robert Griffin III will be a failure in the Shanahans? offense, too. But that won?t be Griffin?s fault.

Asked on ESPN First Take if Griffin is a good fit with the offense the Shanahans run in Washington, McNabb answered, ?No.?

McNabb, who was benched in his only season playing for the Redskins, said that if the Redskins, as expected, take Griffin with the second overall pick in the NFL draft, the father-and-son Shanahan combination will try to force Griffin into their own offensive system, rather than modifying their offense to capitalize on Griffin?s strengths.

?A lot of times ego gets too involved when it comes to being in Washington,? McNabb said.

Where ego comes into play, McNabb said, is that the Shanahans think a quarterback has to fit himself into their offense ? the same offense that Kyle Shanahan ran when he was the Houston Texans? offensive coordinator ? rather than tailoring their offense to accentuate the quarterback?s strengths.

?Here?s a guy coming out who?s very talented, mobile, strong arm, we?ve already heard he?s intelligent, football mind,? McNabb said of Griffin. ?Are you going to cater the offense around his talent, and what he?s able to do, or are you going to bring the Houston offense with Matt Schaub over to him and have him kind of be embedded in that??

McNabb then took a shot at both Mike Shanahan and the other quarterbacks who have played for them, saying that Shanahan hasn?t had success with a quarterback since John Elway in the 1990s.

?We talk so much about Mike Shanahan and the things he was able to do in Denver,? McNabb said. ?Well, I have a couple of names for you that Mike Shanahan ? quarterbacks he?s coached ? and the lack of success that he?s had.?

At that point, McNabb ran down the last decade of quarterbacks Shanahan has coached (although McNabb curiously excluded himself from the list) and proceeded to suggest that the win-loss record proves Shanahan had failed with all of them.

?We had John Beck, who was 0-4,? McNabb said. ?Rex Grossman: 6-11. Jay Cutler, who was his prize possession: 17-20. Jake Plummer, a guy who had success, led them to the AFC Championship against Pittsburgh, as we know, and then benched him the next year, because he wouldn?t do what he wanted him to do. Brian Griese, who was supposed to be the heir apparent to John Elway, hasn?t had a lot of success.?

McNabb then suggested that if Shanahan can?t make the offense work with Griffin, Shanahan could be fired at the end of the season.

?I don?t think it?s a good fit,? McNabb said. ?If this doesn?t work this year, if we don?t see a splash like a Cam Newton splash, this could be it. . . . How long does he have with RG3? The seat is hot right now.?

McNabb compared his own talents to Griffin?s talents, and McNabb indicated that Shanahan doesn?t know how to use a quarterback with those talents.

?I was misused,? McNabb said. ?Absolutely, I was misused.?

And McNabb thinks Griffin will be misused, too.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ahans-offense/

I guess all those balls being thrown in the dirt were a product of the Shannys system. Thank God you got out and went on to continue your great play in Minnesota...oh wait....

The man is bitter and just didn't have it anymore. Part of the blame is on Shanny, yes, but McNabb never takes any responsibility at all for what went down in D.C. He honestly thinks he shouldn't take any of the blame.

I think it's funny he's STILL blaming everyone but himself, but he looked IDENTICAL in MIN and ignores that.

Dr. FLK is offline Plus Member Since 12/05 All-Star Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    He absolutely was misused. They tried using him as a quarterback when clearly he wasn't suited for it.

JDubs is offline Plus Member since 9/10 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    They should have used him as head worm killer.

Sports Guy is offline Plus Member Since 3/04 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation
    He is both bitter and correct.

square634 is offline Plus Member since 9/06 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Sports Guy View Post
    I agree. I couldn't help thinking how similar this could be to an Orioles thread with a few names changed.

Correct in what sense? RG3 isn't a good fit in D.C.? Or that Shanny will let his ego get in the way. I think RG3 fits Shanny's system perfectly, rolling out on play actions and throwing the deep ball, which is RG3's best throwing quality. He needs a QB that can move around and make all the throws, that is RG3. McNabb and Shanny were set in their own ways and were never going to be a good fit with eachother, I hated the move. McNabb was lazy and never put the work in during the week. RG3 is young and very coachable and will work his tail off. Not to mention he was a Bronco fan growing up and respects Shanny very much.

NewMarketSean is offline Plus member Since 05/04 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Shanahan didn't want McNabb, Snyder did.

It's no wonder that they didn't get along.

How is he correct? It wasn't the system's fault that he didn't succeed, because he went on to MINN and had all of the same problems all over again. He's just not good anymore, and he's lazy now too. I've heard quite a few people say that Shanny did modify his system to try and get Donovan going (remember that one game where Donovan threw like 30 screens...since it was the only pass he could complete?), but nothing worked. Shanny isn't as dumb/stubborn as Donovan thinks, and Donovan isn't as good as Donovan thinks.

Sports Guy is offline Plus Member Since 3/04 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Floater View Post
    Correct in what sense? RG3 isn't a good fit in D.C.? Or that Shanny will let his ego get in the way. I think RG3 fits Shanny's system perfectly, rolling out on play actions and throwing the deep ball, which is RG3's best throwing quality. He needs a QB that can move around and make all the throws, that is RG3. McNabb and Shanny were set in their own ways and were never going to be a good fit with eachother, I hated the move. McNabb was lazy and never put the work in during the week. RG3 is young and very coachable and will work his tail off. Not to mention he was a Bronco fan growing up and respects Shanny very much.
    Sorry, talking more about Shanny than whether or not RG3 will succeed....although, it wouldn't shock me if the Skins aren't the right situation for him(and I like RG3).

Shanny is overrated.

Sorry, talking more about Shanny than whether or not RG3 will succeed....although, it wouldn't shock me if the Skins aren't the right situation for him(and I like RG3).

Shanny is overrated.
    Not as overrated as Donovan.

flashjordnk is offline Plus Member Since June 2010 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Shanny is overrated.
    I really disagree with Griffin's potential to succeed in a Shanahan offense. I think a bootleg, play action type offense is the perfect fit for RG3.

I think Kyle has a pretty big hand print on the Skins offense. And that his style represents much more of what Houston does than what Denver did. IMO, the Skins way more pass oriented than any of those Denver teams ever were (and that's with the other RG3, Rex Grossman III).

I guess Donovan is saying that Shanny called the "5 step drop throw it into the dirt 5 yards short of the WR" play too often. I predict that if Shanny calls that play a lot with RG3, he won't be successful either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. FLK View Post
    I guess Donovan is saying that Shanny called the "5 step drop throw it into the dirt 5 yards short of the WR" play too often. I predict that if Shanny calls that play a lot with RG3, he won't be successful either.
    That's better than Andy Reid's "freak out and barf in the huddle on three" play that he ran in the Super Bowl.