+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Across the street from OPACY!
    Posts
    41

    Keith Law's Top 100 Draft Prospects

    Here is Law's newest list on ESPN Insider:
    http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story...raft-prospects

    He ranks them on talent and not how he actually thinks they will be drafted necessarily.

    Top 5:
    1. Buxton
    2. Correa
    3. Gausman
    4. Zunino
    5. Fried

    Looks like he doesn't think that the draft will go by best player at all as he thinks the top 3 picks will be Buxton, Zimmer and Zunino. Which would be fine with me since we would be picking at 4 with some great players left!


  2. #2
    JohnnyK27's Avatar
    JohnnyK27 is offline Plus Member Since 01/08 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Back in Westminster Md
    Posts
    10,400
    Quote Originally Posted by EasternShoreOs8 View Post
    Here is Law's newest list on ESPN Insider:
    http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story...raft-prospects

    He ranks them on talent and not how he actually thinks they will be drafted necessarily.

    Top 5:
    1. Buxton
    2. Correa
    3. Gausman
    4. Zunino
    5. Fried

    Looks like he doesn't think that the draft will go by best player at all as he thinks the top 3 picks will be Buxton, Zimmer and Zunino. Which would be fine with me since we would be picking at 4 with some great players left!
    I want #2 !!!!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lanham, MD
    Posts
    8,261
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK27 View Post
    I want #2 !!!!!
    Actually, most people think Buxton is no. 1, but in general the top 7 are all interchangeable.

  4. #4
    Stotle's Avatar
    Stotle is offline Hangout Scouting Contributor Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    12,077
    I think Keith did a very good job with his work on this list.

  5. #5
    clapdiddy is offline Plus Member Since 02/03 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    9,251
    Quote Originally Posted by Stotle View Post
    I think Keith did a very good job with his work on this list.
    I'm guessing Correa is likely selected before we get the chance. If Buxton and Correa are gone, who do you like at our pick?

  6. #6
    Stotle's Avatar
    Stotle is offline Hangout Scouting Contributor Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    12,077
    Quote Originally Posted by clapdiddy View Post
    I'm guessing Correa is likely selected before we get the chance. If Buxton and Correa are gone, who do you like at our pick?
    I'm writing up a pref list update at Camden Depot for the ESPN SweetSpot network today -- will post around 12pm.

    Also, I think Minnesota is pretty locked in on Gausman as of right now (still looking at some others), with Houston and Seattle potentially splitting Correa/Buxton in some form. If Appel finishes strong, I still think he ends up in Houston at 1st overall.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    179
    Also of interest

    Appel #6. States his overwork as main reason why he dropped which goes against his "Evaluating talent only not team needs" since he also stated that scared a ton of top teams off

    Giolito #9. Says he had the most minor of elbow injuries and could very well go #1.

    Wacha #16. Great frame but doesn't have a solid breaking ball yet but his change is a major league out pitch.

  8. #8
    JohnnyK27's Avatar
    JohnnyK27 is offline Plus Member Since 01/08 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Back in Westminster Md
    Posts
    10,400
    We need positional prospects ...especially talented hitters that hit for power & average. It would be nice if they could also walk 100 times per season and not challenge the strike out record.

  9. #9
    LookinUp's Avatar
    LookinUp is offline Plus Member Since 6/08 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bubble
    Posts
    6,040
    I would argue that our record is more highly correlated with our pitching. All things equal, I want the pitcher.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Towson
    Posts
    324
    Of the group Gausman is the guy I like the most. Sounds like he may not be there at 4, if so I like Correa.

  11. #11
    RZNJ's Avatar
    RZNJ is online now Plus member Since 04/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    15,079
    Quote Originally Posted by LookinUp View Post
    I would argue that our record is more highly correlated with our pitching. All things equal, I want the pitcher.

    I would argue that our record has got nothing to do with starting pitchers drafted with high picks. Sure, if the right guy was there but to draft pitching just to draft pitching?

  12. #12
    LookinUp's Avatar
    LookinUp is offline Plus Member Since 6/08 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bubble
    Posts
    6,040
    Quote Originally Posted by RZNJ View Post
    I would argue that our record has got nothing to do with starting pitchers drafted with high picks. Sure, if the right guy was there but to draft pitching just to draft pitching?
    You must have missed where I said "All things equal."

    All I'm saying is with similar level talent, I'll take the pitcher.

    This might not be smart for Giolito. Someone smarter than me has to make some assessment about his physical risk. It might be much smarter to take a HS bat or college arm over him. I don't know.

  13. #13
    RZNJ's Avatar
    RZNJ is online now Plus member Since 04/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    15,079
    Quote Originally Posted by LookinUp View Post
    You must have missed where I said "All things equal."

    All I'm saying is with similar level talent, I'll take the pitcher.

    This might not be smart for Giolito. Someone smarter than me has to make some assessment about his physical risk. It might be much smarter to take a HS bat or college arm over him. I don't know.

    There's no right way or wrong way probably. For me, high pick, all things being equal, I'll take the position player. Pitchers have just got so much risk involved, mostly health, and it just seems like you can find good arms after round 1. Maybe Beau Hale, Chris Smith, Wade Townsend, Matt Hobgood, and Adam Loewen are too fresh in my mind.

  14. #14
    LookinUp's Avatar
    LookinUp is offline Plus Member Since 6/08 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bubble
    Posts
    6,040
    Quote Originally Posted by RZNJ View Post
    There's no right way or wrong way probably. For me, high pick, all things being equal, I'll take the position player. Pitchers have just got so much risk involved, mostly health, and it just seems like you can find good arms after round 1. Maybe Beau Hale, Chris Smith, Wade Townsend, Matt Hobgood, and Adam Loewen are too fresh in my mind.
    Billy Rowell and Brandon Snyder? Not fresh enough?

    In all seriousness, I agree, the relative risk of a pitcher needs to be accounted for, particular that risk in the top 5 versus the risk of a hitter busting in the top 5.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lanham, MD
    Posts
    8,261
    Quote Originally Posted by LookinUp View Post
    Billy Rowell and Brandon Snyder? Not fresh enough?

    In all seriousness, I agree, the relative risk of a pitcher needs to be accounted for, particular that risk in the top 5 versus the risk of a hitter busting in the top 5.
    Go back and look at that list of DD's picks. Pitcher/Hitter doesn't matter. MOST are going to bust either way, just try to make your best educated guess and don't get gun-shy because you are scared to miss.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

OriolesHangout.com is an unofficial site and not associated with the Baltimore Orioles and part of Hangout Ventures LLC. Copyright ©2013 | Privacy Policy | Advertise with us