+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nothing against Bordick, but I wish that MASN would bring Ben McDonald on board. He was terrific in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    He's better than Dempsey. He's better than Hunter. He's better than Dave Johnson. He's better than Buck Martinez. He's better than Michael Reghi. He's better than Rex Barney. Heck, he's better than Fred Manfra.

I think maybe Palmer has just spoiled us.
    In all fairness, Rex Barney wasn't a color man.

Nigel Tufnel is offline Plus Member since August 2008 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wedge View Post
    In all fairness, Rex Barney wasn't a color man.
    That's for sure. He occasionally filled in on the radio, and I think I remember him on HTS, but I could be wrong about that. Great PA guy, not very good on radio/TV.
    Last edited by Nigel Tufnel; 05-08-2012 at 04:51 PM.

That's for sure. He occasionally filled in on the radio, and I think I remember him on HTS, but I could be wrong about that. Great PA guy, not very good on radio/TV.

Regardless, no one can replace the immortal Rex Barney. "Give that fan a contract." "Thank youuuuuuuuuu."

Nigel Tufnel is offline Plus Member since August 2008 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by OsShallreturn View Post
    Regardless, no one can replace the immortal Rex Barney. "Give that fan a contract." "Thank youuuuuuuuuu."
    Yep, no doubt. I should have been clearer that I was only talking about his radio/TV work. He was a great, great PA announcer.

Yep, no doubt. I should have been clearer that I was only talking about his radio/TV work. He was a great, great PA announcer.
    Amazing how although Rex was a Dodger, he always will seem like a Baltimore treasure to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobby View Post
    Everything he says about Bordick is fair. One point worth mentioning is that since Bordick has a coaching role in the organization, he can't really be expected to rip into players who mess up. His dual role makes it hard for him to be blunt about what he sees.

Overall, I don't mind Bordick, and I hope he'll grow into the role. At least he doesn't annoy me, as Buck Martinez often did.
    'He sure did"...Buck Martinez...

My only comment is that, and believe me this is NOT because he is dead, Mike Flanagan was BETTER than many think. He was really witty, understated and said things that mattered.
    He was also smart about things outside the game and worked very well with Thorne and anyone. I think I know something about broadcasters too.

Scrat1 is offline Plus Member since 6/2008 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Firestone View Post
    My only comment is that, and believe me this is NOT because he is dead, Mike Flanagan was BETTER than many think. He was really witty, understated and said things that mattered.
    He was also smart about things outside the game and worked very well with Thorne and anyone.
    Came to post the same thing. At first I didn't like Flanny in the booth. He was a little dry and timid. But as he settled in he was a real pleasure. I don't love Bordick so far, but I also think some of his problems are the same as Flanny's and after he gets his sea legs he could be really interesting.

Whoever mentioned above that Palmer has spoiled us is right. The quality of our crew compared to the Nats crew is just night and day. Bordick would be the best guy they had and he's not even in the running here.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Firestone View Post
    'He sure did"...Buck Martinez...

He was also smart about things outside the game and worked very well with Thorne and anyone. I think I know something about broadcasters too.
    Roy, you're definitely right. It happens to be Flanny did have tremendous insight into the game. Pitchers probably make the best analysts. I think I just had trouble with his monotone delivery and dry wit. And truth be told, Palmer has clearly spoiled us.