+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    elextrano8 is offline Plus Member Since 12/03 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by tntoriole View Post
    As someone who has seen many great third baseman play, including Clete Boyer, Mike Schmidt, etc. let me just say that Adrian Beltre is a fine third baseman, but, paraphrasing a vice presidential debate response years ago " I knew Brooks Robinson, and Adrian, you are no Brooks Robinson."
    And what I posted supports the assertion that Brooks was better defensively than Beltre. And Brooks also kept it up for another seven seasons beyond the stats I posted. But maybe, just maybe, Cal's comment wasn't as blasphemous as so many make it out to be.

I purposely refrained from posting in this thread while drunk last night. Now that it's morning and I'm only hungover, I can view this a little more objectively.

I think we all were going into this with unrealistic expectations. That is to say, it's the first O's playoff game in 15 years and we've got our guy in the booth! Then when he wasn't a homer and was instead a little more professional, we all got our feelings hurt. I am not excluding myself from this, and in fact I'm explaining how I felt and maybe some of you did too.

I really do believe that Cal decided to err on the side of caution and make the statement so he could be viewed as un biased and objective for the rest of the game. I don't think the two players are as far apart as most people here seem to, but I would give the edge to Brooks.

tntoriole is offline Plus Member Since 7/12 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Perhaps not blasphemous, but just wrong and also using the iconic reputation of Brooks simply to try to show a national audience how "unbiased" an analyst he is. A few more stats....Brooks .971 lifetime fielding percentage, Beltre .957 lifetime...Brooks 16 Gold Gloves, Adrian Beltre 3. But the key difference is that Beltre has played in a television era where every play that is slightly more than routine gets touted on ESPN, Sports Center, MLB network, 24/7 media. Brooks made plays that were beyond belief on a nightly basis as did third baseman like Clete Boyer but they were never captured on TV. Hard to believe that there is an Orioles thread having to DEFEND Brooks Robinson as the best third baseman of all time, but hey. Repeat after me...."Brooks Robinson was the best defensive third baseman of all time." period, end of story and hopefully end of thread.

RZNJ is offline Plus member Since 04/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation
    1. Cal was a little kid when Brooks was in his prime.
    2. Cal is entitled to his opinion.
    3. People on here always question the defensive stats when they don't support our guys (Markakis in RF, Jones in CF, Reynolds at 1B) and take them as gospel when they do support our guys.
    4. Perhaps Cal was trying to show that he didn't have a Baltimore bias but I doubt he says it unless he really believes it.
    5. I have no problem with Cal saying something he truly believes. It doesn't mean he's right.

tntoriole is offline Plus Member Since 7/12 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Cal would have a hard time on this board with that particular opinion...lol. But we love him anyway. But AIN'T THE BEER, COLD?!!! and GO TO WAR, MISS AGNES!!! Playoffs and MFYs, here we come!!!

Grace and class= Brooks Robinson.I can understand the uproar,given this was our biggest night in the national spotlight in 15 years,and one of our own disses,yes,disses a Baltimore icon,er, the Baltimore icon.If Brooks were in the booth this Sunday,I doubt he would directly compare Cal to Derek Jeter.Why?Grace and class.Let's hope Cal keeps his opinion of Mark Tbag and Eddie Murray to himself!Of course he has a right to his opinion,but my gosh,some things are better left unsaid.To many,Brooks IS Mr. Oriole.Do the Rangers view Adrian Beltre as Mr. Ranger?Come on Cal!

DixieBird Lurkers
    Human Vacuum Cleaner...nuff said. Cal was WRONG!

elextrano8 is offline Plus Member Since 12/03 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Repeat after me...."Brooks Robinson was the best defensive third baseman of all time."
    I believe that Brooks Robinson was one of, if not the, greatest defensive third baseman of all time. For me, it is an important distinction. I love Brooks, and don't deny him any of his accomplishments, but I also want to avoid hyperbole. Hell, I don't think I ever even agreed with Cal's statement. I don't think Beltre is better than Brooks in any way, but neither do I think Cal was pandering - I think he was offering his opinion, which (unfortunately for him) happened to go against the Brooks hagiography.

Quote Originally Posted by elextrano8 View Post
    I believe that Brooks Robinson was one of, if not the, greatest defensive third baseman of all time. For me, it is an important distinction. I love Brooks, and don't deny him any of his accomplishments, but I also want to avoid hyperbole. Hell, I don't think I ever even agreed with Cal's statement. I don't think Beltre is better than Brooks in any way, but neither do I think Cal was pandering - I think he was offering his opinion, which (unfortunately for him) happened to go against the Brooks hagiography.
    It then begs the question. Who do you believe to be the greatest defensive third baseman of all time? Not "one of", but "the greatest."? Opinions are just opinions. There is no way of establishing factually who the "greatest" is, because "great" is a subjective, experiential term for each individual. If Cal believes in his heart that Adrian Beltre was the greatest third baseman of all time, he is entitled to his opinion. I have a different one.

I don't know why everyone is so upset. Didn't you see the broadcast? It was CARL Ripken that made that statement.

Seriously though, he just got caught up in the moment. Most announcers do that. The thing they just saw is the greatest thing ever. It's no big deal.

It then begs the question. Who do you believe to be the greatest defensive third baseman of all time? Not "one of", but "the greatest."? Opinions are just opinions. There is no way of establishing factually who the "greatest" is, because "great" is a subjective, experiential term for each individual. If Cal believes in his heart that Adrian Beltre was the greatest third baseman of all time, he is entitled to his opinion. I have a different one.
    I don't know who the best/greatest defensive third baseman of all time is, because of the reasons you cite.

Until I opened this thread, I honestly thought that it was Billy Ripken on TV last night, not Cal

Quote Originally Posted by NewOwnerNeeded View Post
    I don't know why everyone is so upset. Didn't you see the broadcast? It was CARL Ripken that made that statement.

Seriously though, he just got caught up in the moment. Most announcers do that. The thing they just saw is the greatest thing ever. It's no big deal.
    Ha, Ha. The evil twin theory. I like it. I might be willing to chalk it up to that, except, Cal has always seemed to be one of the most detail oriented, plan ahead type of guys in terms of public speaking. It did not seem like an unplanned, spontaneous comment to me but one that was thought about ahead of time. But, you are right, it is NOTHING to blow a gasket about. I love Cal, I love Brooks...Go Os!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Three Run Homer View Post
    Until I opened this thread, I honestly thought that it was Billy Ripken on TV last night, not Cal
    I knew it was Cal because I had read about it before hand, but I will admit to double checking in about the second or third inning because they sound so similar!

Quote Originally Posted by elextrano8 View Post
    I don't know who the best/greatest defensive third baseman of all time is, because of the reasons you cite.
    Yes, you do. And deep in his heart, Cal does too. It's OK to say it. Shout it OUT LOUD! It's BROOOOOOOOOOKS!!! lol.