+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jonathan Schoop #3 Prospect

You can build a case for a couple other guys, but Schoop ultimate ceiling despite some disagreements between scouts gives him the nod at number 3.

http://www.orioleshangout.com/articl...couting-report

NCRaven is offline Plus Member since 11/05 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    High ceiling and has already reached AA at a young age. Wonder if he starts the season back in Bowie or advances to Norfolk? And, could he see Baltimore by September. Does he move Manny back to short and take over 3rd? Or, does he become the heir apparent at 2B? Lots of questions. But most of the good ones.

RZNJ is offline Plus member Since 04/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    It was reported that Schoop played the season with tendinitis in both knees. Any chance that was a factor in his defense and baserunning? He was definitely rested more than Machado was.

Does anyone think Schoop will project long term as a 2nd baseman? A lot of what i'm reading now is he has been playing a large sample of 3rd base. How does he compare to a Howie Kendrick? Does he have a higher upside?

From what I've read and the little I have seen of him, he has a huge ceiling and has great power. I think he just turned 21 and he hit 14 hrs in AA last year. His bat speed is ridiculous and once he learns the strike zone better and how to hit breaking balls he will hit for more for avg.

He played a lot second base last year in the minors but I think he projects best at third since he has a cannon. However, with our lack of second basemen and a couple third basemen prospects in our system, he could find a home at second. I think how he does in spring training will determine whether he starts next year at AA or AAA. If he makes the proper improvements or if he is needed mid year, I wouldn't be surprised to see him coming up and playing second some time next season.

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    This report is a splash of cold water. Sounds like Schoop has more flaws and limitations than I'd realized, and is further away from being major league ready than I'd hoped. Sigh.

Keith Law is certainly a fan.

Brendan25 is offline Plus Member since 10/11 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I personally don't care about Schoops power. I care about him becoming an above average defender somewhere, and his OBP. He is still very young, but anyone that thinks that Schoop can be our everyday 2B next season is really wishing hard. He is a guy DD is looking at in 2014 I think. At least one more year in the minors.

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan25 View Post
    I personally don't care about Schoops power. I care about him becoming an above average defender somewhere, and his OBP. He is still very young, but anyone that thinks that Schoop can be our everyday 2B next season is really wishing hard. He is a guy DD is looking at in 2014 I think. At least one more year in the minors.
    Without a doubt Schoop will spend most of 2013 in the minors. If he does well and we continue to have struggles at 2B, I could see him getting called up in early August, as Machado was last year. Hopefully, 2B settles down a little and we can be more patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobby View Post
    Without a doubt Schoop will spend most of 2013 in the minors. If he does well and we continue to have struggles at 2B, I could see him getting called up in early August, as Machado was last year. Hopefully, 2B settles down a little and we can be more patient.
    This is pretty much the best case scenario minus any amazing jumps or major injuries next spring. Seems that most scouts don't think Schoop will be able to stay at second base long term, but it might be ok over there as long as Flaherty-type defense is ok. I haven't seen Schoop enough at 2B to make a full-opinion but he does seem to have limited lateral quickness which hurts at second base and SS and he's going to continue to fill out. The big thing is whether he can make the adjustments and whether his power will continue to grow. If he ends up a 25-30 home run guy, he's probably at 3B.

RZNJ is offline Plus member Since 04/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    As always, take AFL stats with a grain of salt but Schoop seems to be making a concerted effort to work the count so far. In 20 games he has 16 walks and 15 strikeouts and a .910 OPS which is top ten in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-OH View Post
    This is pretty much the best case scenario minus any amazing jumps or major injuries next spring. Seems that most scouts don't think Schoop will be able to stay at second base long term, but it might be ok over there as long as Flaherty-type defense is ok. I haven't seen Schoop enough at 2B to make a full-opinion but he does seem to have limited lateral quickness which hurts at second base and SS and he's going to continue to fill out. The big thing is whether he can make the adjustments and whether his power will continue to grow. If he ends up a 25-30 home run guy, he's probably at 3B.
    The bolded part was disapointing for me to hear, as I had hoped for Machado and Schoop to be our version of Trammel and Whitaker, eventually.

This comes from the MLB.com article that was posted in the MiL forum:

Solar Sox manager Rodney Linares looks at him as a kid with unlimited potential.

"Schoop is one of those high-ceiling guys," said Linares. "He's really young, and you can tell at times, but ability-wise he's up there. He's got good soft hands; big, strong kid. He's driving the ball, the ball jumps off his bat. I really like Schoop."

Schoop's talent in the field would seem to bolster his chances of being kept at shortstop, but Linares sees him as more of a third baseman because of his power at the plate.

"He's got a good, strong arm, and again, he's so young, but at the same time, he's so mature as a ballplayer," Linares said. "He only needs at-bats and repetition in the Minor Leagues, and he'll eventually get to the big leagues in the next year or so."
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_bal&c_id=bal

Linares' "good soft hands" comment seems at odds with some of the scouts you talked to. Still, it sounds like Schoop is destined for 3B, not 2B.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobby View Post
    The bolded part was disapointing for me to hear, as I had hoped for Machado and Schoop to be our version of Trammel and Whitaker, eventually.

This comes from the MLB.com article that was posted in the MiL forum:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_bal&c_id=bal

Linares' "good soft hands" comment seems at odds with some of the scouts you talked to. Still, it sounds like Schoop is destined for 3B, not 2B.
    Personally, I don't think his hands are that soft and in fact I'd say they are little stiff at times. He's got plenty of arm and even though some scouts don't think he'll stay at second base, I doubt many would have said Dan Uggla or Jeff Kent would be able to stay either. I'd keep him at second until he proved he can't play the position effectively because if he can fulfill his potential with the bat, he'll provide enough positives to overcome any lack of range.

Not to sidetrack the discussion, but if Schoop is in the Uggla category at 2B, he should switch positions now. I'm a Braves fan, and - having no idea what the stats say and just relying on my eyes - Uggla is the worst defensive 2Bman I've ever seen in the majors - and his defensive miscues contributed heavily to many Braves losses.

Bowie's manager Gary Kendall gave a lengthy assessment of Schoop to Steve Melewksi today. A couple of snippets:

"All year, our coaches were working with Jonathan on his stride and getting his foot down ready to hit," Kendall said. "Sometimes he was rushing mechanically to get his bat through the zone when the pitch comes. Even in instructional league, his timing was a little off. Sometimes that causes too many swings and misses. Whatever level he is at next year, that is something that needs to be addressed. He needs to put the ball in play more. You need to get that foot down early enough to have time to be prepared to hit."

"There is no question that when Jonathan's timing is right, he drives the ball as well as anyone in our minor leagues. He's got serious pop, the ball comes off his bat. But it's about putting it in play more. He doesn't get a fastball down the middle blown by him, but sometimes he chases that fastball out of the zone. I think this will be a big year for him in terms of strike zone knowledge wherever he plays."

"This guys turns a double play as good as anyone I've seen," Kendall said. "He's got a quick transfer and has plenty on the ball. Going left and right, he needs some work a little bit and he needs more lower body strength and flexibility. I think he has enough arm to play anywhere in the infield to help the Orioles. He catches the ball and executes. His hands are soft and quick. He doesn't have any fears defensively and he's really got a good baseball aptitude.

"The greatest praise I can have for him is the guy shows up every day with a smile on his face and wants to work hard. Every day. I think he had a pretty solid year."
    http://www.masnsports.com/steve_mele...-belfiore.html