+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Sports Guy's Avatar
    Sports Guy is offline Plus Member Since 3/04 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    43,230


  2. #2
    Can_of_corn's Avatar
    Can_of_corn is online now Plus Member since 12/09 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    32,217
    Wow never expected to see an article about LeBron James. Thanks ESPN!

    (not meant as a slight on KVV the article itself isn't badly written at all)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Halethorpe, MD
    Posts
    8,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Can_of_corn View Post
    Wow never expected to see an article about LeBron James. Thanks ESPN!

    (not meant as a slight on KVV the article itself isn't badly written at all)
    LeBron James is perhaps the most remarkable athlete of this generation (him or Tiger Woods) so I don't think it's possible for ESPN to over-hype him.

    Tim Tebow on the other hand....

  4. #4
    Moose Milligan's Avatar
    Moose Milligan is offline Plus Member Since 06/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    14,467
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Cerrano View Post
    LeBron James is perhaps the most remarkable athlete of this generation (him or Tiger Woods) so I don't think it's possible for ESPN to over-hype him.

    Tim Tebow on the other hand....
    Ok, explain.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Halethorpe, MD
    Posts
    8,977
    I just think when you look at the totality of his career arc -- from being on the cover of SI and called the next Jordan before he was legally able to vote; to being drafted by his hometown team; to winning multiple MVPs at such a young age and making a Finals in 2007 without any sort of support; constantly coming up short; the decision which blew up in his face and immediately turned him from face to heel; to having the choke-artist stamp affixed to his name.....so many events/issues arise whenever you bring him up, more than anyone from his generation. If all this stuff just happened to a top 10 player in the league (like Derrick Rose say) it would still be remarkable. Add in the fact that it's happening to clearly the best player on the planet and maybe MAYBE the best player of all time when all is said and done and it's just jaw-dropping IMO.

    Put another way, if you were to write a novel based on any athlete from this generation's career (not including overcoming adversity stories like the wrestler with no legs or feature stories like Pat Tillman), who would you pick other than LeBron (with the notable exception of possibly Tiger Woods)?

    There is never ever a lack of things to discuss when bringing him up.
    Last edited by Pedro Cerrano; 04-05-2012 at 12:30 AM.

  6. #6
    Can_of_corn's Avatar
    Can_of_corn is online now Plus Member since 12/09 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    32,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Cerrano View Post
    I just think when you look at the totality of his career arc -- from being on the cover of SI and called the next Jordan before he was legally able to vote; to being drafted by his hometown team; to winning multiple MVPs at such a young age and making a Finals in 2007 without any sort of support; constantly coming up short; the decision which blew up in his face and immediately turned him from face to heel; to having the choke-artist stamp affixed to his name.....so many events/issues arise whenever you bring him up, more than anyone from his generation. If all this stuff just happened to a top 10 player in the league (like Derrick Rose say) it would still be remarkable. Add in the fact that it's happening to clearly the best player on the planet and maybe MAYBE the best player of all time when all is said and done and it's just jaw-dropping IMO.

    Put another way, if you were to write a novel based on any athlete from this generation's career (not including overcoming adversity stories like the wrestler with no legs or feature stories like Pat Tillman), who would you pick other than LeBron (with the notable exception of possibly Tiger Woods)?

    There is never ever a lack of things to discuss when bringing him up.
    Lance Armstrong

    Would Josh Hamilton be "overcoming adversity"?

    Michael Vick

    Heck I would rather write a Shaq novel then LeBron.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Halethorpe, MD
    Posts
    8,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Can_of_corn View Post
    Lance Armstrong

    Would Josh Hamilton be "overcoming adversity"?

    Michael Vick

    Heck I would rather write a Shaq novel then LeBron.
    Again, it's the totality of the career. Most of the examples you offer are niche stories (although they're very interesting).

    I'd also argue that Shaq and Armstrong might be from a previous generation.

  8. #8
    Can_of_corn's Avatar
    Can_of_corn is online now Plus Member since 12/09 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    32,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Cerrano View Post
    Again, it's the totality of the career. Most of the examples you offer are niche stories (although they're very interesting).

    I'd also argue that Shaq and Armstrong might be from a previous generation
    .

    And I would agree with you if you hadn't mentioned Woods.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Halethorpe, MD
    Posts
    8,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Can_of_corn View Post
    And I would agree with you if you hadn't mentioned Woods.
    But the most interesting thing(s) happening in Tiger's career have all happened in the last 2-3 years. That's the difference IMO. Shaq and Armstrong are both retired and some would argue that Tiger is smack in the middle of his "prime" right now.

  10. #10
    Can_of_corn's Avatar
    Can_of_corn is online now Plus Member since 12/09 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    32,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Cerrano View Post
    But the most interesting thing(s) happening in Tiger's career have all happened in the last 2-3 years. That's the difference IMO. Shaq and Armstrong are both retired and some would argue that Tiger is smack in the middle of his "prime" right now.
    I see Tiger as a bridge between the others. I also think that being the youngest winner and having the largest margin of victory and his "tiger slam" are interesting.

    I just don't find LeBron all that interesting on a personal level, even if I am impressed with his abilities on the court.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    You'll always be with us Flanny
    Posts
    8,334
    I agree with Pedro on this one. I don't know anyone who doesn't know who LeBro is. Just sayin'.

    BTW, this was KVV's first contribution to ESPN the Mag - He has already made it a better magazine - very well done.
    Last edited by The Rick; 04-05-2012 at 11:05 PM.

