Would you ever take a High School Catcher in the first round?

http://www.hsbaseballweb.com/pro-scouting/scouting_catchers.htm

"The evaluation of high school catchers may be the most subjective of all the scouting involving young players. Many professional scouting directors will tell you that after pitchers the drafting of high school catchers has the biggest "wash out" rate percentage among players drafted each year."

Really makes me wonder that the Snyder pick was about all those years ago?

http://www.hsbaseballweb.com/pro-scouting/scouting_catchers.htm

"The evaluation of high school catchers may be the most subjective of all the scouting involving young players. Many professional scouting directors will tell you that after pitchers the drafting of high school catchers has the biggest "wash out" rate percentage among players drafted each year."

Really makes me wonder that the Snyder pick was about all those years ago?

If that high school catcher is Bryce Harper, then yes. All others, probably no.

Exactly what I was thinking... ;)

This just makes me think of all the wasted picks we have had over the years on HS players in general.

Please don't fall apart Dylan!!!!!

Relying heavily on defensive position among high school players is a fool's errand. It is all about the bat. If that bat is good enough, he will fit in somewhere defensively. You don't know whether he is going to grow out of a defensive position or not but as long as the bat will play and he is reasonably athletic, you can find him a defensive position

And the Nats immediately moved him off catcher.

I wouldn't in the top 10 and would be hesitant to do so later in the round. It would have to be a situation where I had him significantly higher on my board, talent wise, then where I was picking.

And the Nats immediately moved him off catcher.

I wouldn't in the top 10 and would be hesitant to do so later in the round. It would have to be a situation where I had him significantly higher on my board, talent wise, then where I was picking.

He was still a high school catcher. I agree with how Washington has handled him so far.

He was drafted out of College of Southern Nevada.

He got his GED early and went to junior college.

True, but he got his GED in his sophomore year of HS (2009) . He was still HS-aged and it was junior college. Nit meet pick.

I would never draft a high school catcher due to the fact that it is a high risk low reward pick. First catcher is a tough position to reach the majors since you have to balance out your catching duties with your batting. Even if you do make it to the majors how many catchers in the league are truly middle of the order hitters, maybe 2 or 3.

If you draft a high schooler with an above average bat for a catcher but his defense is bad the only other option for him is 1B. In that case he becomes a below average player.

If I am going to draft a catcher he will be a college player since they are more refined and their defense is more of a sure bet.

I would never draft a high school catcher due to the fact that it is a high risk low reward pick. First catcher is a tough position to reach the majors since you have to balance out your catching duties with your batting. Even if you do make it to the majors how many catchers in the league are truly middle of the order hitters, maybe 2 or 3.

If you draft a high schooler with an above average bat for a catcher but his defense is bad the only other option for him is 1B. In that case he becomes a below average player.

If I am going to draft a catcher he will be a college player since they are more refined and their defense is more of a sure bet.

Boston drafted Blake Swihart to catch, but he is easily athletic enough to play in the infield or outfield were they to decide to move him. Same with Austin Hedges in San Diego. This year, Stryker Trahan could likely handle an outfield corner, as could a number of other highschool catchers.

I take your point, though, that if the player's value is heavily tied to his position, there is a risk that he will lose that value if/when he has to move.

Boston drafted Blake Swihart to catch, but he is easily athletic enough to play in the infield or outfield were they to decide to move him. Same with Austin Hedges in San Diego. This year, Stryker Trahan could likely handle an outfield corner, as could a number of other highschool catchers.

I take your point, though, that if the player's value is heavily tied to his position, there is a risk that he will lose that value if/when he has to move.

You can add Jayson Werth to the list. Originally drafted as a catcher in 97. I was just reading a pretty entertaining write-up that described how Werth's manager his first few years in the Orioles minor leagues would constantly defend Werth and tell the front office that he was going to be a MLB player. The FO (Syd Thrift) didn't buy it and we know the rest of the story. Don't mean to derail the thread...just seemed applicable, plus a good read.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110107&content_id=16406786&vkey=news_milb&fext=.jsp

I would lump high school pitchers in the same category as high school catchers. There are so many factors to consider, but I would need to see a talent that was so special with tremendous upside that I could not walk away from that player. Harper, Bundy, Mauer and Strasburg to name a few. I would not have invested picked many of the guys the Orioles have drafted in the first round if I was the GM, but so much of that has to do with the team having a budget, drafting based on need (I never would) and the fact that I would have geared the team towards the top pick by dealing away aging veterans.

The Orioles would likely have a better feel to them had they drafted a couple slots prior to where they picked in a couple drafts. Harper and Strasburg come to mind, but there are some others.

Archived