+ Reply to Thread
    Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

HHP: Duquette's offensive acquisitions: .243/.306/.381, but they aren't the problem

I am including the following players who Duquette brought in (in descending order by number of at bats): Betemit, Chavez, Flaherty, Johnson, Pearce, Paulino, Tolleson, Thome, Exposito and Hall. Together they have 691 at bats, 775 plate appearances and have hit .243/.306/.381. That compares to the team line of .240/.302/.402.

For what it's worth, the players we replaced from last year's roster (Vlad, Lee, Scott, Pie, Tatum, Fox, Izturis, Snyder, Florimon, Angle, Bell and Hudson) had an OBP of about .294 and an OPS of about .655 last season, in 1,777 plate appearances. So, I guess you can say that the players Duquette added have performed better than the guys they replaced

On the other hand, the players who remain from last year's team had a .319 OBP and a .759 OPS last season. So far this year they have an OBP of .301 and an OPS of .709.

So, for this year's team to improve its offensive performance in the second half, it's mostly the "incumbent" players who need to pick up the pace.

---

Note - in doing these calculations, I included in the 2011 "incumbent" figures any position players who are still with the organization, whether or not they have appeared in the majors this year (e.g., Ryan Adams), and I included in the 2012 "incumbent" figures any position players who were in the organization last year even if they did not appear in the majors last year (e.g., Xavier Avery). I also did not make any adjustments to account for the pitchers who have come and gone and may have had a few at bats.
    Last edited by Frobby; 07-12-2012 at 02:19 PM.

I'm really perplexed by this offense right now. It's entirely possible that they could come out of the break and go bonkers for two weeks, but I thought this lineup was going to be something to rely on all year. It's been a major disappointment, but still a huge reason why we might end up with the wild card. Our pitching doesn't look so bad recently if we are scoring runs.

Interesting how Duquette's acquisitions compare to MacPhail's the year before. Of course, none of those players brought in by Duquette this year were supposed to be full-time players while guys like Guerrero and Derek Lee were.

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-OH View Post
    Interesting how Duquette's acquisitions compare to MacPhail's the year before. Of course, none of those players brought in by Duquette this year were supposed to be full-time players while guys like Guerrero and Derek Lee were.
    Just to be clear, my comparison was between Duquette's acquisitions and the players who left during 2011, whether those players were acquired by MacPhail last year or otherwise. It would be interesting to do the same exercise looking at MacPhail's 2011 acquisitions regardless of whether they left by the end of the year (Lee and Vlad) or are still here (Hardy and Reynolds).