+ Reply to Thread
    Lucky Jim is offline Plus Member since 12/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Smotrycz Visiting This Weekend

Possible transfer from Michigan. 6'9 and can shoot. We're in his final 3 - with Providence and Colorado.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,3456645.story

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Jim View Post
    Possible transfer from Michigan. 6'9 and can shoot. We're in his final 3 - with Providence and Colorado.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,3456645.story
    Sounds like an interesting possibility. But how many scholarships does Turg still have? And is Cassell Jr. now an afterthought?

clapdiddy is offline Plus Member Since 02/03 Hall of Fame Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by The Maestro View Post
    Sounds like an interesting possibility. But how many scholarships does Turg still have? And is Cassell Jr. now an afterthought?
    I'm wondering if some others might be transferring?

Jagwar is offline Plus Member 2004 Hall of Fame Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Is he a SF? Could that have been a big factor in Parker transferring?

Quote Originally Posted by Jagwar View Post
    Is he a SF? Could that have been a big factor in Parker transferring?
    He's basically a PF who can shoot the 3.

glenn__davis is offline Plus Member Since 3/04 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation
    Someone at Testudo Times says he has committed to MD.

http://www.testudotimes.com/2012/4/1...motrycz-a-terp

clapdiddy is offline Plus Member Since 02/03 Hall of Fame Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    This guy sounds like he could be a Dunleavy-type. Do you think that's a fair comparison?

As Testudo Times reported, he is coming to MD. Here is a ESPN article about him. I think Dunleavy is a stretch. He isn't quite the athlete that Dunleavy is and is more of a face-up 4 than a true small forward (which Dunleavy was). I think a better comparison would be a slightly shorter Ryan Kelly (current Duke player). Still, this should be a good pickup and I'm interested to see what kind of role he plays after he sits out a year. http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...land-terrapins

glenn__davis is offline Plus Member Since 3/04 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by clapdiddy View Post
    This guy sounds like he could be a Dunleavy-type. Do you think that's a fair comparison?
    Not as athletic as Dunleavy. From what I've seen (which I admit is very little), he's more like a banger that can shoot. Maybe like a Tahj Holden, but not as physical.

Maybe like a mix between Dunleavy and Holden in gameplay. Closer to Holen in overall effectiveness.

Lucky Jim is offline Plus Member since 12/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    He's definitely a niche option - not really a banger, but can stretch defenses and a good passer. Will get exposed against athletic wings, so he's mostly a four. But he can rebound. Holden is a decent comp, I think. With long, athletic wings (think Layman) having him be able to step out could really create some match-up problems for the opposing teams.

Man, we are going to be long.

Smotrycz is a well-rounded player - not a big scorer, but can shoot the 3 and take smaller players down low. More of a plus defender and plus rebounder. He was probably looking at a loss in playing time given Michigan's recruiting class. He will be an older player at Maryland that could be a huge plus. I would consider Smotrycz an average to above average player on a top 25 team getting 20-25 minutes per game. If he kicks up the scoring a notch or two, he would easily be a plus starter on a very good team.

He definitely could fill a nice role player position. As long as he realizes, and I'm guessing he does, he will not be starting most likely and won't be a 30+ minutes a night kind of guy. This really is going to be an interesting team this year and then even more so in 2013-2014. Super front court heavy this year with a lot of responsibility on Allen and Layman.

You have Len, Padgett, Pankey, Shaq, Mitchell in the big man rotation this year. This gives you a good amount of competition and hopefully good results come out of it. Dodd pgs or redshirts or sits and learns. Smotrycz sits as a transfer.

Faust and Layman at the 3. I don't really see many other options here with Parker leaving. I would of liked a little more time to groom Layman but with the lack of guards, no other potential 3s, and the fact that Faust will have to be used as a do-it-all guard still at times, I think Layman will be playing a good amount at the 3. Does a guy like Auslander get actual PT?

Stoglin, Howard (assuming he can recover), Allen, with Faust (being able to play either the 1, 2, or swing 3) at your guard spots. Does a guy like Thomas get more PT? A lot of responsibility on Allen. Even if he steps up he isn't a pure PG so I don't know how he will mesh with Stogs.

We are going to have one of the deepest teams in the country in 2013. And if we get the Harrison Twins...

Quote Originally Posted by Floater View Post
    We are going to have one of the deepest teams in the country in 2013. And if we get the Harrison Twins...
    I'll be interested to see if all these big men stick around. Hypothetically, Len could have a big year this year and could jump. Some of the others, Pankey, perhaps a guy like Mitchell if he doesn't think he will be getting a lot of PT, could transfer.

At guard, I feel as though there is a good chance Stogs is gone after this year even if he shouldn't leave. He doesn't fit into any NBA scheme particularly well since he isn't a great creator for others and too undersized to play off guard, plus he isn't a great defender. Even though he won't be a high pick almost no matter what, if he has another season like he did last year he will probably feel as though he has nothing left to prove individually.

Now it would probably be best that he did leave if we are banking on the Harrison twins but obviously that isn't a guarantee. The Harrison twins obviously want to play right away. I wonder what kind of guarantee they want in terms of Stogs being there or not.