Keith Law thinks O's should draft Correa?

Here's some more info. This is from Bleacher Report, so take it with a grain...

Carlos Correa (Puerto Rico; SS):

Hailing from the famed Puerto Rico Baseball Academy, Carlos Correa has made plenty of noise in the MLB scouting pool.

Usually, shortstops than can hit for both power and average develop the missing piece later down the road in either the minors or once they are established in the league. Correa on the other hand, clearly has five tools early on and is primed for development.

MLB Comparison: Troy Tulowitzki

Both are over 6'4'' and have terrific range at short, but where the comparison is most clear is at the dish. Tulo is one of the top shortstops in the league and a purely enjoyable talent to watch. He has 90 homers since 2009 and is sure to hit between 30 and 40 once again this season.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1139654-mlb-draft-2012-carlos-correa-and-five-studs-you-need-to-know

I'm in! We need positional talent and he & Machado can be on the leftside for a long time for the Orioles.

It is easier to find a high upside pitcher outside of the first round than it is to find a super star positional player IMO. I want the Orioles to add high upside bats because I do think that we will get lucky on a couple pitchers over the next couple of years.

Then draft him and put him at 3B. Between him, Delmonico and Esposito there has to be a major league 3B in there somewhere :)

Yep, it's what I'd do. One of the high-ceiling HS kids would make me happiest this year. I'm also a big believer in Giolito.

What's the most recent update on Giolito's health? Last I heard he was starting a throwing program. Any chance he's back to full strength and showing it by draft time?

He's been throwing for about 4-5 days now. Nothing major to report because the media isn't watching him throw, but I expect to see someone covering the draft check in on him in the next week or so.

Decent chance, it was elbow not shoulder, so even if it's a surgery thing, he would have been fine after TJ.

He's been throwing for about 4-5 days now. Nothing major to report because the media isn't watching him throw, but I expect to see someone covering the draft check in on him in the next week or so.

Decent chance, it was elbow not shoulder, so even if it's a surgery thing, he would have been fine after TJ.

What are the chances of reinjury with Giolito? I hate drafting a guy that had major surgery that early. I understand the temptation because of his stuff, but 1st should be about drafting sure things

Archived