+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by bobmc View Post
    All good stuff - I might add the skulls racing on the Schuylkill for a nice AM if there is a regatta or just schools practicing every AM. I like the pretzels they sell on the street and any Italian hoagie sold in a deli. I know you've already been to the Palestra so I won't add that great old landmark.
    How'd you know that? My closest friend was the starting center on the Penn team that went to the Final Four in 1979. I saw him play there several times back in the day, and he is a Penn season ticket holder now so I go see a game with him once every other year or so. In fact, I saw a great game there last month that was decided on a shot in overtime with 0.6 seconds to play. Great place to see a basketball game.

He has a favorite bar to hang out at after the game called Smokey Joe's. I've drunk myself silly there several times, but I don't see that happening with my wife and son in tow.

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Just got back today from my vacation that included parts of 3 days in Philly. Did the following:

- Constitution Center
    - Independence Hall
    - Liberty Bell
    - Philadelphia Museum of Art
    - a play at the Walnut Street Theater (oldest operating theater in the U.S.)
    - Valley Forge on our way out of town

Also had a really good dinner at a place called Cuba Libre at 2nd and Market, and rolled down to John's Roast Pork, where my son and I split one roast pork sub and one cheesesteak.

And the O's went 3-0 while I was gone.

Todd-O is offline Plus Member since 02/12 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I lived in Philly for 8 yrs. Got married in the city... Kids were born there. I'm
    Full of tips on the city... But here is my favorite one:

Go to chestnut hill... Find the restaurant called McNallys (hint: it's a small black door). Order a Schmitter on a long roll. It's the best sandwich you will ever have... Not to mention Chestnut Hill is a great. Trust me on this one. The Schmitter is AWESOME and McNallys is a cool little pub existing in a very old and narrow rowhouse. Great stuff
    Last edited by Todd-O; 04-09-2012 at 04:49 PM.

Todd-O is offline Plus Member since 02/12 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Saw you mentioned Smokey Joes... My wife waitressed there during college!

NewMarketSean is offline Plus member Since 05/04 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Frobby View Post
    Just got back today from my vacation that included parts of 3 days in Philly. Did the following:

- Constitution Center
    - Independence Hall
    - Liberty Bell
    - Philadelphia Museum of Art
    - a play at the Walnut Street Theater (oldest operating theater in the U.S.)
    - Valley Forge on our way out of town

Also had a really good dinner at a place called Cuba Libre at 2nd and Market, and rolled down to John's Roast Pork, where my son and I split one roast pork sub and one cheesesteak.

And the O's went 3-0 while I was gone.
    Why did you come back, Frobby????

McNulty is offline Plus Member Since 3/08 All-Star Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I'm surprised Cuba Libre was good for you. I've heard a lot of rotten things about the service there.

How'd you like the steak at Johns?

TGO is offline Plus Member Since 11/05 All-Star Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by NewMarketSean View Post
    Why did you come back, Frobby????
    The infamous Frobby jinx!

Scrat1 is offline Plus Member since 6/2008 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Crack?

I think I can say that considering I'm from a town that Janet Reno once called the meth capital of the east coast.

Yup, Frobby jinx. Matusz thanks you!

Quote Originally Posted by McNulty View Post
    I'm surprised Cuba Libre was good for you. I've heard a lot of rotten things about the service there.

How'd you like the steak at Johns?
    I had no trouble at all with the service at Cuba Libre, though admittedly, we ate fairly early and it was a weeknight. They had a great selection of mojitos and other mixed drinks, and the food was excellent.

I thought both the roast pork sub and the cheesesteak were very good at John's. We got there during the end of the lunch rush, around 1:30, and it took about 30-40 minutes to work our way through the line. I was surprised at how un-greasy the food seemed, and it was very tasty. Several hours later, my stomach was a bit agitated, but nothing severe.

As I mentioned, I made several trips to Pat's back when I was visiting my buddy in college, but I was never very sober at the time. I clearly recollect that they used Cheese Whiz instead of real cheese. Even though the cheese at John's is undoubtedly better and healthier, there was something charming and oddly addictive about that Cheese Whiz.