Royals getting Shields and Wade Davis for Wil Myers and other prospects

andrewrickli

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Per Rosenthal.

Wonder if this hurts the chance of getting Butler or helps it? Or affects it at all?

Definitely. Royals have no reason to trade Butler now. Part of the reason he was on the block was to make room in the lineup for Myers. That's not an issue now.

Butler will not be traded.

If TB traded away Shields they didn't win. That is a big loss for them

One of the best prospects in baseball (plus others unnamed at this point) for 1 year of Shields and 5 years of Davis, who is a reliever for them because of their pitching depth. I think they'll be ok.

Butler will not be traded.

If TB traded away Shields they didn't win. That is a big loss for them

Let's see what the full trade is first, but if they got Wil Myers (as they almost certainly did), that seems like a big win to me. One of the top 2 or 3 prospects in all of baseball. Plus they're apparently getting other prospects as well. And the Rays have the rotation depth to put together a quality starting five even without Shields.

One of the best prospects in baseball (plus others unnamed at this point) for 1 year of Shields and Davis, who is a reliever for them because of their pitching depth. I think they'll be ok.

KC must have a pretty good idea that they can sign Shields. Can't see them making that trade if they thought Shields would walk after the 2013 season.

KC must have a pretty good idea that they can sign Shields. Can't see them making that trade if they thought Shields would walk after the 2013 season.

Shields has a club option for the 2014 season. So the Royals have him for 2 seasons assuming they pick up the option.

Archived