+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

TT: Snyder inline to make Rangers opening day roster, Miller most likely DFA material

When the Orioles acquired Jai Miller they sent Brandon Snyder to Texas in what amounted to a dump (cash considerations). Despite the fact that Snyder had played one game in the outfield during his minor league career, the Rangers have basically converted Snyder to an outfielder and he looks set to open the year as a backup OF/1B/DH for Texas.

Meanwhile, Miller struck out in 20 of his 45 spring training at bats and will most likely be waived or DFA'd when the Orioles have to add Paulino and Johnson to the roster.

With Snyder's questionable defense at first base, I guess I'm a little surprised the Orioles didn't give him a look last year in the outfield. I know Miller is certainly a better defensive player, but he's not an effective defensive center fielder so really we are looking at a corner outfielder. Knowing Miller's inability to make contact in AAA, Snyder's bat always profiled better than Miller's, even if Snyder's lack of power would limit his overall ceiling.

Either way, it certainly looks like the Orioles got the bad end of this deal.

clapdiddy is offline Plus Member Since 02/03 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I saw Brandon also made it on ESPN top 10 plays with a diving catch in the outfield last week.

It could be one of those situations where a change of scenery for him will help him out immensely. Texas has had a pretty good record on developing hitters.

backwardsk is offline Plus Member Since 3/08 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Well, we did take Chavez from them, so there's that.

Snyder is helped out because their utility guy is also their DH, so it creates an extra position spot. Good luck to him.

NewMarketSean is offline Plus member Since 05/04 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    In that ballpark he could become a decent 4th OF, offensively.

Not losing any sleep over this one though.

El Gordo is offline Plus member since 6/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Thumbs up

Snyder would have no better chance of making the O's this year than Miller, because we don't need an extra OF/1B/DH. and Flaherty is a much better choice for those roles, plus others.

33rdst is offline Plus Member since 11/03 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    These are kind of stories I find particularly annoying. I read an interview wit Snyder before he was sold to the Rangers. In it he said he felt very good about the way he hit the ball last year and he thought tha Harbor Park robbed him of several home runs. I just don't know how our player development people can miss the boat on what once was a first round draft pick. Man I hope Duquette can straighten this out.

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I'm a bit surprised to hear Brandon made the Rangers' OD roster, but I'm pleased for him. I hope he hits enough to stick. I doubt his glove is going to be anything to write home about, because he's a step slow. No doubt Miller is a much better defensive OF who can at least substitute in CF and be pretty good on the corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-OH View Post
    When the Orioles acquired Jai Miller they sent Brandon Snyder to Texas in what amounted to a dump (cash considerations). Despite the fact that Snyder had played one game in the outfield during his minor league career, the Rangers have basically converted Snyder to an outfielder and he looks set to open the year as a backup OF/1B/DH for Texas.

Meanwhile, Miller struck out in 20 of his 45 spring training at bats and will most likely be waived or DFA'd when the Orioles have to add Paulino and Johnson to the roster.

With Snyder's questionable defense at first base, I guess I'm a little surprised the Orioles didn't give him a look last year in the outfield. I know Miller is certainly a better defensive player, but he's not an effective defensive center fielder so really we are looking at a corner outfielder. Knowing Miller's inability to make contact in AAA, Snyder's bat always profiled better than Miller's, even if Snyder's lack of power would limit his overall ceiling.

Either way, it certainly looks like the Orioles got the bad end of this deal.
    Good take Tony. When d and I were at the Arizona fall league a couple years ago Brandon was by far the second best offensive player. To Grant Desme. Who became a priest. So there is that. I do think the Miller deal was a back up plan for if we dealt Jones. I think it may have been closer than we know. My thoughts are that Mike Minor was the hangup. Just a guess.

Is Brandon out of options? If so, I expect him to be available if we decide we want him back. And if Brian Roberts is on the 60 day DL. That slot had much to do with the off season 40 man roster management.

Snyder is probably pinching himself every day, that he is on the Opening Day roster for a World Series worthy organization.

I'm glad for him, and will be following his progress closely.

RZNJ is offline Plus member Since 04/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Snyder has failed to hit in AAA for three years now and shown poor plate discipline the whole time there. Is there something I'm missing?

wildcard is offline Plus Member since 11/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Good for Brandon. However with that Texas lineup it will be hard for him to get consistent at bats. That will probably hurt his effectiveness during the season. As far as Miller goes, I think there is a good chance he make it to Norfolk and is recalled during the season when injuries hit. His Ks will limit him though.

I have been for moving the fences in at Harbor Park for years now. It hurts the development of the O's hitters IMO.

Sports Guy is offline Plus Member Since 3/04 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation
    This isn't as bad as trading for TT and Eveland.

He struck out 20 times in 45 ABs?? Is that even possible?

Enjoy Terror is offline Plus Member Since November 2008 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I will not lose sleep over Brandon Snyder being dumped on the Rangers and warming their bench on opening day.

Blame can be shared between Brandon and the Orioles for the outcome of his career. If he suddenly becomes a power hitting machine for them, I'm not going to pretend that "if only the Orioles had waited, had given him a shot" that it would've happened for us instead. The Orioles had YEARS to get him to where he needed to be.

Similarly, you can't blame the Orioles for missing on Jayson Werth. You can't blame them for not developing Jose Bautista. Some players are "right place, right time" kind of players, and Snyder may be that kind of player.