+ Reply to Thread
    markdublya is offline Plus Member since 01/04 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Whether Brady stays here, or Nick goes to Cali....

...Markakis should spend the entire off-season working out with Brady. With his new position, Brady may spend more winter time here I suppose, and Nick has a family he wants to spend time with (as does Brady with his little girl), but its time for Nick to ramp it up. I like the guy, he is a very solid all-around player, but we pay him to be more. He is a #2, hitting 3rd (in my opinion), and we need more from him.

EDIT: Last 5 SLG% including one month of 2012:
    2008- .491
    2009- .453
    2010- .436
    2011- .406
    2012- .384 so far (but how about those first two games! )
    Last edited by markdublya; 05-01-2012 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Add SLG %

sangar is offline Plus Member Since 7/08 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Ideally, Brady's role will expand with a lot of players. Markakis is a good candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by sangar View Post
    Ideally, Brady's role will expand with a lot of players. Markakis is a good candidate.
    Brady is defacto Assistant GM. Considering that we do not have a GM. He's in Irvine in the offseason. Nick won't be. Nice idea though. It's for another time/space continuum.

Quote Originally Posted by markdublya View Post
    ...Markakis should spend the entire off-season working out with Brady. With his new position, Brady may spend more winter time here I suppose, and Nick has a family he wants to spend time with (as does Brady with his little girl), but its time for Nick to ramp it up. I like the guy, he is a very solid all-around player, but we pay him to be more. He is a #2, hitting 3rd (in my opinion), and we need more from him.

EDIT: Last 5 SLG% including one month of 2012:
    2008- .491
    2009- .453
    2010- .436
    2011- .406
    2012- .384 so far (but how about those first two games! )
    Maybe they could be Skype buddies. Oh wait. Nick don't do internet. Maybe Christina could hook him up.

markdublya is offline Plus Member since 01/04 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I hear ya Weams, but you really only need a week (maybe two) together to set the routines and then it is up to Nick to keep it up (or Brady to check in on Skype, haha).
    You don't just work hard to get the great contract, you should also bust your ass to justify it on an ongoing basis. I'm not suggesting Nick EVER dogs it on the field, quite the opposite, but there will be a lot of murmurs if his next career year is 2014!

I'm sure Nick's injury is what is preventing the power this year, fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by LookitsPuck View Post
    I'm sure Nick's injury is what is preventing the power this year, fwiw.
    No doubt, the abdominal area affects so many others, just like the back, but he hasn't slugged over .450 since 2009

TheBee is offline Plus Member since 12/08 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Interesting - both guys 6 foot one - tons of doubles - both have some speed - good for around 20 dingers a year... up and down but around an 800 OPS. I just wish Markakis actually looked like he weighed the twenty to thirty pounds he supposedly outweighs Brady's playing weight by... I agree with the OP.

crissfan172 is offline Plus Member since 12/10 Hall of Fame Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Uh...his SLG is down because his BA is down. Also...BABIP is down and K% is up. When those things work themselves out, he'll probably be around an .800 OPS.

TheBee is offline Plus Member since 12/08 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by crissfan172 View Post
    Uh...his SLG is down because his BA is down. Also...BABIP is down and K% is up. When those things work themselves out, he'll probably be around an .800 OPS.
    I agree. Is that it for Markakis, though? Is that his maximum potential?

UpstateNYfan is offline Plus Member Since 01/11 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Nick was pretty impressive yesterday in BP at Yankee Stadium...rope after rope into the right field stands. Clearly looked better than the rest of the O's. I know it's BP, but

Quote Originally Posted by crissfan172 View Post
    Uh...his SLG is down because his BA is down.
    How so?? That is true this year, but this post isn't just about this year. Other than 2012, he has been .284-.306 the whole way thru, some years his average even went up. This is about a steady drop in the long ball, except last year when he went "all the way back" up to 15, but lost 14-15 doubles.

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Talk to me about this when the year is over. I'm not drawing conclusions about what Nick should do this offseason based on 23 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobby View Post
    Talk to me about this when the year is over. I'm not drawing conclusions about what Nick should do this offseason based on 23 games.
    Unfortunately, this thread is coming off as a reaction to April, but that wasn't what I intended. How about based on a 4 season trend?
    Last edited by markdublya; 05-01-2012 at 03:52 PM.