+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Jim View Post
    I don't disagree that it's his own fault. But thanks for re-emphasizing the obvious. Any other lessons you want to impart (other than, you know, don't act like a punk or you'll chase us off your yard)?
    I don't really know what you are trying to argue or what you are trying to get at.

Moving on from this guy, I'm glad to hear that Turgeon is down in Texas right now. I'm going to be so pumped if we lock up the Harrison Twins. They are star recruits that UMD has never really seen before. Expectations will be high and thats how I want it to be every year. I was getting tired of expecting to be decent every 3 years or so with Gary in the twilight of his career. Even with the news of Stoglin, the future is very bright and you have to be excited if you are a Terps Basketball fan.

Lucky Jim is offline Plus Member since 12/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Floater View Post
    I don't really know what you are trying to argue or what you are trying to get at.

Moving on from this guy, I'm glad to hear that Turgeon is down in Texas right now. I'm going to be so pumped if we lock up the Harrison Twins. They are star recruits that UMD has never really seen before. Expectations will be high and thats how I want it to be every year. I was getting tired of expecting to be decent every 3 years or so with Gary in the twilight of his career. Even with the news of Stoglin, the future is very bright and you have to be excited if you are a Terps Basketball fan.
    First, the thread is about Stoglin, so there's no real "moving on" to the Harrisons in this thread - feel free to start a new one.

Back to the topic: my point is that (i) "hating" a kid who plays for your team is a silly waste, and clearly misdirected (even if you try to distinguish by saying you "hate" his behavior); and (ii) that a lot of the comments regarding this seem to take some perverse pleasure in being "proven right" as to dislike re: Stoglin.

Whatever you think your point is, this sentence is revealing:

I certainly hate all of those things about him, and now he is out of a college degree and a real chance at an NBA career.
    It basically connects your hatred of him with the bad consequences. Which I find kind of amazing.

My take? Stoglin is immature, and more than a handful. Turge is, I'm sure, in the right on this. Stoglin absolutely is the cause of his own demise. That said, I take no pleasure in his bad decision, and feel regret for him that I can only anticipate he'll feel at some point in the future. I never root against a kid. And it gives me no satisfaction when a kid fails off-the-court.

First, the thread is about Stoglin, so there's no real "moving on" to the Harrisons in this thread - feel free to start a new one.

Back to the topic: my point is that (i) "hating" a kid who plays for your team is a silly waste, and clearly misdirected (even if you try to distinguish by saying you "hate" his behavior); and (ii) that a lot of the comments regarding this seem to take some perverse pleasure in being "proven right" as to dislike re: Stoglin.

Whatever you think your point is, this sentence is revealing:

It basically connects your hatred of him with the bad consequences. Which I find kind of amazing.

My take? Stoglin is immature, and more than a handful. Turge is, I'm sure, in the right on this. Stoglin absolutely is the cause of his own demise. That said, I take no pleasure in his bad decision, and feel regret for him that I can only anticipate he'll feel at some point in the future. I never root against a kid. And it gives me no satisfaction when a kid fails off-the-court.
    I'm saying he is out of all of those things BECAUSE OF HIS DECISIONS. I hate those things about him that I listed and because of those things about him, he is out of a real chance at the NBA and a college degree. And I never said I hated him, I said I hated things about him, some traits that he had. Understand?
    Last edited by Floater; 04-30-2012 at 07:42 PM.

MurphDogg is offline Plus Member Since 04/04 - Major League Hangouter All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Man, getting this emotionally invested in the decision making abilities of 18-21 year-olds seems a little silly.

Quote Originally Posted by MurphDogg View Post
    Man, getting this emotionally invested in the decision making abilities of 18-21 year-olds seems a little silly.
    I'm just glad we can move on with a Turgeon-esque unselfish team. Pumped for the future.

Lucky Jim is offline Plus Member since 12/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Floater View Post
    I'm saying he is out of all of those things BECAUSE OF HIS DECISIONS. I hate those things about him that I listed and because of those things about him, he is out of a real chance at the NBA and a college degree. And I never said I hated him, I said I hated things about him, some traits that he had. Understand?
    This is exactly what I stated you meant. I just don't think you realize how petty it sounds. And, yes, I understand. I don't expect reciprocity, though - so don't worry about it.

