+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CA-ORIOLE is offline Plus Members Since 9/11 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Schoop and Tillman plus to the Padres for Chase Headley.

El Gordo is online now Plus member since 6/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by CA-ORIOLE View Post
    I'd be on board for that.

Quote Originally Posted by CA-ORIOLE View Post
    Certainly possible I would think. Jedd Gyorko is heating up at AA and probably the Padres 3B of the future. I like that proposal.

edit...Disregard...looks like San Diego is playing Gyorko at 2B now.
    Last edited by blamo0; 05-06-2012 at 05:54 AM.

JohnnyK27 is offline Plus Member Since 01/08 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by blamo0 View Post
    Certainly possible I would think. Jedd Gyorko is heating up at AA and probably the Padres 3B of the future. I like that proposal.

edit...Disregard...looks like San Diego is playing Gyorko at 2B now.
    I don't think it means too much. If the guy can play 3rd and that position is available then he could be moved back.

Quote Originally Posted by tilgaham View Post
    Rent Andre Ethier.
    Dodgers are in the pennant race, they are not trading him.

It is really early...not sure we would be buyers and not sure who would be sellers. That said, definitely David Wright would be a pretty great get. I would think it would take Schoop/Tillman/+ to get him. Maybe Avery or Hoes. Given Andino's play at 2B and the fact that when Machado gets here we can move Hardy to 3B to replace Wright if he leaves I would make that move.

What about Matt Garza? The Cubs will be out of it. Garza can pitch in AL East. I think he is a free agent, so it might come at a discount. Would you be willing to move a Schoop or a Matusz for someone a little more proven?

jamalshw is offline Plus Members since 4/12 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation
    This is very difficult for me to think about. I'm so used to being sellers that I hate giving up young prospects.

To be honest, if we're still in it in July, I wouldn't want to add too much, because I wouldn't want to pay the price. I would still think it's a bit of an illusion and expect the inevitable fall.

crowmst3k! is offline Plus Member Since 08/09 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation
    Britton and Tillman for Matt Garza

OrioleMagic79 is offline Plus Member Since 3/12 Major Leagues Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by crowmst3k! View Post
    Britton and Tillman for Matt Garza
    I'm fine with Tillman, if he has value, we should trade him even if we aren't in it...see if we can get a couple of guys to help or a couple other prospects at different positions of need...we have a lot of pitching prospects, and their development is starting to show early signs of who the guys are going to be...looks to me like Tillman is on the outside of that...

so my ideal situation would be to trade him before that becomes obvious to everyone else too...I think organizations that consistently maintain a stellar farm system are able to respond to early signs of "he's not likely to develop into what we want him to be" before it is obvious to other organizations...so we cherry pick younger guys with potential or in other areas of need...if you hold onto hope too long, then other organizations can see that he isn't working out and he loses his value...

so regardless, I think Tillman is as valuable as he will ever be to us as trade bait...look at the Braves, they trade prospects and use them as major trade bait all the time...how many times do you hear Braves fans complaining that they traded a guy away and he became a superstar? They pay close attention to this and don't wait too long on guys before their trade value disappears...think Andy Marte...(not that Tillman has nearly the hype that Marte had, but this was just to illustrate the point)

Edit: Sorry, forgot to add that I don't want to trade Britton at all...I am still high on him...

I think our rotation over the next few years (maybe 5 years) will look very good with some combo of Arrieta, Britton, Matusz, Hammel, Chen, Wada?, and Bundy (when he gets here - which is by next year at the latest IMO)...and we'll have guys like Berken, Hunter, and/or Bergesen that can serve as call-ups and spot starters...

I cannot wait for Bundy to get here...the way Arrieta seems to be developing (let's hope it continues), the way Britton looked at times, if Bundy comes in and becomes a dominant #1 like we've been needing for years, these guys will be excellent 2nd and 3rd starters...Arrieta could end up being good enough to be a #1, but be in a #2 spot...that would be awesome, and would make us the type of team that can compete for a championship...
    Last edited by OrioleMagic79; 05-06-2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: additional point I forgot to make...