+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Can_of_corn View Post
    Mark and Matt both have the capability to carry an offense if they get hot. That is more important then Jake returning to form.
    I can't agree w this. This team flat wins when it gets a good sp performance. W Hammel and Chen slowing down, somebody needs to step up. Matusz has so far. Hunter's down. Britton isn't ready yet. That leaves Arrieta. And he just hasn't gotten it done.

Lucky Jim is offline Plus Member since 12/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
    Did I say one start? Or getting his act together, which implies more to me than that?

I could say the same thing about Weiters getting "hot." He's hit this year like he always has; one 2-3 isn't going to change a lot in the grand scheme of things.
    Except that, right now, our offense needs the productivity from Wieters (and Reynolds) even though we know they're inconsistent. That still means a likely run over a period of time as we head into a difficult part of the schedule. Would be huge.

For Arrieta, one start would have done very little for us. If it's not predictive of future value (i.e., next several starts) than - as I said - I'll trade signs of Reynolds and Wieters getting hot for it.

Can_of_corn is online now Plus Member since 12/09 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by playbaltimorecom View Post
    Huh? I don't agree with that at all.

Jake needs to go to AAA for a while, I believe we will be seeing Tillman very soon.
    I will take Mark and Matt being 900 OPS guys here on out over Jake getting it together. Jake only pitches, at most, once every five games and the O's have other options. The O's don't have anyone else to throw out there if Matt puts up a 600 OPS. Mark is also important, remember he led the team in OPS last season and with Nolan and Nick hurt the O's need all the offense they can muster.

If you haven't noticed the O's are starting to lose games in which they have quality starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Jim View Post
    Except that, right now, our offense needs the productivity from Wieters (and Reynolds) even though we know they're inconsistent. That still means a likely run over a period of time as we head into a difficult part of the schedule. Would be huge.

For Arrieta, one start would have done very little for us.
    Right now, we need out starters to pitch well too. It's a silly argument to have so I'll leave it. It is my opinion that this team will go as far as the SP will take them. So I'd prefer to see that starters doing well, than Weiters getting out of his slump if I had to choose one or the other.

I will take Mark and Matt being 900 OPS guys here on out over Jake getting it together. Jake only pitches, at most, once every five games and the O's have other options. The O's don't have anyone else to throw out there if Matt puts up a 600 OPS. Mark is also important, remember he led the team in OPS last season and with Nolan and Nick hurt the O's need all the offense they can muster.

If you haven't noticed the O's are starting to lose games in which they have quality starts.
    Who do they have to replace Arrieta w if he continues to pitch to a 6 ERA?

Not a lot that engenders confidence.

BTW, it takes some seriously rosy-colored glasses to believe that Wieters, and to a slightly lesser extent Reynolds, can carry an OPS over 900 from here on out.

Jake needs AAA time. Or convert to a future closer.

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Talk about hijacking a thread! This is about Reynolds, guys. And he's been looking good every since he arrived at Fenway Park on May 4. Too bad he had that DL stint in between then and now. Let's hope he gets red hot, because we need his offense right now.

Can_of_corn is online now Plus Member since 12/09 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

BTW, it takes some seriously rosy-colored glasses to believe that Wieters, and to a slightly lesser extent Reynolds, can carry an OPS over 900 from here on out.
    Reynolds put up an 892, for the year, in '09.

Lucky Jim is offline Plus Member since 12/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Frobby View Post
    Talk about hijacking a thread! This is about Reynolds, guys. And he's been looking good every since he arrived at Fenway Park on May 4. Too bad he had that DL stint in between then and now. Let's hope he gets red hot, because we need his offense right now more than we need a good start from Arrieta.
    FIFY.

I kid. (Seriously. My point was peripheral. Sorry it hijacked.)

OFFNY is offline Plus Member since 3/11 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Talk about hijacking a thread! This is about Reynolds, guys. And he's been looking good every since he arrived at Fenway Park on May 4. Too bad he had that DL stint in between then and now. Let's hope he gets red hot, because we need his offense right now.
    My bad, Frank.

MARK REYNOLDS IS SEEING THE BALL BETTER . o

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    For that matter, he had an .875 OPS from June 4 until the end of the season last year.

Reynolds is so fun to watch when he's seeing the ball. It's all drama.

And he hasn't come close since. I mean, it could happen, that's why I said to a lesser extent, but it's pretty unlikely imo. About as unlikely as Arrieta putting up a 3 era from here on out, which would be HUGE for this team.

But to the point of the thread, Reynolds has been hitting since April. And that is big for this team. Let's hope he has a June like he did last year.

For that matter, he had an .875 OPS from June 4 until the end of the season last year.
    True, it was easier to find the season total tho.

His ERA is almost 8 in the past 8 starts I think I saw somewhere...