+ Reply to Thread
    OStrohNattyBoh is offline Plus Member since 3/14 Major Leagues Reputation Reputation

Three Way Tie for Wild Card Scenario

So, I know we're still far away from getting too excited about the playoffs, but looking at the standing today made me think, what will happen if the season ended with a 3 or 4 team tie for the Wild Card spot?

Is there somewhere online that goes through the tiebreaker scenarios? I know in some sports they take head-to-head in consideration, or win percentage against conference/divisional opponents. Or are their playoff games to get to the one game playoff game?

With all the changes to the Postseason, I didnt know if anyone knew how it broke down.

Quote Originally Posted by OStrohNattyBoh View Post
    So, I know we're still far away from getting too excited about the playoffs, but looking at the standing today made me think, what will happen if the season ended with a 3 or 4 team tie for the Wild Card spot?

Is there somewhere online that goes through the tiebreaker scenarios? I know in some sports they take head-to-head in consideration, or win percentage against conference/divisional opponents. Or are their playoff games to get to the one game playoff game?

With all the changes to the Postseason, I didnt know if anyone knew how it broke down.
    In the past they played a 1 game playoff, when ties occurred in the Wild Card, so it looks like they will just have to have a huge round robin pool play style format taking the top two teams.

In all seriousness though, I have been wondering this same thing, my guess would be record vs AL opponents?

I was curious about this yesterday and found some info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_L...ing_procedures

It's wikipedia and possibly not super accurate, but it explained things a little for me.

There would be a playoff game to reach the playoff game. No team can be eliminated by a tie-breaker.

Frobby is online now Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by BmoreMatt View Post

It's wikipedia and possibly not super accurate, but it explained things a little for me.
    Just reading that entry, the number of scenarios that are laid out is hilarious. There will be absolute havoc if there is a three-way tie for the second wild card. God, I hope that happens!

DrungoHazewood is offline Hangout Contributor Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Gomez View Post
    There would be a playoff game to reach the playoff game. No team can be eliminated by a tie-breaker.
    Weird. I swear I remember there being a tie breaker, and it involving the various teams in an American Gladiators type competition.

canonfaz is offline Plus Member Since December 2010 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Frobby View Post
    Just reading that entry, the number of scenarios that are laid out is hilarious. There will be absolute havoc if there is a three-way tie for the second wild card. God, I hope that happens!
    Me too. Orioles win the division and the Angels, Rays, and Tigers have a three way tie for the wild card!

andrewochs615 is offline Plus Member since 07/11 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by BmoreMatt View Post

Man this is confusing, so if the season ended right now, what would happen?

Orioles, Tigers, and A's all tied for wild card.

vab is offline Plus Member Since 4/04 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    It should just be the team with the 2nd best record vs the other two and the team with the best record vs the other two play the one game playoff. The 3rd team is out. A playoff game to get to a playoff game to get to a playoff series is too much.

DrungoHazewood is offline Hangout Contributor Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewochs615 View Post
    Man this is confusing, so if the season ended right now, what would happen?

Orioles, Tigers, and A's all tied for wild card.

It does list tie breakers for division champs (three way)

Three-way ties between division winners

If there is a three-way tie among all division champions, the team with the best record against both of the other division champion is given the top seed with the remaining teams seeded as follows:

Best record in games against own division.
    Best overall record in the regular season ignoring interleague play.
    The team with the best record in the final 81 games of the season, ignoring interleague play.
    The team with the best record in the final 82 games of the season, extending backward until the tie is broken (since teams in the same division play each other as much as 19 times, this step is guaranteed to break the tie, with interleague games skipped and ignored in this process.)

If neither team has a better record against the other teams, immediately go to above tiebreaker.

I wonder if this would also apply for a three way tie for the wildcard?

orayole is offline Plus Member Since 4/08 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Frobby View Post
    All this time, Frobby is really an anarchist! Who knew?

I've been curious about this all year because the more rounds you have in the playoffs the more unwieldy the scenarios become. I'm with Frobby. I hope it happens.

I also think, that much like the NFL, this can add to the importance of the regular season. In the NFL the issue is home field; in baseball, it will be avoiding the play-in game.