Keith Law's Top 100 Draft Prospects

Here is Law's newest list on ESPN Insider:

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7901275/2012-mlb-draft-byron-buxton-mike-zunino-mark-appel-top-100-2012-draft-prospects

He ranks them on talent and not how he actually thinks they will be drafted necessarily.

Top 5:

1. Buxton

2. Correa

3. Gausman

4. Zunino

5. Fried

Looks like he doesn't think that the draft will go by best player at all as he thinks the top 3 picks will be Buxton, Zimmer and Zunino. Which would be fine with me since we would be picking at 4 with some great players left!

Here is Law's newest list on ESPN Insider:

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7901275/2012-mlb-draft-byron-buxton-mike-zunino-mark-appel-top-100-2012-draft-prospects

He ranks them on talent and not how he actually thinks they will be drafted necessarily.

Top 5:

1. Buxton

2. Correa

3. Gausman

4. Zunino

5. Fried

Looks like he doesn't think that the draft will go by best player at all as he thinks the top 3 picks will be Buxton, Zimmer and Zunino. Which would be fine with me since we would be picking at 4 with some great players left!

I want #2 !!!!!:thumbsup1:

I'm guessing Correa is likely selected before we get the chance. If Buxton and Correa are gone, who do you like at our pick?

I'm writing up a pref list update at Camden Depot for the ESPN SweetSpot network today -- will post around 12pm.

Also, I think Minnesota is pretty locked in on Gausman as of right now (still looking at some others), with Houston and Seattle potentially splitting Correa/Buxton in some form. If Appel finishes strong, I still think he ends up in Houston at 1st overall.

Also of interest

Appel #6. States his overwork as main reason why he dropped which goes against his "Evaluating talent only not team needs" since he also stated that scared a ton of top teams off

Giolito #9. Says he had the most minor of elbow injuries and could very well go #1.

Wacha #16. Great frame but doesn't have a solid breaking ball yet but his change is a major league out pitch.

I would argue that our record has got nothing to do with starting pitchers drafted with high picks. Sure, if the right guy was there but to draft pitching just to draft pitching?

You must have missed where I said "All things equal."

All I'm saying is with similar level talent, I'll take the pitcher.

This might not be smart for Giolito. Someone smarter than me has to make some assessment about his physical risk. It might be much smarter to take a HS bat or college arm over him. I don't know.

There's no right way or wrong way probably. For me, high pick, all things being equal, I'll take the position player. Pitchers have just got so much risk involved, mostly health, and it just seems like you can find good arms after round 1. Maybe Beau Hale, Chris Smith, Wade Townsend, Matt Hobgood, and Adam Loewen are too fresh in my mind.

Billy Rowell and Brandon Snyder? Not fresh enough? :)

In all seriousness, I agree, the relative risk of a pitcher needs to be accounted for, particular that risk in the top 5 versus the risk of a hitter busting in the top 5.

In all seriousness, I agree, the relative risk of a pitcher needs to be accounted for, particular that risk in the top 5 versus the risk of a hitter busting in the top 5.

Go back and look at that list of DD's picks. Pitcher/Hitter doesn't matter. MOST are going to bust either way, just try to make your best educated guess and don't get gun-shy because you are scared to miss.

Brandon Snyder should be fresh in everyone's memories after that 6 RBI game he mashed out earlier this week against Orioles top 5 pick pitcher Brian Matusz. :D

Archived