+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Keith Law thinks O's should draft Correa?

Shoshana (Boston)

If you were the Orioles would you take Correa at #4? I have to admit the college pitching prospects have me feeling really underwhelmed

Klaw (12:13 PM)

Quite happily, yes. There's a good case to be made that Correa will end up the best player in this draft class.
    http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/43678

Here's some more info. This is from Bleacher Report, so take it with a grain...

Carlos Correa (Puerto Rico; SS):

Hailing from the famed Puerto Rico Baseball Academy, Carlos Correa has made plenty of noise in the MLB scouting pool.

Usually, shortstops than can hit for both power and average develop the missing piece later down the road in either the minors or once they are established in the league. Correa on the other hand, clearly has five tools early on and is primed for development.

MLB Comparison: Troy Tulowitzki

Both are over 6'4'' and have terrific range at short, but where the comparison is most clear is at the dish. Tulo is one of the top shortstops in the league and a purely enjoyable talent to watch. He has 90 homers since 2009 and is sure to hit between 30 and 40 once again this season.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...u-need-to-know

JohnnyK27 is offline Plus Member Since 01/08 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I'm in! We need positional talent and he & Machado can be on the leftside for a long time for the Orioles.

GoldGlove21 is offline Plus Member since 7/09 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK27 View Post
    I'm in! We need positional talent and he & Machado can be on the leftside for a long time for the Orioles.
    It is easier to find a high upside pitcher outside of the first round than it is to find a super star positional player IMO. I want the Orioles to add high upside bats because I do think that we will get lucky on a couple pitchers over the next couple of years.

Want Correa. Wouldn't be surprised to see him ultimately go in top 3 though.

OrioleMagic79 is offline Plus Member Since 3/12 Major Leagues Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by ccbird View Post
    Want Correa. Wouldn't be surprised to see him ultimately go in top 3 though.
    fingers crossed...maybe we should stop posting about him in case the other teams are reading this thread for our opinions on who they should draft...

Hutman is offline Plus Member since 04/02 Norfolk Reputation
    Here is Law's write up from him from over the weekend. Says he has absurd eye hand coordination, he says he could be the best player out of this class. Only 17. I'm definitly liking
    him.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog/...tial-mlb-draft

mcgraw238 is offline Plus Member since 12/09 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    How would Correa stack up against Machado as a prospect?

Quote Originally Posted by mcgraw238 View Post
    How would Correa stack up against Machado as a prospect?
    POTENTIALLY...more power, little less average, not as good defensively.

Hooded Viper is offline Plus Member Since September 2009 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by allstar1579 View Post
    POTENTIALLY...more power, little less average, not as good defensively.

Then draft him and put him at 3B. Between him, Delmonico and Esposito there has to be a major league 3B in there somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Hooded Viper View Post
    Then draft him and put him at 3B. Between him, Delmonico and Esposito there has to be a major league 3B in there somewhere
    Yep, it's what I'd do. One of the high-ceiling HS kids would make me happiest this year. I'm also a big believer in Giolito.

eb45 is offline Aberdeen Reporter All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    What's the most recent update on Giolito's health? Last I heard he was starting a throwing program. Any chance he's back to full strength and showing it by draft time?

Hooded Viper is offline Plus Member Since September 2009 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Probably already been discussed but what are our chances of this happening at 4?

Quote Originally Posted by eb45 View Post
    What's the most recent update on Giolito's health? Last I heard he was starting a throwing program. Any chance he's back to full strength and showing it by draft time?
    He's been throwing for about 4-5 days now. Nothing major to report because the media isn't watching him throw, but I expect to see someone covering the draft check in on him in the next week or so.

Decent chance, it was elbow not shoulder, so even if it's a surgery thing, he would have been fine after TJ.

paulcoates is offline Plus Member since 12/06 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by allstar1579 View Post
    He's been throwing for about 4-5 days now. Nothing major to report because the media isn't watching him throw, but I expect to see someone covering the draft check in on him in the next week or so.

Decent chance, it was elbow not shoulder, so even if it's a surgery thing, he would have been fine after TJ.
    What are the chances of reinjury with Giolito? I hate drafting a guy that had major surgery that early. I understand the temptation because of his stuff, but 1st should be about drafting sure things