2012: Grade the Player Exercise

Tony-OH

Like last year, here is your chance to grade out and discuss each player on the roster for 2012. The grades should be given in consideration to the player's role, and not necessarily the players worth. In other words, Troy Patton could grade out higher than Wei-Yin Chen even though Chen was a more valuable pitcher but Patton may have more effective in his role.

This is a great place to posts stats, highlights and anything and will give us a good record to look back on in the future. Due to the late start, I will post three players a day and give each player two weeks to be voted on.

Graded Players: (Grades as of Oct 29)

Robert Andino - D

Jake Arrieta - D

Luis Ayala - B

Wilson Betemit - C

Zach Britton - D

Endy Chavez

Wei-Yin Chen - B

Chris Davis

Miguel Gonzalez - A

Kevin Gregg - F

Jason Hammel - B

JJ Hardy - C

Tommy Hunter - C

Jim Johnson - A

Steve Johnson - A

Adam Jones - B

Matt Lindstrom

Manny Machado - A

Nick Markakis - B

Brian Matusz - C

Nate McLouth B/A

Darren O'Day - A

Troy Patton - B

Mark Reynolds - C

Joe Saunders - B

Pedro Strop - B

Chris Tillman - B

Matt Wieters - B

A

Miguel Gonzalez

Jim Johnson

Steve Johnson

Manny Machado

Darren O'Day

Nate McLouth

B

Luis Ayala

Wei-Yin Chen

Chris Davis

Jason Hammel

Adam Jones

Matt Lindstrom

Nick Markakis

Troy Patton

Joe Saunders

Pedro Strop

Chris Tillman

Matt Wieters

C

Wilson Betemit

JJ Hardy

Tommy Hunter

Brian Matusz

Mark Reynolds

D

Robert Andino

Jake Arrieta

Zach Britton

F

Endy Chavez

Kevin Gregg

This is a great place to posts stats, highlights and anything and will give us a good record to look back on in the future. Due to the late start, I will post three players a day and give each player two weeks to be voted on.

I'm fine with a late start. Hopefully we start this sometime in November next year! :)

Like last year, here is your chance to grade out and discuss each player on the roster for 2012. The grades should be given in consideration to the player's role, and not necessarily the players worth. In other words, Troy Patton could grade out higher than Wei-Yin Chen even though Chen was a more valuable pitcher but Patton may have more effective in his role.

Graded Players:

Jason Hammel

Jim Johnson

Adam Jones

Thanks, great tradition.

• 3 weeks later...

Grading Breakdown:

A

Miguel Gonzalez

Jim Johnson

Steve Johnson

Manny Machado

Darren O'Day

Nate McLouth

B

Luis Ayala

Wei-Yin Chen

Chris Davis

Jason Hammel

Adam Jones

Matt Lindstrom

Nick Markakis

Troy Patton

Joe Saunders

Pedro Strop

Chris Tillman

Matt Wieters

C

Wilson Betemit

JJ Hardy

Tommy Hunter

Brian Matusz

Mark Reynolds

D

Robert Andino

Jake Arrieta

Zach Britton

F

Endy Chavez

Kevin Gregg

As I said in multiple polling threads, I'm very shocked that only 2 of the core 5 relievers (JJ, O'Day, Strop, Ayala, Patton) got A's. In my mind, the bullpen's consistency was the number one contributing factor to the team's success in 2012 and I gave all 5 relievers with 50+ inning a grade of A in the polls. The bullpen wasn't great because of 2 men... it was great because of the consistency of all 5 plus a few others who chipped in when necessary.

Archived