  12. #12
    Moose Milligan's Avatar
    Moose Milligan is offline Plus Member Since 06/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    14,467
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Cerrano View Post
    I just think when you look at the totality of his career arc -- from being on the cover of SI and called the next Jordan before he was legally able to vote; to being drafted by his hometown team; to winning multiple MVPs at such a young age and making a Finals in 2007 without any sort of support; constantly coming up short; the decision which blew up in his face and immediately turned him from face to heel; to having the choke-artist stamp affixed to his name.....so many events/issues arise whenever you bring him up, more than anyone from his generation. If all this stuff just happened to a top 10 player in the league (like Derrick Rose say) it would still be remarkable. Add in the fact that it's happening to clearly the best player on the planet and maybe MAYBE the best player of all time when all is said and done and it's just jaw-dropping IMO.

    Put another way, if you were to write a novel based on any athlete from this generation's career (not including overcoming adversity stories like the wrestler with no legs or feature stories like Pat Tillman), who would you pick other than LeBron (with the notable exception of possibly Tiger Woods)?

    There is never ever a lack of things to discuss when bringing him up.
    Good argument. Though I'd never pick up a book about LeBron, I hate him too much. I feel like I already know his entire story and I don't really care to learn any more.

    You might call him the most remarkable athlete of our generation. I'd just point to him as a symbol of media trending. He wasn't the first high schooler basketball player to get a ton of publicity, but he did land the SI cover which is a giant step. "The Decision" was just another media driven event, mismanaged.

    I don't think making the Finals without any support isn't a big deal. Allen Iverson did it with the 76ers vs. the Lakers earlier in the decade. Allen Iverson was, pound for pound, every bit the player LeBron was, just 7 inches shorter.

    I don't think he's the best player on the planet, sorry. Admittedly, I don't watch the NBA like I used to but I still keep an eye on it. He's not a leader, he doesn't win when it counts and he's not clutch. He might become that one day, but I don't think he has the stones to do it. Jordan would kill a man to win and he was the undisputed leader of those Bulls teams. LeBron would rather jump teams and play Robin to Dwayne Wade's Batman.

    I understand why you call him remarkable, I just think that was more a product of someone being in the right time at the right place. If it wasn't him, it'd be someone else.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Halethorpe, MD
    Posts
    8,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose Milligan View Post
    Good argument. Though I'd never pick up a book about LeBron, I hate him too much. I feel like I already know his entire story and I don't really care to learn any more.

    You might call him the most remarkable athlete of our generation. I'd just point to him as a symbol of media trending. He wasn't the first high schooler basketball player to get a ton of publicity, but he did land the SI cover which is a giant step. "The Decision" was just another media driven event, mismanaged.

    I don't think making the Finals without any support isn't a big deal. Allen Iverson did it with the 76ers vs. the Lakers earlier in the decade. Allen Iverson was, pound for pound, every bit the player LeBron was, just 7 inches shorter.

    I don't think he's the best player on the planet, sorry. Admittedly, I don't watch the NBA like I used to but I still keep an eye on it. He's not a leader, he doesn't win when it counts and he's not clutch. He might become that one day, but I don't think he has the stones to do it. Jordan would kill a man to win and he was the undisputed leader of those Bulls teams. LeBron would rather jump teams and play Robin to Dwayne Wade's Batman.

    I understand why you call him remarkable, I just think that was more a product of someone being in the right time at the right place. If it wasn't him, it'd be someone else.
    You better clear out your next week on the calendar if mweb sees this.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Southern Mississippi
    Posts
    19
    Lebron is the Scottie Pippen of the Heat. A follower, not a leader.

  15. #15
    beaner's Avatar
    beaner is offline Double-A Hangouter - Plus Member since 12/04 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Eldersburg, Md
    Posts
    4,542
    Wow, great article KVV.

    I'm with PEdro, there's no question the league has never seen anyone like LeBron James. I know people keep talking about the championships, and I get it, but it doesn't change what I see on the court. He simply does things that no one can do, and dare I say it, at this point in his career he's actually UNDERRATED. There's nobody his size that can pass like that, and defend 4 of the 5 positions on the court with ease.

    He's having a historical season stat wise this year, which is even more ridiculous considering the schedule. He'll win the MVP again, and one of these years he will average a triple double, just incredible.

    It's sad to me that people have to hate on him, especially since now he's admitted "The Decision" was a stupid decision. Talent wise, dude is just incredible. I loved Larry Bird's podcast with Simmons when he said how LeBron was 'by far" the best player in the league talent wise, but he would rather play with Kobe.. I just hope LBJ finds that killer instinct that Kobe has and MJ had, if he does, look out.

    The article brings this up as well, he ALWAYS makes the right play, basketball wise, yet gets slammed for it when he doesn't take the big shot, even though he was double teamed and passed the ball to an open teammate. That's how I coach my Son's basketball team, always get the best shot. LeBron has that instinct, but sometimes people want him taking the shot regardless of whether it's a good Basketball play or not. Just an interesting dynamic to consider if anyone wants to look at this rationally (which I realize, most don't. It's easier just to say 'LeBron chokes, he sucks...etc")
    Last edited by beaner; 04-07-2012 at 10:35 AM.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

OriolesHangout.com is an unofficial site and not associated with the Baltimore Orioles and part of Hangout Ventures LLC. Copyright ©2013 | Privacy Policy | Advertise with us