This is exactly what I stated you meant. I just don't think you realize how petty it sounds. And, yes, I understand. I don't expect reciprocity, though - so don't worry about it.
    I'm glad you finally understand

Satyr3206 is offline Plus Member since Oct 08 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Good riddance. On to recruiting the twins.

Dr. FLK is offline Plus Member Since 12/05 All-Star Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    You "hate" a 20 year old kid?
    What age am I allowed to start hating?

glenn__davis is offline Plus Member Since 3/04 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by MurphDogg View Post
    Well obviously it goes a little deeper than that, as those decisions have a profound effect on a sports team that you feel passionately for.

If you want to make the argument that getting this emotionally invested in a sports team seems a little silly, I can get behind that a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. FLK View Post
    What age am I allowed to start hating?
    I don't hate Stoglin, but I do agree that people are a little over-protective of these guys. 20 years old is not a kid. Doesn't mean he's fully matured and isn't going to make dumb decisions, Lord knows I made dumb decisions at that age, but he's certainly old enough to know better (if the rumors are true).

I didn't like his on-court demeanor from day 1, and said as much. But like I said earlier, I do legitimately think he was trying to be more of a team guy in the end. I would have liked to have seen what one more year under Turgeon would have done for him.

AgentOrange is offline Plus member since 03/06 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Sucks to lose Stogs. Instant offense is something that can keep you in every game. But at what cost? He wasn't too much of a team player and took some really poor shots out of offense.

I forgot who we were playing but I remember reading a tweet from a reporter on the MD sideline one game. Stoglin had just took a quick 3 instead of running the offense and Turg looked to the sideline and yelled something along the lines of "I can't coach this kid!!!!"

I think we are going to be really dynamic this year coming up. Faust will step up and I believe Len will do the same. If everyone stays again next year, we could be looking at a title run. Pretty excited about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-OH View Post
    Hope he enjoys playing in Siberia because that's where he'll be in about five years. Just a dumb decision, but the more I read up on Stoglin its not out of character. He probably saw all the talent coming in and realized he wouldn't be allowed to throw the ball up 25 times a game again. Stoglin ended up another Gilchrest but without the one magical run through the Conference tourney.
    Is he really Gilchrest bad? That guy was carried off the floor of the bathroom of Lupo's a few too many times for anyone to tolerate, athlete or not.

Slappy is offline Plus Member Since 07/09 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    It's a serious blow to the 2012-13 team, but from all indications Stoglin brought this upon himself. He didn't want to leave but "repeated violations" of University policy (rumored to be drug use) made the decision for him. Even though it is probably something as relatively harmless as weed, the fact is that this school will forever be linked to the Len Bias cocaine disaster, so these things don't just get swept under the rug, and they shouldn't. I can't fault the University, KA, or Turgeon on this one. Just a tough break.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesing4pie View Post
    Wow. Anyone who doesn't think losing Stogs is a big deal is crazy. I mean this guy carried us last year. I understand we have a big recruiting class but Allen and SCJ can't be expected to do everything. Faust is ideal at the wing and shouldn't have to be running any point at all and with Stogs gone and if Howard got arrested, Faust will still be running the point some. This is awful. Was hoping nothing like this would happen this offseason.
    I would think that Turgeon has been aware of this for a while and has a plan B. Last year we all freaked out about our bigs and he pulled Alex Len. I am betting there is a PG at a JUCO somewhere that has put in his transfer request.

Regardless, I would rather lose without him than watch the Terps with him. He was selfish, a ball hog and ultimately not coachable. They kill a team.

Good bye Terrell Stoglin , don't let the door hit you on the way out .As my Ma used to tell me all the time lol, but back to Stoglin how stupid can you be???? We gave the kid two chances before finally cutting the cord, kids are going to be kids but they have to wake up and see what kind of oppertunity they have starring them in the face. Especially Stoglin another year or two in school he probly would of been a 1st rounder hands down, now he's at best a 2nd and probly going to Europe.