In first place.

2012 AL EAST STANDINGS
    TEAM W L GB RS RA
    Baltimore 5 3 - 38 31
    Tampa Ba 4 3 .5 28 38
    MFYs. 4 4 1 35 35
    Toronto 4 4 1 38 33
    Boston 2 5 2.5 34 40

Not a bad recovery from that MFY series.
    And we've given up the least amount of runs in the Division so far! This team will go as far as their pitching takes them.

Isn't today the 4th of October?

Tampa sweeps the yanks, the yanks sweep the Os, the Os take 2 of 3 from the blue Jays, the Sox take 3 of 4 from Tampa. Welcome to the AL East.

Ven6 is offline Plus Member Since 01/09 Major Leagues Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Camden_yardbird View Post
    Tampa sweeps the yanks, the yanks sweep the Os, the Os take 2 of 3 from the blue Jays, the Sox take 3 of 4 from Tampa. Welcome to the AL East.
    Hope it stays this crazy all year long.

And if it does, the better the O's and Jays are, the less wins the big 3 rack up, the less wins it takes to win the division. But I suspect that would probably hurt the chances of the 2nd and 3rd place teams of taking a wildcard.

OFFNY is offline Plus Member since 3/11 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven6 View Post
    Hope it stays this crazy all year long.

And if it does, the better the O's and Jays are, the less wins the big 3 rack up, the less wins it takes to win the division. But I suspect that would probably hurt the chances of the 2nd and 3rd place teams of taking a wildcard.
    Point taken, but ........ I think that as a franchise, our priority is to have a winning seasons, regardless of who wins the division and who does or does not get the wildcard this year. If it takes all kinds of craziness to get us to between 83-88 wins and we don't make the post-season, so be it.

WE NEED A WINNING SEASON !!! If we can do that, then we can start feeling disappointed if we don't make the playoffs in 2013 and beyond.

Ven6 is offline Plus Member Since 01/09 Major Leagues Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFNY View Post
    Point taken, but ........ I think that as a franchise, our priority is to have a winning seasons, regardless of who wins the division and who does or does not get the wildcard this year. If it takes all kinds of craziness to get us to between 83-88 wins and we don't make the post-season, so be it.

WE NEED A WINNING SEASON !!! If we can do that, then we can start feeling disappointed if we don't make the playoffs in 2013 and beyond.
    Totally agree. I was just speculating that the 2nd or 3rd place AL East team (and wasn't thinking either were the O's) could be one of the best teams in baseball and not make the playoffs because the entire division got better and robbed them of wins.

OFFNY is offline Plus Member since 3/11 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Totally agree. I was just speculating that the 2nd or 3rd place AL East team (and wasn't thinking either were the O's) could be one of the best teams in baseball and not make the playoffs because the entire division got better and robbed them of wins.
    That's funny. ....... in a tragic-comic kind of way.

Ahhhhh, the crazy world of pro sports. In 2008, the Patriots went 11-5 and didn't make the playoffs, but the Chargers got a home playoff game with a record of 8-8. The 1967 Colts lost 1 game (11-1-2), and didn't make the post-season. The 1993 Giants went 103-59, and didn't get into the post-season.

I'm really torn with these kinds of things. I feel a sense of injustice when excellent teams get snubbed because of a system rather than for their play on the field. On the other hand, I feel that you do need to award division winners playoff spots, even if they have crappy records, and only get in due to the luck of the draw that season. It may be a necessary evil that we just have to grin and bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-OH View Post
    And we've given up the least amount of runs in the Division so far! This team will go as far as their pitching takes them.
    You are so right.

Quote Originally Posted by Camden_yardbird View Post
    Ins't it something?

o
    SOUL POSSESSION OF 1st PLACE

The Epic is offline Plus Member Since 04/10 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFNY View Post
    o
    SOUL POSSESSION OF 1st PLACE

Quote Originally Posted by The Epic View Post
    Oh man, I can't believe I did that !!!

VeveJones007 is offline Plus Member Since December 2009 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
    Hasn't Tampa been just "Rays" since 2007?
    As soon as they were exorcised of the Devil they started winning. Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
    As soon as they were exorcised of the Devil they started winning. Coincidence?
    Cartoon bird magic?

crowmst3k! is offline Plus Member Since 08/09 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation
    I keep thinking of good pickups the O's could make around the deadline to help sustain this. Early? Yes. But it's fun to think of the O's as possible buyers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2