+ Reply to Thread
    AZOriole is offline Plus Member Since December 2008 Reputation Reputation

O's in the AZ Fall League

I took the day off from work yesterday to head to an Arizona Fall League game (one of the benefits of suffering through the hot summers out here is having baseball going on through November, and kicking off again in February). Mike Belfiore was the only O's pitcher that was used yesterday. LJ Hoes played RF (and gunned down a runner at the plate, which was pretty impressive), and Jonathan Schoop played 3B, and handled his chances routinely. Both guys looked pretty good at the plate.
    The thing I noticed with Hoes is that he routinely went the other way with the pitch, which is a nice thing to see with a young hitter. And Schoop looks bigger than 6'1", though I'm hardly an expert on judging people's height/weight.
    Here's a link to the MLB.com recap from the game yesterday: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_det&c_id=det

I took a few pictures there as well, and figured I'd share them with the OH. Enjoy!

Mike Belfiore:

Various Hoes/Schoop pics:

Last edited by AZOriole; 10-27-2012 at 10:58 AM.

This is great. I would love to get any other photos or tidbits that you find.

Woody Held is offline Plus Members since 3/14 Major Leagues Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I've always thought to vacation out there and catch some of the fall league games, and squeeze some golf also. Maybe next year

Swing hard,just in case you hit something

Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    This is great. I would love to get any other photos or tidbits that you find.
    I'll be heading to another game sometime next week. One kind of cool thing (for me anyway) was Schoop searching me out in the stands and giving me a smile after I said "Let's go Schoop! NO pressure!" after Westlake's HR right before him.

That's one of the great things about the AFL - you can hear EVERYTHING. While sitting behind Mesa's dugout, I listened in to Brian Harper's preferences on Oakley sunglasses when he was talking to Astros prospect George Springer, who was having trouble with the sun (the preference is the tint shouldn't be too dark, since it makes picking up the ball more difficult). Anyway, if you're a baseball fan and ever have the chance to go, it's well worth it. Paid attendance announced yesterday was somewhere in the 400s. And that's being very generous.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Held View Post
    I've always thought to vacation out there and catch some of the fall league games, and squeeze some golf also. Maybe next year

Swing hard,just in case you hit something
    It's well worth it. 7 bucks to get in, and it's general admission. The beer was more expensive. And as you can see from the pictures, finding a great seat is easy.

LOVE the AZ Fall League. Usually try to get to a game per week, plus the championship game, but I was so wrapped up in the Orioles playoff run, this past Thursday was my first game this year. Solar Sox (O's) vs. Javelinas. Got to see Brian Ward behind the plate, he looks pretty scrappy back there, but he did have a PB. Went 1-3 with a base hit. Also got to see Chris Petrini and Clay Schrader in relief rolls.