+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Todd-O is offline Plus Member since 02/12 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I never said I was against the violence of football. I never said I was against football. I love football. Where did I say that? There's nothing I've said that leads to that conclusion.

What Billick said, and what I agree with, is that there is a difference between the standard rah-rah, hittem hard, body blowing, ball jarring hits... And telling players: I want you to go after player X's knee....

Think Karate Kid: the sweep the leg call.

Billick openly said that they encouraged players to hit hard... To rip people up... Whatever it may be. That's not the issue. But saying that you are going to purposely deliver a potentially career ending blow to a specified body part on a specified player isn't right... And he's right because these players know they could be next... And once they are done they are done. No more money... And the track record of the retired NFL player post playing - money wise - is pitiful. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to delineate this issue. It may not be black and white, but it makes sense.

flashjordnk is offline Plus Member Since June 2010 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd-O View Post
    It may not be black and white, but it makes sense.
    The above quote is where I disagree with you. You seem to want to apply a moral objectivity to a game that is not based in a moral premise. So in your head, you think it's clear because it just feels like it is, but when you dig deep down and think about the rationals that players have to use on the field and motivation tactics coaches need to inspire them I just don't agree that it makes sense.

I agree with you to a degree that Williams was and is extreme. That his positioning and wording is certainly regrettable. I don't think you and NFL players/coaches are on the same page. I don't think the guys on the Saints were tying to take out Crabtree's ACL and end his career. But if a first half hit to the "outside ACL" led to 1/4 second of hesitation from Crabtree, in the second half that would get the Saints into the NFC Championship game, every single player would take that trade off every single time. I bet those guys wanted to know that's what would make him hesitate and that's what would intimidate him. They want every possible edge they can come up with to win and to better their pay days and careers.

Again, I take you back to the Siragusa hit on Gannon. Siragusa wanted to hurt him, intimidate him, change the way Gannon thought to make him less effective and was willing to take illegal action to do that. I'm 100% positive that Brian Billick coach (not Brian Billick announcer) praised Goose for that hit and the impact it had on that game after the fact. He didn't denounce it as late, he didn't say you shouldn't have been trying to hit that guy on the arm, he's a QB you're going to ruin his career. I bet the coaching staff wanted the Ravens to then target Gannon in the place he was hurt. And I don't think in the game of Football that's over the line.

CrimsonTribe is offline Plus Member Since 08/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I know that this is off topic for this thread, but if I'm Steve Gleason and I have it in writing that those recordings were private and could not be released without my explicit approval, I'm taking that filmmaker to the cleaners.