"I was trying to hit him. I'm not going to deny it."

Aglets

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh. I'm a Hamels fan. I don't see the point in hitting Harper, but he did it the right way if you are going to do it (keeping it low and away from the head). I'd be pissed were I the Phil's brass -- way to get yourself suspended, Cole.

What did he hit him for?

I think Bryce Harper might be the most hated player in baseball right now. I only watched his first series against the Dodgers, but he was booed at every plate appearance.

He's a rookie, he's arrogant, and he's awesome. That combination might get you booed and plunked from time to time.

Well, Nats GM Mike Rizzo isn't holding back.

Rizzo said player safety should take precedence and Hamels should miss at least one start.

“With all the bounty [stuff] going on in professional football, the commissioner better act with a purpose on this thing,” Rizzo said. “Players have a way of monitoring themselves. We’re not here to hit people and hurt people.

“He thinks he’s sending a message to us of being a tough guy. He’s sending the polar opposite message. He says he’s being honest; well, I’m being honest. It was a gutless chicken [bleep] [bleeping] act. That was a fake-tough act. No one has ever accused Cole Hamels of being old school.”

The Nationals-Phillies rivalry reached a new intensity this weekend, but Rizzo said the intentional plunking is a different matter.

“This goes beyond rivalry and all that stuff,” Rizzo said. “This points to, you take the youngest guy in baseball. He’s never done a thing. And then Hamels patted himself on the back. Harper’s old school. Hitting him on the back, that ain’t old school. That’s [bleeping] chicken [bleep].”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/mike-rizzo-calls-cole-hamels-fake-tough-calls-for-suspension-after-classless-gutless-act/2012/05/07/gIQAZPO07T_blog.html

Archived