Eduardo A. Encina says the O's will dangle Tillman- Winter Meetings

wildcard

That is just wrong. If the O's want to contend in 2013 they don't have the depth of decent starting pitching to trade Tillman for a MOO bat. The only decent starters they have to open the season with are Hammel, Chen, Tillman and Gonzalez. If they would trade any of them it would have to be for better starting pitching IMO.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-five-questions-for-orioles-baseball-winter-meetings-pictures-2012,0,4461079.photogallery

What say you?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is just wrong. If the O's want to contend in 2013 they don't have the depth of decent starting pitching to trade Tillman for a MOO bat. The only decent starters they have to open the season with are Hammel, Chen, Tillman and Gonzalez. If they would trade any of them it would have to be for better starting pitching IMO.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-five-questions-for-orioles-baseball-winter-meetings-pictures-2012,0,4461079.photogallery

What say you?

Obviously it depends on the return. I wouldn't consider Tillman to be untouchable. If the Orioles believe that Bundy is a viable option for the Opening Day rotation and Gausman isn't too far behind, than they would probably be more comfortable moving Tillman for the right guy(s). It would be a risk but I think they would have to consider it if we are talking about someone like Butler or Hosmer coming back in return.

The big concern with Tillman is that if he regresses, he is out of options so he would have to stay with the major league team and his stock would drop significantly faster then if he could be optioned to the minors. If you don't believe in Hammel or Gonzo, you can't really believe in Tillman until you see the results reproduced.

Besides, if you want a true impact bat, you have to give up quality, you aren't going to get it with spare parts like Arrieta.

The big concern with Tillman is that if he regresses, he is out of options so he would have to stay with the major league team and his stock would drop significantly faster then if he could be optioned to the minors.

If they have a valid reason to believe that Tillman will regress, then this concern should be addressed. However, if they make roster decisions based on fear of what might happen, they are setting themselves up for disaster.

This is an extremely misleading title. In one of the article's 5 possibilities, which are clearly speculation, the writer says they MAY dangle Tillman or Matusz.
Here's the quote, bolded the relevant line:
Tillman, 24, made the most significant strides this past season, going 9-3 with a 2.93 ERA in 15 starts. And Matusz, 25, turned his season around when he moved to the bullpen (1.35 ERA, 2 ER, 5 H in 13 1/3 relief innings), becoming a shut-down left-handed reliever who could be used situationally or for extended use.

The club will look to dangle Tillman and Matusz more so than Arrieta and Britton, who the team feels still have significant upsides.

But the Orioles are confident other teams will be intrigued by all four at the winter meetings.

I don't see how the title is "extremely misleading".

Anyway, I don't mind them doing this. The connotation of "dangling" a player seems to be mostly saying that he's available and seeing how other teams value him. It doesn't seem like they'd be looking to move him just to move him, but if the right deal comes along, he's not untouchable.

Here's the quote, bolded the relevant line:I don't see how the title is "extremely misleading".

Anyway, I don't mind them doing this. The connotation of "dangling" a player seems to be mostly saying that he's available and seeing how other teams value him. It doesn't seem like they'd be looking to move him just to move him, but if the right deal comes along, he's not untouchable.

The article is clearly speculation. It also mentions the possibility of signing a big FA.

The article is clearly speculation. It also mentions the possibility of signing a big FA.
And how is the title misleading? It simply states that the article writer is saying the O's will dangle Tillman, which is what the writer stated in the article. Though I guess he said the O's would "look to dangle" instead of would "definitely dangle".
2. Will the Orioles go into Nashville willing to spend the money to sign a big-ticket free agent?

( McClatchy-Tribune / October 5, 2012 )

Not with the way the free-agent market is now.

The Orioles have watched as other teams spent frivolously, remaining content they haven?t lost out on much.

Despite the early rumors about Josh Hamilton, pictured, the Orioles remain uncomfortable with the years and money Hamilton commands, not to mention the inherent risk that comes from committing to a player who has had drug and alcohol addiction problems in the past.

If anything, the Orioles still see re-signing outfielder Nate McLouth, who was the team?s best player in the postseason, as a priority.

The longer he remains on the market, however, the more likely he will get a sizable deal elsewhere.

The club is also eyeing its options to add another starting pitcher, but not for more than a one-year deal.

Agree! Tillman is at his highest value right now. I like him but was disappointed with him as most on here prior to last season. We can afford to trade him. NOW! For Butler or Dickey.

The only way I would consider that trade is if we got both of them. You don't trade a young TOR starter for either one of them alone.

Archived