Undefeated Buckeyes: Shades of Auburn in 1993

OFFNY

o

After a dismal 1992 season (5-5-1) which ended with the departure of head coach Pat Dye, Auburn was on probation for the next following 2 seasons for booster payments to players. The ensuing fall, the 1993 Tigers put together an undefeated season, beating previously undefeated and eventual Sugar Bowl Champion Florida in the process. Also, that year's Auburn team was the only undefeated team in the nation, as 11-0 Nebraska was barely beaten by Florida State in the Orange Bowl, 18-16.

http://www.shrpsports.com/cf/teamseas.php?link=Y&team=Auburn&season=1993

This year's Ohio State team (12-0) is undoubtedly feeling a similar sort of redemption as did that 1993 Auburn team. They won't be playing for a national championship or going to any bowl game, but that 12-0 mark has to feel great. And, if Alabama beats Notre Dame in the national championship game next month, then Ohio State ...... just like Auburn in 1993 ...... will be the only undefeated team in the nation this year.

o

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
waroriole said:

I remember having to listen to the games on the radio because we were banned from TV. The first of 3 undefeated seasons in a span of 18 years.

o

Yes. And a lot of people forget that Auburn damn near went 22-0 over those 2 seasons of bowl and TV banishment !!!

In 1994, they went 9-0 in their first 9 games before they tied Georgia 23-23, and then lost a nail-biter to undefeated Alabama in the season finale, 21-14.

o

Yes. And a lot of people forget that Auburn damn near went 22-0 over those 2 seasons of bowl and TV banishment !!!

In 1994, they went 9-0 in their first 9 games before they tied Georgia 23-23, and then lost a nail-biter to undefeated Alabama in the season finale, 21-14.

Yeah, the UGA game killed me. 20 straight before they tied us on the last play with a FG. It's crazy that Terry Bowden just fell apart after that, but he was a terrible recruiter.

The "tattoo scandal" seemed like a big deal when the news broke, but it turned out to be trivial compared to what happened at Penn State.

I have to say, the way the various schools are hopscotching conferences just to grab more money, the sanctions for something like players getting free tattoos just seem ridiculously hypocritical. College sports are really a cesspool -- of course, that won't stop me from watching the games, because I enjoy them.

waroriole said:
o

I remember having to listen to the games on the radio because we were banned from TV. The first of 3 undefeated seasons in a span of 18 years.

o

o

11-0 AUBURN'S FINAL GAME OF THE 1993 SEASON (WIN OVER ALABAMA)

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

o

It's one year later, and once again, Ohio State is undefeated at 11-0.

The difference is that this year, the Buckeyes are eligible for their conference championship, bowl games, and ranking in the coaches' poll (last year, they were only eligible to be ranked in the sportswriters' poll.)

The Buckeyes have two final hurdles before the 2013 postseason schedule is announced ........ their match-up with the Michigan Wolverines tomorrow, and their conference championship game against the Michigan State Spartans next week.

o

o

Today's game between Michigan and Ohio State reminded me a lot of a game 30 years ago between Nebraska and Oklahoma.

In that game, Nebraska was 11-0 entering the contest, and Oklahoma was 7-4. The game was played on the homefield of the underdog, Oklahoma.

In today's game, Ohio State was 11-0 entering the contest, and Michigan was 7-4. The game was played on the homefield of the underdog, Michigan.

In the game 30 years ago, the game between Nebraska and Oklahoma went right down to the wire, with threatening to tie or win the game with possession of the ball deep in Nebraska territory.

In the game today, it also went right down to the wire, with Michigan failing to convert the 2-point conversion after scoring a touchdown, and lost by one point.

In the game 30 years ago, Oklahoma jumped out to a 7-0 lead before Nebraska tied it. Oklahoma then went ahead 14-7 before Nebraska tied it at 14. The process repeated itself when Oklahoma went ahead 21-14, with the Cornhuskers tying it at 21. Then, Nebraska finally went ahead 28-21, and that is how the game ended, with Oklahoma threatening deep in Nebraska territory, threatening to either tie it or win it.

In the game today, the scoring process was exactly the same today, with Michigan continually going ahead by 7 points, with Ohio State tying it each and every time, until they finally went ahead 28-21 (just as Nebraska did against Oklahoma 30 years ago.) The difference was the Ohio State added another touchdown, Michigan came back to tie it with 2 touchdowns of their own, and then they exchanged TD's at the end of the game, with Michigan failing to convert the 2-point conversion to give the Buckeyes the win.

RECAP OF 1983 GAME:

http://www.huskermax.com/games/1983/12oklahoma.html

o

Archived