+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nick Delmonico #4 prospect

Again, upside gets the nod over more mature prospects but Delmonico still has a nice ceiling.

http://www.orioleshangout.com/articl...couting-report

Good stuff, Tony. I like the first half/pre-injury stats. Delmonico seems like a pretty solid prospect.

Updating my plus membership tomorrow for this list!

RavNMadMan is offline Plus Member since 8/11 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Interesting prospect for sure. If he continues to develop and eventually lands in the bigs at 3B, that could coincide with the end of Hardy's contract. Manny moves to SS, Delmonico at third....interesting

Brendan25 is offline Plus Member since 10/11 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I've seen some of Nicky. My one concern, and it's in your writeup, is his swing getting too long and him turning into Wieters who just rolls over on everything. The kid is going to grow, and mature. HE is still a long ways away from the majors, and I think he knows that. Very raw, a ton of talent and potential. If he works hard I like where he could be.

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    It's a shame that we didn't put him at 3B last year, because Esposito was there. Esposito had a terrible year and is about as close to washing out as a prospect after only one year as any no. 2 pick I can remember. This year we should put Delmonico at 3B at Frederick and I guess Esposito has to repeat Delmarva as a 22-year old, sad as that seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobby View Post
    It's a shame that we didn't put him at 3B last year, because Esposito was there. Esposito had a terrible year and is about as close to washing out as a prospect after only one year as any no. 2 pick I can remember. This year we should put Delmonico at 3B at Frederick and I guess Esposito has to repeat Delmarva as a 22-year old, sad as that seems.
    I think the original plan was for Esposito to start at Delmarva and move to Frederick by mid-May and open up third base for Delmonico. Esposito's struggles nixed that and instead, they decided to give Delmonico a shot at 2B even though most didn't think he fit there. He showed that he definitely did not fit there and he went back to 1B, but I'm guessing he ends up at 3B next year at Frederick. Esposito played his way right out of being a guy so he'll need to make major improvements everywhere in his game to be given a spot from here on out.

Frobby is offline Hangout Blogger Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-OH View Post
    I think the original plan was for Esposito to start at Delmarva and move to Frederick by mid-May and open up third base for Delmonico. Esposito's struggles nixed that and instead, they decided to give Delmonico a shot at 2B even though most didn't think he fit there. He showed that he definitely did not fit there and he went back to 1B, but I'm guessing he ends up at 3B next year at Frederick. Esposito played his way right out of being a guy so he'll need to make major improvements everywhere in his game to be given a spot from here on out.
    I don't want to divert this thread from Delmonico, but what the heck happened with Esposito? Did Jordan really miss that badly? I really have to wonder if he had his head screwed on straight in 2012.

I don't want to divert this thread from Delmonico, but what the heck happened with Esposito? Did Jordan really miss that badly? I really have to wonder if he had his head screwed on straight in 2012.
    All I can say is that other scouts said he had a slider speed bat. Jordan and his scouts disagreed and said it was because his coaches wanted him to go the other way more and that professional coaching will help him. Esposito then went about in 2012 making every scout that said he had a slider bat look smart after striking out a ton, and hitting for no power or average. Add in a disappointing year defensively, and the only college 2nd round pick who was worse right away was Cecil Whitehead (1978) who washed after just a rookie year in Bluefield and then a few games in low-A ball. No idea what the story is on him, but Esposito's failures after being a 2nd round college pick has no equal in the history of Orioles drafting. I mean, this is a guy who held out all summer last year because he thought he was a first round talent. That makes me think, he can't possibly be that bad can he? Maybe we'll find out something was bothering him, but he needs to pick it up big time next year or he will quickly be given the bust tag and he will be done.

SoBo is offline Plus Member Since 12/2007 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    That makes me think, he can't possibly be that bad can he? Maybe we'll find out something was bothering him, but he needs to pick it up big time next year or he will quickly be given the bust tag and he will be done.
    Or maybe he knew he wasn't close to a first round pick and needed to hold out for every dime he could get.

Walker

I've followed Christian Walker thru his college career in the SEC and know what kind of damage this kid can do. The scouts have definitly under rated his power potential, and he always seems to come up big in the clutch.If he puts good numbersearly do you think he can make it thru to Fredrick by mid season? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1straker View Post
    I've followed Christian Walker thru his college career in the SEC and know what kind of damage this kid can do. The scouts have definitly under rated his power potential, and he always seems to come up big in the clutch.If he puts good numbersearly do you think he can make it thru to Fredrick by mid season? Thanks
    Certainly. First step is for him to get and stay healthy since he missed time late in the year and through instructional league with a back injury. I could see him following a fast track if he gets off to a hot start, mainly because he doesn't have too much competition ahead of him. I think the Orioles may try Delmonico at 3B this year so I could see him starting at Frederick at 3B with Ohlman possibly moving to first base. Walker could start at Delmarva but a quick start could see him moved to Frederick with Ohlman possibly being given a shot in the outfield or back behind the dish. If he really tears it up, I could see him finishing the year in AA. I'm looking forward to watching him play this year.

Certainly. First step is for him to get and stay healthy since he missed time late in the year and through instructional league with a back injury. I could see him following a fast track if he gets off to a hot start, mainly because he doesn't have too much competition ahead of him. I think the Orioles may try Delmonico at 3B this year so I could see him starting at Frederick at 3B with Ohlman possibly moving to first base. Walker could start at Delmarva but a quick start could see him moved to Frederick with Ohlman possibly being given a shot in the outfield or back behind the dish. If he really tears it up, I could see him finishing the year in AA. I'm looking forward to watching him play this year.
    I hope you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by 1straker View Post
    Walker (4th round 2012) is interesting to me in the same way that Trent Mummey (4th round 2010) and Tyler Townsend (3rd round 2009) were once interesting to me in the past. It would be nice for one of these college bats drafted in rounds 2-5 to come through once in a while.

Walker (4th round 2012) is interesting to me in the same way that Trent Mummey (4th round 2010) and Tyler Townsend (3rd round 2009) were once interesting to me in the past. It would be nice for one of these college bats drafted in rounds 2-5 to come through once in a while.
    There is no doubt the Orioles have struggled to find any kind of productive major league bats after the second round. The numbers are almost flabbergasting. You would think they would have at least lucked into one at some point. Hopefully guys like Hoes, Delmonico and Walker can break that string.